Baseball Trivia

anagramking

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (anagramking @ May 13 2005, 06:22 PM)
QUOTE (troutman @ May 13 2005, 04:35 PM)
QUOTE (anagramking @ May 13 2005, 02:48 PM)
Trout, I saw on this page that Eddie Collins (White Sox HOF second baseman) stole 6 bases twice in the 1910s, but it does not say whether they were nine inning games or not.  A couple of guys stole 7 before 1900, so that's before the modern era, of course. 

http://baseball-almanac.com/recbooks/rb_stba.shtml

This is a great website, and I've learned a lot of stuff there.  Check out some of the other stuff there when you get a chance.

Hey thanks for the info. AGK. Yeah I saw that also about the stolen bases. I almost didn't post the question about Gwynn but figured there must be a reason for seperating him from the other guys. I don't know the details on the game situations they were in. Hey I was wondering, can you tell me what the atmosphere at "wrigley field is like and also the old "county stadium" in Milwaukee? I seem to recall you mentioned them in the past before. They seem like a great place to see a baseball game. I have only been to "Dodger & Anahiem" stadium for games.

troutman trink39.gif

Wrigley is old school. There is very little in the way of advertisements, and the scoreboard is still manually operated. When the weather is nice, it's a great place to sit back and watch baseball, though the baseball that's played there often leaves little to be desired. A ticket at Wrigley can be especially hard to come by. Tickets for the upcoming Red Sox series start around $200 apiece, I've heard. There is an environment that has nothing to do with baseball (especially in the bleachers) at Wrigley. Some call Wrigley the world's largest open air tavern. But Wrigley is part of the history of baseball. My grandfather grew up going to games there. He saw Gabby Hartnett's Homer in the Gloamin' to beat the Pirates for the pennant on the last day of the season, back in the 30s.

County Stadium, well that was so long ago, and I was just a kid when I went, though the baseball was always good there when I went. They had great teams 25 years ago. The tailgating scene was something of legend there (and they tell me it still thrives, tho less fans go today), but it might not be as legendary as the scene at Lambeau before Packer games. A bratwurst is the traditional food there, along with a Leinenkugel Red, though I'm not sure they serve that at Miller Park. Can't remeber if that beer is brewed by Miller or not. My mom went to games at County Stadium back in the late 50s, when the Braves played there, and they had great teams back then.

I loved games at Dodger Stadium. Now that I got the MLB package on cable this summer, I get to hear Vin call the games when I stay up late enough. I miss that a lot. There will never be another announcer like Vin Scully. Enjoy it while it lasts, because he won't be there forever, though it seems like he will sometimes.

I posted another question a few posts back. It's kind of hidden back there. I'm away this weekend, again, if I'm slow to respond.

That's Awsome about your experiences and also your family history with these ball parks. I love history especially with the old ball parks. I would love to have a few brewskies on a nice day at wrigley field, just the atmosphere must be fantastic. I grew up in California and loved the 70's watching and listening to the Dodger games what memories with Vin Scully he is for sure the best but there are alot of great announcers. Remember the "farmer john comercials"? they were great 653.gif I will have to think about your latest question that one is interesting. Anyway, thanks for the info. on the stadiums, very cool cool.gif

troutman trink39.gif

QUOTE (anagramking @ May 13 2005, 06:22 PM)
QUOTE (troutman @ May 13 2005, 04:35 PM)
QUOTE (anagramking @ May 13 2005, 02:48 PM)
Trout, I saw on this page that Eddie Collins (White Sox HOF second baseman) stole 6 bases twice in the 1910s, but it does not say whether they were nine inning games or not.  A couple of guys stole 7 before 1900, so that's before the modern era, of course. 

http://baseball-almanac.com/recbooks/rb_stba.shtml

This is a great website, and I've learned a lot of stuff there.  Check out some of the other stuff there when you get a chance.

Hey thanks for the info. AGK. Yeah I saw that also about the stolen bases. I almost didn't post the question about Gwynn but figured there must be a reason for seperating him from the other guys. I don't know the details on the game situations they were in. Hey I was wondering, can you tell me what the atmosphere at "wrigley field is like and also the old "county stadium" in Milwaukee? I seem to recall you mentioned them in the past before. They seem like a great place to see a baseball game. I have only been to "Dodger & Anahiem" stadium for games.

troutman trink39.gif

Wrigley is old school. There is very little in the way of advertisements, and the scoreboard is still manually operated. When the weather is nice, it's a great place to sit back and watch baseball, though the baseball that's played there often leaves little to be desired. A ticket at Wrigley can be especially hard to come by. Tickets for the upcoming Red Sox series start around $200 apiece, I've heard. There is an environment that has nothing to do with baseball (especially in the bleachers) at Wrigley. Some call Wrigley the world's largest open air tavern. But Wrigley is part of the history of baseball. My grandfather grew up going to games there. He saw Gabby Hartnett's Homer in the Gloamin' to beat the Pirates for the pennant on the last day of the season, back in the 30s.

