The Song Thread

Good,bad,andrush

This thread works like the "r" spot thread combined with the unique noises in Rush songs. The biggest difference is the organization of this thread, and how specific it should be. Of course, if you are not a musician, I don't expect you to say "the septuplet consisting of three key changes from f# to b to e flat in just three seconds" but you should provide a specific time. More importantly, we will only post about one song per day.

We will go in order. Another point of this thread is for you to realize new stuff in Rush songs you haven't heard in a while or realize how great the classics are, and perhaps find something redeeming in songs you dismissed earlier.

So that said, first song of this thread, for the next 24 hours: Finding My Way. What is your favorite part about it? (If I don't get to update in 24 hours and switch to Need Some Love, someone else may; we will go in order by album and track listing)

I love the vocals at exactly 39 seconds, where you kind of hear Geddy breathe and right before his voice gets more aggressive.

When Geddy opens up with with "oooo sit down, I'm coming to get 'cha, I'm comin' out to find you ooooo yeah. FINDING MY WAY".

IMO, that climax is the best part of the song.

Why must there be so many rules? In order? No thank you. Seriously, let it flow. That's part of the pleasure of listening to Rush for me. It's why I choose ALL RUSH on my MP3 player and hit "shuffle." smile.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Apr 4 2011, 07:56 PM)
Why must there be so many rules? In order? No thank you. Seriously, let it flow. That's part of the pleasure of listening to Rush for me. It's why I choose ALL RUSH on my MP3 player and hit "shuffle." smile.gif

I get you, but this thread is so that there is an organized version where somebody can easily refer to a song and so that we find everyone's favorite part of each song. Yeah, you can post whatever, but then i feel some songs will get left out or we won't pay attention to songs we should. We'd post stuff off the top of our head instead of discovering something new. The other threads still exist so post in them if you don't like the rules, which aren't even so restricting. It's just "post about the song of the day," really, with the rules of the other threads. Both threads have their ups and downs.

I like the very beginning of Finding My Way. The way the volume slowly increases and the adrenaline builds up to our first Geddy wail.

QUOTE (usb_connector @ Apr 5 2011, 12:12 AM)
When Geddy opens up with with "oooo sit down, I'm coming to get 'cha, I'm comin' out to find you ooooo yeah. FINDING MY WAY".

IMO, that climax is the best part of the song.

I must admit, that part is absolutely incredible! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Apr 5 2011, 10:08 AM)
I like the very beginning of Finding My Way. The way the volume slowly increases and the adrenaline builds up to our first Geddy wail.

Agreed. Also the guitar solo.

Time for Need Some Love.

Go ahead and post, I need to listen to it again and I can't right now since i don't want to interrupt listening to the Ctte album wub.gif

But it's about time for Need Some Love. Post your favorite part yes.gif

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Apr 5 2011, 08:14 PM)
Time for Need Some Love.

Go ahead and post, I need to listen to it again and I can't right now since i don't want to interrupt listening to the Ctte album wub.gif

But it's about time for Need Some Love. Post your favorite part yes.gif

Not big on Need Some Love. As with many Rush songs, it's gotta be the Alex riffage for me as the highlight. Certainly this song speaks for the reason Neil was assigned the lyric writing duties.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Apr 6 2011, 07:05 PM)
I don't have much to say about Need Some Love, but I love Geddy's vocals even though what he's saying is cheesy. It sounds like he's really having a good time yes.gif

Alright, time for Take a Friend!

I'll extend this for a while since I haven't listened to this in a while and nobody has posted abbot it sad.gif

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Apr 8 2011, 04:21 PM)
Take A Friend: I dig the fade-in/fade-out (Rush were conceptual even then! tongue.gif ), Geddy's vamp vocals on the outro and another kick-ass Lerxst solo. common001.gif 2.gif common001.gif

I like the fade-in a lot too, and I agree Rush had a tiny bit of prog in there, mainly because Ged And Lerxst where fans of Yes and Genesis.

Next up, Here Again, my personal favorite from this album and the lyrics are actually pretty good. Lerxt's solo is absolutely brilliant, I love the very first note he holds just a little longer than the ones before it.

Archived