Not Too New Here

Good,bad,andrush

I have quite a few posts here already...I guess just because I became addicted to this forum immediately tongue.gif

Anyway, I thought I'd just introduce myself.

I'm still a kid in high school, just a junior who just finished his first college class. I do consider myself to be rather intelligent (wisdom and intelligence are not the same things), but at the same time rather lazy. I sometimes come across as arrogant...and I guess I kind of am. But I am humble and respectful to those who actually deserve respect. Not that I disrespect those who are disrespectful...I just disregard them tongue.gif

I'm a musician and a writer. I participate in martial arts for fitness and just because Jiu-jitsu is loads of fun. I am in a special program for health sciences, even though they bore me. I am more interested in video game design, and/or computer engineering. But I do believe it to be rather possible that I can write a book, publish it, and become a decent author. I'd also like to become a musician. But of course, the chances of that happening are painfully low...hence the reason why I'm doing this health science program.

I used to be in band in middle school, and then I joined football. So one extreme to the other. Now I'm in neither; I'm just focusing on academic competition and school. Because of these extremes, I have friends everywhere...but I only have three very close friends, and those are my two band mates and a friend who lives out of town sad.gif

Enough about me, here's the reason why I love Rush.

At first listen: These three guys sound like 6! Those drums rock, and so does the bass! Man, is that guy playing bass like that and singing at the same time? Wait, and keyboards too?

Further analysis: Man, some of those lyrics are pretty deep, and Geddy's voice is growing on me. Those DRUMS! The guitar is cool too, but whatever.

Discovery of Natural Science, La Villa Strangiato, and Bravado: That guitar is not whatever. That guitarist is quite possibly the best. These three guys are just monster musicians, and incredibly smart writers, both lyrically and musically. Gotta check them out more.

Discovery of the Cygnus X-1 Duology, as well as everything else: this is hands down the best band in the world. These three guys are very honest, to their fans, their craft, and most importantly to themselves. Of course, I'd be naive of me to think they were perfect...but in a way, they are. I don't expect them to be pristine...I expect them to be who they are. They are the balance that the world is missing. I like everything they've done simply because it is honest, and musically pleasing. The music normally matches the wise and loving lyrics perfectly, and the musicianship is unmatched. This is perfection.

I go listen to other great music: Great...but it doesn't match Rush.

Nice to stumble across this forum,

Good,bad,andrush.

Heeeeey, fellow writer, glad to finally reply directly to you. tongue.gif Just out of curiosity, did you do NaNoWriMo this past year?

Anyways.. Wow, a college course? I took two AP classes last year and I think I got a few credit hours because I did well on the exams (I'm a senior this year, btw) but holy cow, you seem like quite the overachiever. Good for you though! And I think it's epic you played football. I'm not athletic at all (aside from marching band... Alto Saxophone section leader, for the win) but I watch football like my second religion.

Just out of curiosity, since we're relatively close to the same age, when did you first start getting into Rush?

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Dec 29 2010, 01:07 PM)
Heeeeey, fellow writer, glad to finally reply directly to you. tongue.gif Just out of curiosity, did you do NaNoWriMo this past year?

Anyways.. Wow, a college course? I took two AP classes last year and I think I got a few credit hours because I did well on the exams (I'm a senior this year, btw) but holy cow, you seem like quite the overachiever. Good for you though! And I think it's epic you played football. I'm not athletic at all (aside from marching band... Alto Saxophone section leader, for the win) but I watch football like my second religion.

Just out of curiosity, since we're relatively close to the same age, when did you first start getting into Rush?

I was addicted to Tom Sawyer because I loved the book. I read a kid's version of it when I was almost six, and then my dad showed me the song. I would play Tom Sawyer tons on my Moving Pictures disc, while staring at the brilliant album cover. I liked that they had a song called Witch Hunt, but I don't remember if I liked it.

Later on, I lost the MP disc, but I was into their famous tunes, like TSoR and Freewill and 2112. I had downloaded them on my ipod. Then my dad took me to an S&A tour....and yeah.

And I finished a novel, but it's part of a series.

That series is also one of my band's concept albums, although we're not done with it just yet.

And no, I'm not a trekkie.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Dec 29 2010, 03:11 AM)
I have quite a few posts here already...I guess just because I became addicted to this forum immediately tongue.gif

Anyway, I thought I'd just introduce myself.
I'm still a kid in high school, just a junior who just finished his first college class. I do consider myself to be rather intelligent (wisdom and intelligence are not the same things), but at the same time rather lazy. I sometimes come across as arrogant...and I guess I kind of am. But I am humble and respectful to those who actually deserve respect. Not that I disrespect those who are disrespectful...I just disregard them tongue.gif

I'm a musician and a writer. I participate in martial arts for fitness and just because Jiu-jitsu is loads of fun. I am in a special program for health sciences, even though they bore me. I am more interested in video game design, and/or computer engineering. But I do believe it to be rather possible that I can write a book, publish it, and become a decent author. I'd also like to become a musician. But of course, the chances of that happening are painfully low...hence the reason why I'm doing this health science program.

I used to be in band in middle school, and then I joined football. So one extreme to the other. Now I'm in neither; I'm just focusing on academic competition and school. Because of these extremes, I have friends everywhere...but I only have three very close friends, and those are my two band mates and a friend who lives out of town sad.gif

Enough about me, here's the reason why I love Rush.

At first listen: These three guys sound like 6! Those drums rock, and so does the bass! Man, is that guy playing bass like that and singing at the same time? Wait, and keyboards too?

Further analysis: Man, some of those lyrics are pretty deep, and Geddy's voice is growing on me. Those DRUMS! The guitar is cool too, but whatever.

Discovery of Natural Science, La Villa Strangiato, and Bravado: That guitar is not whatever. That guitarist is quite possibly the best. These three guys are just monster musicians, and incredibly smart writers, both lyrically and musically. Gotta check them out more.

Discovery of the Cygnus X-1 Duology, as well as everything else: this is hands down the best band in the world. These three guys are very honest, to their fans, their craft, and most importantly to themselves. Of course, I'd be naive of me to think they were perfect...but in a way, they are. I don't expect them to be pristine...I expect them to be who they are. They are the balance that the world is missing. I like everything they've done simply because it is honest, and musically pleasing. The music normally matches the wise and loving lyrics perfectly, and the musicianship is unmatched. This is perfection.

I go listen to other great music: Great...but it doesn't match Rush.

Nice to stumble across this forum,

Good,bad,andrush.

It is great to see high school students getting into Rush. I teach high school and there are very few of my students (even in the AP class I teach) who like Rush. Most of the ones who mention them usually tell me that Dad likes Rush. They usually say it with a roll of their eyes. Also, bravo to your writing. I never would have pegged you for being in high school after reading your posts.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Dec 29 2010, 03:11 AM)
They are the balance that the world is missing.

That is an awesome way to describe Rush! Welcome, and it's great to hear more about you!

As I was saying over in my intro thread, I'm deeply affected by how these guys acknowledge the fact that life can be very tough, but compliment humanity on its ability to withstand this and still shine. Their musical delivery of their message is empowering, while never losing touch with reality. I came away from their show feeling like I'd woken from the dead, but ready for the feeling to fade in a few weeks. It didn't. Four months on, I'm still emotionally stronger than I've been in years.

Wherever your (and our) lives take us, I think we're all in great hands to have Rush as the soundtrack. I look forward to the shared experience! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif 2.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif