Great example of a Rock drummer playing Jazz!

Earthshine

Most Rock drummers can't begin to play Jazz. Nor could they read a chart.

But here is an outstanding example of one who can. Just listen how he swings the band, catches all the kicks, supports the soloists without getting in their way and just solos fabulously! I think he stole the show that night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKzZN5HVNzI&feature=related

This may even be better!

Edited by Earthshine

I was there. 1022.gif

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jul 25 2011, 12:46 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 25 2011, 12:41 PM)
I was there. 1022.gif

Cool! trink39.gif Can you please tell us what went down with Neil and Calhoun? Was Calhoun booed for his boorishness and unprofessionalism?

I dont remember anything like that. I just remember people not being into Neil so much. There were more than a few jazz snobs that laughed at neils performance. Wil did a good job and the one time I met him, he was very nice

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 25 2011, 12:57 PM)
I was there. 1022.gif

Cool! trink39.gif Can you please tell us what went down with Neil and Calhoun? Was Calhoun booed for his boorishness and unprofessionalism?

I dont remember anything like that. I just remember people not being into Neil so much. There were more than a few jazz snobs that laughed at neils performance. Wil did a good job and the one time I met him, he was very nice

There was a story out (I think Neil even wrote a letter to Modern Drummer magazine about it basically apologizing for it happening even though it was not his fault!) that went something like this:

Neil and Calhoun played a tune and were supposed to trade 4 measure solos. Well, supposedly Calhoun got so carried away, he just kept going and going and going well beyond 4 measures. Neil sat there looking like an idiot and looking humiliated. Supposedly Calhoun had that big Buckwheat grin on his face the whole time. biggrin.gif Somehow the band started up again to bring order to the chaos (probably on the cue of the late, great Steve Marcus who no doubt saw through this egotistical childishness immediately). I don't think Neil spoke to Calhoun afterwards and certainly did not invite him to play on the forthcoming album. I would love to hear the truth from somebody who actually saw this melee'.

Edited by Earthshine

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jul 25 2011, 11:53 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 25 2011, 12:57 PM)
I was there. 1022.gif

There was a story out (I think Neil even wrote a letter to Modern Drummer magazine about it basically apologizing for it happening even though it was not his fault!) that went something like this:

Neil and Calhoun played a tune and were supposed to trade 4 measure solos. Well, supposedly Calhoun got so carried away, he just kept going and going and going well beyond 4 measures. Neil sat there looking like an idiot and looking humiliated. Supposedly Calhoun had that big Buckwheat grin on his face the whole time. biggrin.gif Somehow the band started up again to bring order to the chaos (probably on the cue of the late, great Steve Marcus who no doubt saw through thisegotistical childishness immediately). I don't think Neil spoke to Calhoun afterwards and certainly did not invite him to play on the forthcoming album. I would love to hear the truth from somebody who actually saw this melee'.

That was a loping time ago laugh.gif and I read something about that but don't recall it. Wil was fantastic, that I remember. 1022.gif

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jul 26 2011, 11:48 AM)
I don't think Neil has anything to do with Cathy Rich anymore. Seems she stepped over the line with the whole movie idea. Seems she was pushy. VERY pushy.

That might be one of the reasons she is not married to steve, her ex anymore laugh.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 26 2011, 11:53 AM)
QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jul 26 2011, 11:48 AM)
I don't think Neil has anything to do with Cathy Rich anymore. Seems she stepped over the line with the whole movie idea. Seems she was pushy. VERY pushy.

That might be one of the reasons she is not married to steve, her ex anymore laugh.gif

rofl3.gif They are supposedly on good terms. Their kid Nick it a trip however! ohmy.gif So unlike his granddad.