The Zune Thread

Nate2112

QUOTE (Nate2112 @ Jul 24 2011, 10:59 AM)
Post any inquiries or complaints in this thread. Or if you are feeling up to it. Start a pleasant conversation about Zune

I had 2 of these and they both died. The software is awful too......never again for me.

I had one, I had some trouble with it and Microsoft sent me a link to a support page which didn't exist (error 404). Thankfully I was able to return it at the store.

I'm a Zune 120GB owner for about 3 years now. Never a single significant problem with it at all. I chose it over the iPod and it is a decision I do not regret. I love it.

The software isn't all that bad, but I wish it would do certain things.

Major likes:

You can transfer files from Zune -> Computer.

You can move/rename files and Zune is intuitive enough to keep links alive.

Folder monitoring is nearly flawless. Any music I add to my monitored folders is automatically added to my Zune software and then synced with my player.

Zune's battery is strong as hell. I've hosted weekend long parties where the player was going non stop for about 14 hours then start again the next day for several more hours and the battery did not need recharging.

Player controls and menus are simple and easy to navigate.

The wireless syncing is neat, but using it is a battery drainer. It's easier to sync from the wire. But sending songs and pictures between mine and my daughter's Zune is fun, and easy.

The display (at the time of purchase) was larger than any of the other large-capacity players on the market.

Wish List:

I'd like the software to be able to map out all playlists a song is associated with. So when I right click on it and get properties, it will list all playlists it's included in.

I'd like the software to allow me to export my playlists, or entire song catalog to a spreadsheet or database. It's all Microsoft, so to me this should be a no brainer.

When adding playlists/genres/artists/albums to "now playing", I'd like the Zune player to display it as a Subheader in the songlist. This way, if I want to remove it, I can scroll to the subheader title and delete from the song list.

The player does not have a search feature, which makes trying to get to a particular song a bit of a challenge. They should add a Search feature.

Audio controls. There are none. I'd like to have volume boosts, treble/bass adjustments, and EQ presets.

Been a faithful Zune user for about 3-4 years (not so happily the past year though). Ever since the enormously overpriced ZuneHD came out what seems like seconds after the original 120, I've sort of lost interest. When Zune first came out it was "on-par" with iPod at best and at no point in it's life did it ever make a significant attempt at outdoing the iPod (besides catering to Apple-haters). I've owned two 80GB models for as long as I've had a Zune and never did I feel like I was holding something better than anything else on the market.

I use the Zune software today as my primary source of playing music from my PC (probably just because I own a Zune and I love the layout of the software). The fact that there is no EQ to be found on the device or the software is COMPLETELY ridiculous though. I've also ran into a million-and-one problems with syncing, deleting, tagging, organization, even playing. I suppose I've just learned to deal with it since I'm stuck with it as long as I have a Zune.

I loved the look and feel of the Zune, I loved the idea behind the Zune. But Microsoft absolutely refused to do anything that would make people go "I could get an iPod, but check out what the Zune does better!" They rushed out the HD and simultaneously pissed off those who realized the HD wasn't all it was cracked up to be and those who owned the original models who realized that they're being ditched.

I'm not an "Apple-lover" at all, but if you look at them, you'd see that they managed to create a completely efficient and versatile software (iTunes) and also were able to fully support 4 different models of iPods (which in turn were constantly kept relevant by iTunes). Microsoft never bothered to even fully support their original 2 Zunes when they were current (before the HD, us Zune owners had to download a crapload of third-party apps just to play someones homemade games) before jumping to the HD.

...Sorry, I'm ranting.