20 Years ago today...

PhilCastro

August 27th, 1990. We lost Stevie Ray Vaughan way too early in life when a helicopter carrying him crashed shortly after take off.

I'm going to be taking this day and listening to his music. What an amazing musician he was. So much emotion in his playing. He's one of the few guitarists out there that can actually change my mood depending on his playing. It's so moving.

So, RIP Stevie. rose.gif Your legacy will live forever!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQsqRBCXiuw

show me a song with more emotion than this one!

I have to admit that I've always completely missed the boat on SRV. I've always heard him whispered about in hushed reverent tones, but didn't really come across his music.

Is this video you linked to fairly indicative of what he does? He sounds like a great guitarist, but it's pretty straightforward blues. Is that generally what he did?

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 27 2010, 12:53 PM)
I have to admit that I've always completely missed the boat on SRV. I've always heard him whispered about in hushed reverent tones, but didn't really come across his music.

Is this video you linked to fairly indicative of what he does? He sounds like a great guitarist, but it's pretty straightforward blues. Is that generally what he did?

Yeah, he's a Blues guitarist.

A big Hendrix influence too.

QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Aug 27 2010, 09:57 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 27 2010, 12:53 PM)
I have to admit that I've always completely missed the boat on SRV.  I've always heard him whispered about in hushed reverent tones, but didn't really come across his music.

Is this video you linked to fairly indicative of what he does?  He sounds like a great guitarist, but it's pretty straightforward blues.  Is that generally what he did?

Yeah, he's a Blues guitarist.

A big Hendrix influence too.

Ok, so now I understand why I always would hear about the guy but never came across his music.

I have nothing against straight blues, I just rarely listen to it...

Hearing the news of his death, to me, was one of those moments that you remember where you were and what you were doing. The sad thing was that he was just starting to get his life back together after battling a drug and alcohol addiction. I really miss him. He was truly a guitar legend.

I still have a very good recollection of that morning. sad.gif

And Goob...Listen to Voodoo Child of off "Couldn't Stand the Weather" CD and prepare to be amazed. SRV is just phenomenal!

I remember watching MTV unplugged from back during a more quaint period of time when MTV actually showed music, and SRV was on the second installment of unplugged along with Joe Satriani. Well, SRV played Pride and Joy on a 12 string acoustic Guild guitar. Damn! Gave me goosebumps, and it was then that I realized just how wicked talented that man was.

Archived