Help, please!

Good,bad,andrush

I'm going to make another point here.

Presumably this program has limited spots. It's likely there are some students who would KILL for the opportunity who will not get to do it. Students who want to go into a medical profession.

Were I one of those future med students, it would eat me up knowing that one of those spots is filled by a guy who doesn't give a flip about it and is only there because his parents insisted.

Why take their spot?

(Though it does sound like a ton of fun).

Has everyone forgotten what it's like to be in high school?

I know education is important, having had plenty of it myself.

GB&R clearly does as well. He sounds like a responsible and forward-thinking young man. Re-read his opening post - it's not as if he skips school to hang around the basement smoking pot and listening to music, has poor grades and no ambition. His ambitions might not be OUR ambitions, but writing is his passion. That might change - he might get 2 years into university and decide "screw writing, I want to be a doctor". Or he might not.

The fact that he is even weighing out these two choices (as opposed to yelling and screaming and having a tantrum that he can't go see his favorite band) demonstrates a certain level of maturity.

Sheesh, some of these posts sound like you guys think he needs to adopt an "all-work-and-no-play" approach to life. THAT comes soon enough. I hardly think his wish to see Rush is an indicator that priorities need adjusting. This is probably not one of those life-altering choices.

Count me in as a vote for the concert. This is a one-off thing. As mentioned before, if you had any interest in practicing medicine, it would make sense to take advantage of the opportunity and try to see Rush at a different time.

But GB&R, if the decision is made for you: no whining, and go with the attitude that you will make the most of it. It won't be the last time you'll have to choose the less attractive option out of necessity.

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Apr 21 2011, 07:16 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Apr 21 2011, 06:15 PM)
I don't even want to be a doctor....

This should be the only factor in your decision. Are you SURE that you don't want to be a doctor? You had better be really, really sure.

Your mother's feelings don't matter.

A rock concert doesn't matter.

The future status of a rock band doesn't matter.

All that matters is YOUR LIFE/YOUR CAREER and what you want to do with it. If you skip this educational opportunity, you may regret it for the rest of your life.

Good luck. 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

I couldn't have said it any better.

Workaholic Man is pretty smart for a Packers fan smile.gif

Archived