County Stadium, well that was so long ago, and I was just a kid when I went, though the baseball was always good there when I went. They had great teams 25 years ago. The tailgating scene was something of legend there (and they tell me it still thrives, tho less fans go today), but it might not be as legendary as the scene at Lambeau before Packer games. A bratwurst is the traditional food there, along with a Leinenkugel Red, though I'm not sure they serve that at Miller Park. Can't remeber if that beer is brewed by Miller or not. My mom went to games at County Stadium back in the late 50s, when the Braves played there, and they had great teams back then.

I loved games at Dodger Stadium. Now that I got the MLB package on cable this summer, I get to hear Vin call the games when I stay up late enough. I miss that a lot. There will never be another announcer like Vin Scully. Enjoy it while it lasts, because he won't be there forever, though it seems like he will sometimes.

I posted another question a few posts back. It's kind of hidden back there. I'm away this weekend, again, if I'm slow to respond.

DALE MURPHY.. FULTON COUNTY STADIUM??? unsure.gif unsure.gif unsure.gif

QUOTE (anagramking @ May 15 2005, 06:49 PM)
QUOTE (troutman @ May 15 2005, 01:13 AM)
DALE MURPHY.. FULTON COUNTY STADIUM??? unsure.gif  unsure.gif  unsure.gif

Nope. Hall of Famer.

Carl Yastrzemski, Fenway Park

Popeye in his younger days laugh.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/troutbum/zimmer1.jpg

QUOTE (troutman @ May 15 2005, 08:17 PM)
QUOTE (anagramking @ May 15 2005, 06:49 PM)
QUOTE (troutman @ May 15 2005, 01:13 AM)
DALE MURPHY.. FULTON COUNTY STADIUM??? unsure.gif  unsure.gif  unsure.gif

Nope. Hall of Famer.

Carl Yastrzemski, Fenway Park

Popeye in his younger days laugh.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/troutbum/zimmer1.jpg

Not Yaz. Nice pic of Zimmer. Looks like he had the wad of chew in his mouth back then, too.

I think Todd Helton has a chance to break the record if he stays in Colorado for the rest of his career. I read that he hits 80 points better at home than on the road, also.

Back to the question, go back further than Yaz. This player had the advantage of a lot of cheap homers down the lines in his home park.

QUOTE (anagramking @ May 15 2005, 09:43 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ May 15 2005, 09:39 PM)
Mel Ott at the Polo Grounds

Well done. You are up, Test. Welcome back.

Good job new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif I would be interested in the stats. Thanks.

troutman trink39.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ May 15 2005, 10:23 PM)

Good job new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif I would be interested in the stats. Thanks.

troutman trink39.gif

I think it was 320 some homers....

Thanks AK....

Next question.....

Who is the first player to hit into a triple play and hit a grand slam homer in the same game?

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ May 15 2005, 11:27 PM)

Thanks AK....

Next question.....

Who is the first player to hit into a triple play and hit a grand slam homer in the same game?

Cal Ripken, Jr.?

QUOTE (anagramking @ May 16 2005, 09:48 AM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ May 15 2005, 11:27 PM)

Thanks AK....

Next question.....

Cal Ripken, Jr.?

no.gif AK, sorry....he was just an average player...not a star or hall of famer...

QUOTE (anagramking @ May 16 2005, 02:18 PM)
Mickey Tettleton

no.gif

To clarify....when he did this he was a catcher....he is now playing on a different team but has since switched to playing first base because the team he is with now acquired a good hitting catcher in the off season (new hint)

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ May 16 2005, 02:27 PM)
Mickey Tettleton

no.gif

To clarify....when he did this he was a catcher....he is now playing on a different team but has since switched to playing first base because the team he is with now acquired a good hitting catcher in the off season (new hint)

Matt LeCroy?

QUOTE (anagramking @ May 16 2005, 02:34 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ May 16 2005, 02:27 PM)
Mickey Tettleton

no.gif

Matt LeCroy?

no.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ May 16 2005, 03:47 PM)
Mike Sweeney

no sorry trout....Sweeney moved to first base a few years back...

sorry another clarification...he had been playing first base ever since he was traded from his original team where he was a catcher.

next clue...the guy who took over catcher on his first team was recently named captain of that team (only 3rd time in history of the teamsince 1923)

also...he(the guy i'm looking for) took over first base for his new team to fill in void by the reigning AL MVP at that time who left via free agency...

Archived