Fav Modern Prog, aside from Big 4 Bands

thelocator

QUOTE (Deathbass89 @ Aug 18 2010, 10:29 AM)
thelocator :
The only band I haven't heard from your list is Collapsar. I'll definitely check them out. Especially when you say the bassist gives Steve DiGiorgio a run for his money. I also haven't heard any music from Blotted Science but I know Ron Jarzombek's other work with Watch Tower and Spastic Ink.

sullysue:
It's great that your son loves In Flames at that young of an age. The lead guitar work in that band is genius. There is something about Sweden that produces so many great metal bands. Other great Swedish metal bands (not particularly prog though but some dip into that pool) are Arch Enemy, Soilwork, Scar Symmetry, Solution .45, Edge of Sanity, Meshuggah, and Dark Tranquility.

Tetrafusion can get pretty heavy but not to the point where a person who is not into metal couldn't tolerate it I believe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiuOzK4wJ28&feature=related
That's a song called The Beginning from them.

I've given Meshuggah a listen once or twice, and frankly, it scared the shit out of me. laugh.gif

...which means my son would probably love them.

I'll look for some Tetrafusion, since I can dig heavier stuff.

One of the main guys with In Flames just left. Was that the lead guitar player? Patrick (my son) was really upset when he read about it. What does that mean for the band?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (thelocator @ Aug 15 2010, 07:51 PM)
Americans have been so dumbied-down by reality television and small-talk at the local watering holes, that they actually prefer garbage over substance.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bf/Garbage_album.jpg

wink.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 18 2010, 12:07 PM)

I'll look for some Tetrafusion, since I can dig heavier stuff.

With a name like Tetrafusion, I can betcha that you'd be looking at a super 'technical' type of band...No 'easy listening' experiences there...Probably along the lines of that Collapsar, Blotted Science and Spiral Architect.

If you want a Death Metal band that is also highly technical, but with vocals and highly listenable, then go for the 'Obscura'...This kind of band is a direct descendant of bands like Cynic, Atheist and Death....In my book, it doesn't get any better, nor any less commercial that this stuff...I never did understand the fusion of Death Metal with Melodicism...The ideas seem too much at odds with one another...

And, if you want some all-around awesome, straight-up Swedish Prog Rock units, give me a holla for the names...Oh, snap...Didn't you mention that you loved Porc Tree?...

GO FIND THIS one particular title and your an instant winner...Another Swedish act...ANEKDOTEN...The name of the most recent title - 'A Time Of Day'...

And although they don't sound like PT ripoffs in any way, if you happen to dig the former, there's a great chance that you'll dig the latter...LOADS of Mellotron and awesome melody and ethereal guitar parts throughout...Not a heavy band in the least...Mostly mellow, like PT, but dynamic.

QUOTE (thelocator @ Aug 18 2010, 02:32 PM)
GO FIND THIS one particular title and your an instant winner...Another Swedish act...ANEKDOTEN...The name of the most recent title - 'A Time Of Day'...

And although they don't sound like PT ripoffs in any way, if you happen to dig the former, there's a great chance that you'll dig the latter...LOADS of Mellotron and awesome melody and ethereal guitar parts throughout...Not a heavy band in the least...Mostly mellow, like PT, but dynamic.

Coolness, dude. Thanks. smile.gif

I never did understand the fusion of Death Metal with Melodicism...The ideas seem too much at odds with one another...

Actually, it works better than you might expect. Give In Flames a try. They really are a good band. You'd be surprised.

QUOTE (Deathbass89 @ Aug 18 2010, 10:29 AM)
thelocator :
The only band I haven't heard from your list is Collapsar. I'll definitely check them out. Especially when you say the bassist gives Steve DiGiorgio a run for his money. I also haven't heard any music from Blotted Science but I know Ron Jarzombek's other work with Watch Tower and Spastic Ink.

sullysue:
It's great that your son loves In Flames at that young of an age. The lead guitar work in that band is genius. There is something about Sweden that produces so many great metal bands. Other great Swedish metal bands (not particularly prog though but some dip into that pool) are Arch Enemy, Soilwork, Scar Symmetry, Solution .45, Edge of Sanity, Meshuggah, and Dark Tranquility.

Tetrafusion can get pretty heavy but not to the point where a person who is not into metal couldn't tolerate it I believe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiuOzK4wJ28&feature=related
That's a song called The Beginning from them.

listening now. thanks for the link and the recommendation. sounds good,

Geez laweez....how could I forget an red hot band on the Prog scene...Frost*!

QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 18 2010, 03:59 PM)

They have been around for sometime now. Very heavy, dark sounding, Prog with beaucoup mellotron. I like these guys a lot. Nucleus and Vemod are two great releases.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Aug 18 2010, 03:29 PM)

They have been around for sometime now. Very heavy, dark sounding, Prog with beaucoup mellotron. I like these guys a lot. Nucleus and Vemod are two great releases.

I just downloaded A Time of Day and am about to listen to it. But, there's a newer title, Chapters, from 2009. If I like this one, I'll get that one, too.

I'm downloading Absolute Zero by Tetrafusion right now.

I still haven't listened to Frost, or to Mars Volta. So.... much.... music..... wacko.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 18 2010, 04:47 PM)

I just downloaded A Time of Day and am about to listen to it. But, there's a newer title, Chapters, from 2009. If I like this one, I'll get that one, too.

I'm downloading Absolute Zero by Tetrafusion right now.

I still haven't listened to Frost, or to Mars Volta. So.... much.... music..... wacko.gif

I highly recommend Milliontown by Frost*.

I gotta try and find some of the older Anekdoten stuff...Those titles you just mentioned I haven't heard in several years...And, when you say 'heavy', I hope you mean the word as a synonym for 'intense'...because this band has never been 'heavy' in a 'heavy metal' sense of the term...

Unless I've missed some specific era of the band where they were something 'other'...Mostly, they've always been a pretty mellowish act, like how PT is mostly mellow with occasionaly bursts of hard rock...But, Anekdoten, especially their more recent stuff, should appeal to fans of PT in general...I really love that 2007 release, A Time Of Day...G'wan and go git it...

HAVE HEARD MUCHO BUENO about FROST, but haven't actually heard their actual schtick yet. What kinda act they got going? They do a little singing and dancing routine?

QUOTE (thelocator @ Aug 18 2010, 04:54 PM)

I gotta try and find some of the older Anekdoten stuff...Those titles you just mentioned I haven't heard in several years...And, when you say 'heavy', I hope you mean the word as a synonym for 'intense'...because this band has never been 'heavy' in a 'heavy metal' sense of the term...

Unless I've missed some specific era of the band where they were something 'other'...Mostly, they've always been a pretty mellowish act, like how PT is mostly mellow with occasionaly bursts of hard rock...But, Anekdoten, especially their more recent stuff, should appeal to fans of PT in general...I really love that 2007 release, A Time Of Day...G'wan and go git it...

HAVE HEARD MUCHO BUENO about FROST, but haven't actually heard their actual schtick yet. What kinda act they got going? They do a little singing and dancing routine?

I got turned on to Frost* from The Dividing Line website and Prog shows. This place is the premiere web radio for Prog, IMO of course.

http://www.thedividingline.com/

You will be exposed to a ton of new Prog as well as some old standards.

Yea, Jesper left. He was the main songwriter and founder of the band. He left himself due to alcohol problems. The only thing we can hope for is that they'll take from what they learned from him and use it as best they can or hope he one day returns to the band. It's such as disappointment though. Edited by Deathbass89

QUOTE (Deathbass89 @ Aug 18 2010, 04:57 PM)
Yea, Jesper left. He was the main songwriter and founder of the band. He left himself due to alcohol problems. The only thing we can hope for is that they'll take from what they learned from him and use it as best they can or hope he one day returns to the band. It's such as disappointment though.

Well... at least he's doing something about it. That's a good thing.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 18 2010, 04:09 PM)
I'm diggin' on this Anekdoten. It's different. An interesting blend of new school and old school prog. Thanks for the hook-up, locator. smile.gif

Sullysue, Which title are you hearing?...I'm only 100% acquainted with that 2007 title...That was their biggest seller/most popular outside of Sweden...Time Of Day seems to have somewhat of a Porc Tree direction to the music now that I hear it again right now...

But, their earlier stuff is a lot different, more diverse...Can't find the older stuff around anywhere though...Been looking for a while...Probably have to go through Amazon for that.

I know that I started this thread about Modern Prog Rock and that which is mostly Unbeknownst, above all else...but, I've recently been turned on to so band which is a direct precursor to the band ASIA...and this stuff is way too good not to pass on to others interested in the genre.

It's the band, UK...I don't know how many of you guys are already familiar with them...They existed only briefly between '77 and '79, I believe...Long enough for two studio albums and one live set...The vocalist/bassist is the voice and bass behind the 80's Pop Group, ASIA.

But, with UK, you get a totally different, much more progressive primary direction...Yet, there's also large hints to what was about to come around the bend...The pieces, while being largely prog-leaning, also have melodies and harmonies which aren't too far off what Wetton would be doing a few years later in ASIA. The songs are excellent.

