The Greatest Prog Metal Band

Nate2112

QUOTE (Gompers @ Mar 22 2011, 04:56 PM)
But the real question is...is there such a thing as Folk Metal? Or Prog Folk? Or Prog Country? Or Death Metal Folk Country Prog?

:explodingheadsmiley:

Yes there is such a thing as Prog Folk.

The Decemberists did it with "The Hazards Of Love" and "The Crane Wife."

Two epic masterpiece. "The King Is Dead" is just sharply crafted folk. I still can't get into it.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Tony R @ Mar 22 2011, 02:39 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Mar 22 2011, 09:21 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Mar 22 2011, 02:16 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Mar 22 2011, 08:33 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Mar 22 2011, 12:19 PM)
By the way, can we just get one thing straight.

I am not trolling here, this is my belief. It's not born out of snobbery, I like bands like Opeth and Tool, I just don't think they are Prog Rock. I don't understand how even if you don't agree you can't accept that I am serious.

I am an Admin a little known Prog site called Progarchives. So whilst I believe what I believe I haven't tried to impose my views and create a movement to rid PA of metal, nor would I. I accept that in this day and age the goalposts have moved and Prog is a big umbrella

No way dude! You are the Admin at ProgArchives? I love that site!

You have made me a very poor man! I've spent a ton of money on prog cds thanks to your reviews!

Right now I'm in a serious Gentle Giant phase. Certainly not prog metal, but they have their moments.

Signed,

"OCTOPUS"

I've been trying to get into Gentle Giant for 35 years and whilst I am slightly nearer to appreciating them I am not there yet. I must have heard at least 4 of their albums a couple of dozen times over that period and am very familiar with them but...

Maybe when my tastes mature I will get there.

Yeah Tony they are a hard band to get into but once it sinks in they are addicting. You seem to you know your stuff though.

The first four GG albums are the ones to get into first!

Self Titled

Acquiring The Taste

Three Friends

Octopus

Could one debate that Metallica was acutally PROGMETALLICA?

At least the first four albums right? "And Justice For All" screams Prog Metal. But then they went commercial. JMO

Well if one has to have Prog Metal then certainly Metallica's early albums qualify in some way or other, more progressive in the usual sense of the word than many of the established Prog-Metal bands but "Prog"? Not so sure. Prog-metal-Related? There you go, another new sub-genre wink.gif

Endless Sub-Genres!!

QUOTE (Gompers @ Mar 22 2011, 07:56 PM)
But the real question is...is there such a thing as Folk Metal? Or Prog Folk? Or Prog Country? Or Death Metal Folk Country Prog?

yes, Folk Metal does exist.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Mar 22 2011, 04:18 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Mar 22 2011, 09:06 PM)
I view it as an overlap of two generals of Rock... here....... Prog Metal is both Prog and Metal, It can fall under both banners IMO

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh241/the_owl2112/One%20time%20photos%20for%20posts/progmetal.jpg

Sorry if my microsoft paint skills are up to par......lol

Don't worry, it's difficult to write when you have claws instead of hands Owl.

:/

Well I am using the damn pad thingy they give you on a laptop....not a mouse.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Mar 22 2011, 04:59 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Mar 22 2011, 07:56 PM)

yes, Folk Metal does exist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wintersun

Check this band out, they're great but everyone has trouble defining their true genre.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Mar 22 2011, 07:48 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Mar 22 2011, 04:56 PM)

Yes there is such a thing as Prog Folk.

The Decemberists did it with "The Hazards Of Love" and "The Crane Wife."

Two epic masterpiece. "The King Is Dead" is just sharply crafted folk. I still can't get into it.

I got heavily into the Decemberists when I heard Castaways and Cutouts in 2002. My wife and I saw their first NYC show in '03 and I skipped out on hanging out with them after the show cuz I had to get back to the kids in Jersey and it was a work night. doh.gif

I stopped following them for years, but I am greatly enjoying The King is Dead. Agreed, it sounds farther from "prog" than their earlier material, but I find it very satisfying.

Archived