Lessons

Good,bad,andrush

Here, I am going to grab each song from the Fly By Night Album all the way to the two new tunes...and describe the meaning behind it, and the lesson to be had from it. I will be posting a few a day, and this is not very formal, so I'm just going to describe really what it means to me.

1.Anthem: This one is pretty obvious; it basically states that we must live our lives for ourselves. The first time I heard this, reading the lyrics as I followed the music, I thought I was being given a pretty neat way to live my life. And then came the: the song was written for me, not you. And I felt crushed for a second. But this song is a pretty great example of how I've began to live my life. I am caring for others...but I care about me first, and make sure I do what I have to do before I can help anyone else. I believe more people should be like this; similarly, Montgomery's essay, The Island Of Plenty, describes what happens when people are focused on helping others and not themselves. Remember, give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him forever. But how can you teach a man to fish if you don't know how to yourself?

2.Best I Can: Another obvious one. The title says it all. Really. Do the best you can. Which is actually something Rush has been doing, unlike most other artists out there today.

3.Beneath, Between, and Behind: About the fallacies of America. Or rather, the mistake we made, and continue to make. The founding fathers left us with a brilliant republic, an idea that would flourish only if we took care of it. But of course, our greed took over as did our betrayal of what the founding fathers left us with. I think this song just shows how sometimes people don't appreciate what is giving to them, on a much grander scale, with a nation rather than person.

4.By-tor And The Snow Dog: A classic battle between darkness and light; however, light (Snow Dog) doesn't seem to be such a romantic character--rather, he is described with coal-black eyes full of hate. What this means to me is that there will always be battles we must face, and you can't remain the light-hearted and passive individual that you are...you must sometimes resort to cruel measures to get what you want.

5.Fly By Night: Exemplifies the importance of change in our life. You have to constantly by changing to become king. And when you do become king, you must still change, with every season if you have to. Of course, this change doesn't mean to abandon your principals; it simply means we must be in control of what's happening around us.

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Nov 18 2010, 02:36 AM)
The Pass - I retract 2112. Sorry that I set a bad example.

Ah, but that's what makes 2112 such a great tragedy - that he kills himself so close to the restoration of the culture he wished to have been a part of. It makes a very dramatic statement of why you shouldn't kill yourself - because positive change can be right around the corner.

6. Making Memories: This is a great song for bands that are starting out, as well as just people who tend to get bored with commonplace life. It basically tells me to go out there and do something that I'll be able to remember and enjoy, something that you can do that'll become a great novel for example. Just go out there and make memories with the time we have.

7. Rivendell:This tells me that it's okay to sometimes relax and let yourself get lost in a fantasy setting. Or whatever your fantasy is.

8. In The End: This is a love song, but it's not cliched. It says we need to respect or partners, and accept that we are different overall. A great song for when you get in a fight with your loved one.

I'd mention that "Anthem" is heavily influenced by Ayn Rand's writing. The "I wrote this for me not for you" is pretty core to her philosophies.

I'm not a fan of Rand, and I do think Peart ended up distancing himself from her philosophies later on, but there are plenty of Rand fans around who would disagree.

Archived