Warehouse jobs

ALifeson85

So, I have worked 4 different warehouse jobs over the years. And I have come to the realization that they all have some of the WORST politics / work ethics, in terms of the workplace. Right now, I work for a certain distribution center (won't give any names, for my job's sake, LOL tongue.gif ), and they preach about how "family comes FIRST" and all that...yet every time anybody requests a day off (a personal day, that is...that they EARNED), due to a family matter, the supervisors throw a major bitch-fit, and you never hear the end of it - for WEEKS.

It wouldn't be SO bad (i suppose), if they didn't preach their "family first" stuff, and THEN turn around and bitch you out for it, ya know? Who needs that?? And i'm not even talking about people who constantly call out...b/c THEY ARE THE ONES WHO NEVER GET CHEWED OUT FOR IT!!! banghead.gif ...yet if... say...ME, who very RARELY calls out / leaves early, were to request off/call out/ect...I'd pretty much be crucified for it.

The reason I mention "warehouse" jobs, in regards to this, is because those are the only jobs I have had, where I have experienced this. confused13.gif

I know I shouldn't really complain, since a job is a job, and I should be lucky to have one due to the economic issues we are facing, but, it's just one of those things...

Unfortunately, politics are the name of the game in so many production oriented fields. (By production, I don't mean that anything is necessarily produced, but rather industries where profit is determined by volume, not quality)

I worked in construction and in finance...both suck @$$. I loved the work itself, but the politics and how you would only be rewarded by being a douche was just too much for me. I got so sick of how many "below" me in the chain resented me and "above" me in the chain being suspicious that I was out to get them (therefore they were out to get me). user posted image

I do believe there must be organizations out there that don't foster this dog eat dog philosophy, I just don't know what they are.

I don't work in a warehouse and it is the same. There are two kinds of bosses: the ones that look for a reason to comply with your request and the ones that look for a reason to deny your request. In my experience the split is about 5%/95% respectively. most are a-holes.

I work for, Lowe's. I feel your pain.

and man did you hit the nail on the head on so many levels. The slackers who call out all the time but know how to kiss ass are bulletproof.

It makes me sick.

Edited by tick

I worked in a warehouse/distribution center (Ace Hardware) for many years. There was no problem with taking a personal day, as long as you had accrued some. You could even take half-days. The management staff was decently professional about it. You could even call in sick, and as long as you didn't go over the limit of "unexcused absences", you were not harrassed or penalized.

The problem with Ace Hardware, at least with this particular staff, is that they were totalitarian in their methods. They tried to control your private life. In your annual performance review, they would bring up your participation in company picnics and Christmas parties, as if your wage increase depended on it. They expected you to be smily happy while on duty. They monitored and measured every moment of your time while on duty. You were required to meet a certain daily quota of performance, which they documented every single day. They expected you to punch in early, and they contested every single minute you worked past quitting time. In short, they tried their best to make you be a robot.

I lasted 7+ years and then quit to go back to university. I miss some of the people there, but I certainly don't miss management!! no.gif

I did the Warehouse gig from 80-86.

(Got the job by passing a 3 month electronic's training course.)

Worked at an electronic's factory, that built

converter boxes for early cable tv...My job

was to adjust the wave frequencies

on an electronic screen , so that

the box would pass inspection..

I did that for about a yr or 2..then moved to other areas

of the plant, like material handling..also worked on the assembly

line too...it was pretty repetitious and fairly boring....

but it paid the few bills I had at the time..so..it worked.

Meet alot of cool people there, but..at the time , we felt

like cattle punchin' the clock, so to speak..

It was an ok job for a twenty-one yr old to have.

It had it's good and bad moments, for sure.

Started my own biz in late 86, which I do presently.

I enjoy my biz a great deal..very rewarding.

Edited by go2wrk@95974