*Spoilers* "Devil".. a quick question

Hemispheres89

So, let me just start out by saying, that I friggin LOVED this movie. I don't care what anyone else had to negatively say about it, I was stunned. It had me on the edge of my seat the entire time and I could feel my heart racing.

When it was revealed that the devil was in fact the "old lady", I was shocked, but also puzzled. There was something I didn't totally understand about this, and here it is...

Had the devil been the "old lady" ALL along? Or did it just take control of her body afterward?

Going through the movie on the first run, I was planning on "picking out that one person" who was the devil. It had never occurred to me until AFTER I walked out of the movie theater, that the devil could have controlled all 5 of those people.

This made sense when the young woman first got "cut" and was bleeding, and Vince (the mattress salesman) had blood on him afterwards (and I don't think even HE understood why, judging by the look on his face)

Then, just before the lights went off, he is clearly seen giving her a "devilish" stare.

Soo , in a sense, he "was" the devil.

So, did the devil alternate between each person, or was it always the old woman? Or was it all left up to the imagination of the audience?

I loved the movie as well. The beginning of the movie says the devil can take human form. Don't think it was talking about possessing several people. My take was that it was always the old woman. Great scene at the beginning with the city upside down and then after that guy in the elevator confessed his hit and run and the cop found a way to forgive him the city was right side up. Kind of a symbol that if there is a devil then there must be a God and good will triumph over evil. M Night really needed this one to try and revive his career.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Sep 22 2010, 08:52 PM)
I loved the movie as well. The beginning of the movie says the devil can take human form. Don't think it was talking about possessing several people. My take was that it was always the old woman. Great scene at the beginning with the city upside down and then after that guy in the elevator confessed his hit and run and the cop found a way to forgive him the city was right side up. Kind of a symbol that if there is a devil then there must be a God and good will triumph over evil. M Night really needed this one to try and revive his career.

That's how I felt about the ending as well. When you see the shot of the water at the end, you just know that the city image will be flipped to the "good side". Maybe I'm just a bit of a crazy freak that craves horror and "jumpy" scenes, but I was expecting something to go "raaaaawr" at the end and give one last exhilarating thrill... but I was disappointed in that department.

My only TRUE complaint about the movie was that it was a bit too short, clocking in at only about 70 minutes. I see a lot of complaints that there was too much transfer from the claustrophobic walls of the elevator to the safety and open-ness of the outside world, so the viewer never gets that sense of "closed-ness" at all times like the patrons of the elevator did. I perosnally liked this, though, because I'm pretty sure if the entire 70 minutes were devoted to building characters and gaining an emotional attachment to them, would bore me to tears. Why should we care about the characters in this movie? They're strangers to each other in the movie, so why should we as the audience learn to get to know them when they're quickly getting killed?

The closest attachment I felt to ANY of the characters was the salesman, but he was the one character I NEVER suspected as the devil.. EVER (on my first run through). To me, his purpose was to enlighten the mood early on with comedic value, before the story got deeper.

All in all, I give this movie a 9.5/10 !!

I'm also looking forward to "Buried", which should be out in a short while.

OMG...I was so looking forward to Buried as well and was going to see it Friday but I don't know if it is playing here locally. It is in limited release. I think Ryan Reynolds is becoming a great actor. Quite a few interesting horror/thriller movies on the horizon in the next month and a half.

hmm, I do know that next week it's in select theaters, but it will not be released universally until the 8th of October. Hopefully it comes out next week for you, is there any way you can verify this online somewhere?

Buried, like Devil, just has a seemingly intriguing plot that draws me in. Unlike Devil though, this WILL be a claustrophobic event. Ruan Reynolds is indeed a great actor, can't wait to see his performance in this. I'm ina need of a good thriller/horror flick... these seem to be the only movies I bother going to the theaters for nowadays.

I used to LOVE comedy movies until we started getting subjected to an overabundance of un-funny Will Ferrell flicks, culminating in "The Other Guys".

QUOTE (presto123 @ Sep 24 2010, 04:39 AM)
Are you going to go see The Town? It's getting rave reviews from everybody.

I saw the trailer for "The Town", and I gotta be honest.. I'm not overly impressed/thrilled with it. It seems like a typical action flick ( a genre I don't particularly care for).

I may go see it one night if I'm bored, but until then, I'm gonna save my money and keep a close eye on the upcoming horror/thriller movies planned for the fall/winter.

I'm already planning to go see "Case 39" next week. That one calls out my name.. ahah

QUOTE (Hemispheres89 @ Sep 28 2010, 09:55 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Sep 24 2010, 04:39 AM)
Are you going to go see The Town? It's getting rave reviews from everybody.

I saw the trailer for "The Town", and I gotta be honest.. I'm not overly impressed/thrilled with it. It seems like a typical action flick ( a genre I don't particularly care for).

I may go see it one night if I'm bored, but until then, I'm gonna save my money and keep a close eye on the upcoming horror/thriller movies planned for the fall/winter.

I'm already planning to go see "Case 39" next week. That one calls out my name.. ahah

You're wrong about "The Town." There's some action but it really plays like a drama. It's not "Machete" that's for sure.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Sep 29 2010, 11:53 AM)
You may want to skip Case 39 and go see Let Me In. 20% for Case 39 on RT versus 95% for Let Me In. I saw The Town as well and I really enjoyed it even though I'm not a big Ben Affleck fan.

hmm, really eh? I saw the preview for "Let Me In" when I went to go see Devil, and it seemed pretty scary. I was planning on seeing both Case 39 and LMi, but judging by those statistics, I may just pass on Case 39. Maybe it was a deception to my eyes in the trailer, but I thought it looked PRETTY scary. People are saying this isn't so though.

Ben Affleck has always been a terrible actor, in my opinion. He's just like a normal person in most movies, but that's the problem.. there's no acting niche of any kind that comes off as genuine with him. Part of the reason why I was turned off by The Town, but didn't admit it until now when you spoke up about Ben Affleck so I didn't feel alone. lol

We need another action movie to be taken over by the badassery of Steven Segal.

"You see this face!? This is a happy face!" YA!!!!!!

Edited by Hemispheres89

QUOTE (Hemispheres89 @ Sep 29 2010, 10:10 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Sep 29 2010, 11:53 AM)
You may want to skip Case 39 and go see Let Me In. 20% for Case 39 on RT versus 95% for Let Me In. I saw The Town as well and I really enjoyed it even though I'm not a big Ben Affleck fan.

hmm, really eh? I saw the preview for "Let Me In" when I went to go see Devil, and it seemed pretty scary. I was planning on seeing both Case 39 and LMi, but judging by those statistics, I may just pass on Case 39. Maybe it was a deception to my eyes in the trailer, but I thought it looked PRETTY scary. People are saying this isn't so though.

Ben Affleck has always been a terrible actor, in my opinion. He's just like a normal person in most movies, but that's the problem.. there's no acting niche of any kind that comes off as genuine with him. Part of the reason why I was turned off by The Town, but didn't admit it until now when you spoke up about Ben Affleck so I didn't feel alone. lol

We need another action movie to be taken over by the badassery of Steven Segal.

"You see this face!? This is a happy face!" YA!!!!!!

Is "Let Me In" a remake of that Swedish movie "Let the Right One In?"