And, it's not like UK was all Wetton...Rock God Drummer Extraordinaire, Bill Bruford was the first percussionist...Then, Terry Bozzio from Zappa fame stepped in...The band also features Alan Holdsworth on Guitar and Eddie Jobson on Keys and Violin...Really now...No kidding...All these monster musicians were in the same band together...and I knew nothing of this Supergroup unit until just a few months back.

Their first album was good...But there's no way that a real Prog Rock fan is going to dislike their second outing - Danger Money...AMAZING...Essential...Necessary...

And, if you want to be a completist and check out the actual bridge which links this UK stuff with the band, ASIA, then you must hear John Wetton's first solo attempt from 1980...All the ideas expressed on the first few ASIA discs are already coming to a big fat head on 1980's Caught in the Crossfire...This album is totally commercial though...whereas the UK stuff certainly is not.

Deathbass, I don't know who you're referencing with 'Jespers' thing....Which band? Is that the founder of Anekdoten or some other group?...I don't know anything about the members of these Swedish outfits.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 18 2010, 06:29 PM)
QUOTE (Deathbass89 @ Aug 18 2010, 04:57 PM)
Yea, Jesper left. He was the main songwriter and founder of the band. He left himself due to alcohol problems. The only thing we can hope for is that they'll take from what they learned from him and use it as best they can or hope he one day returns to the band. It's such as disappointment though.

Well... at least he's doing something about it. That's a good thing.

Indeed. I respect that he cares that much about his band and music as to not jeopardize the integrity of the band. It's just a bummer that it had to be that way. It's kind of like if Steve Harris just quit Iron Maiden and the rest of the band still decides to keep the name. Not to dismiss the talent of Iron Maiden because all are splendid musicians but Steve Harris is the driving force, much like Jesper was.

QUOTE (thelocator @ Aug 18 2010, 06:43 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 18 2010, 04:09 PM)
I'm diggin' on this Anekdoten. It's different. An interesting blend of new school and old school prog. Thanks for the hook-up, locator.  smile.gif

Sullysue, Which title are you hearing?...I'm only 100% acquainted with that 2007 title...That was their biggest seller/most popular outside of Sweden...Time Of Day seems to have somewhat of a Porc Tree direction to the music now that I hear it again right now...

But, their earlier stuff is a lot different, more diverse...Can't find the older stuff around anywhere though...Been looking for a while...Probably have to go through Amazon for that.

I know that I started this thread about Modern Prog Rock and that which is mostly Unbeknownst, above all else...but, I've recently been turned on to so band which is a direct precursor to the band ASIA...and this stuff is way too good not to pass on to others interested in the genre.

It's the band, UK...I don't know how many of you guys are already familiar with them...They existed only briefly between '77 and '79, I believe...Long enough for two studio albums and one live set...The vocalist/bassist is the voice and bass behind the 80's Pop Group, ASIA.

But, with UK, you get a totally different, much more progressive primary direction...Yet, there's also large hints to what was about to come around the bend...The pieces, while being largely prog-leaning, also have melodies and harmonies which aren't too far off what Wetton would be doing a few years later in ASIA. The songs are excellent.

And, it's not like UK was all Wetton...Rock God Drummer Extraordinaire, Bill Bruford was the first percussionist...Then, Terry Bozzio from Zappa fame stepped in...The band also features Alan Holdsworth on Guitar and Eddie Jobson on Keys and Violin...Really now...No kidding...All these monster musicians were in the same band together...and I knew nothing of this Supergroup unit until just a few months back.

Their first album was good...But there's no way that a real Prog Rock fan is going to dislike their second outing - Danger Money...AMAZING...Essential...Necessary...

And, if you want to be a completist and check out the actual bridge which links this UK stuff with the band, ASIA, then you must hear John Wetton's first solo attempt from 1980...All the ideas expressed on the first few ASIA discs are already coming to a big fat head on 1980's Caught in the Crossfire...This album is totally commercial though...whereas the UK stuff certainly is not.

Deathbass, I don't know who you're referencing with 'Jespers' thing....Which band? Is that the founder of Anekdoten or some other group?...I don't know anything about the members of these Swedish outfits.

I got Time of Day. Me likey. yes.gif

Seriously like Tetrafusion, too. I got Absolute Zero. F'ing cool, and exactly the kind of stuff I like.

Jesper was the founding member of In Flames.

SullySue, Time o' Day is definitely a satisfying late-night sorta CHILL recording.

If you want to check on more of the 'EXTREME' music category, I have a female-led unit that should spin yer head with uncanny uniquenes and unrestrained creativity. They nice like dat.

The band's name is AGHORA...And, you're gonna soon say, 'hit me up with some more-a'...No diggity. They nice...

Their a small-time Floridian unit that evolved out of the ashes of the Death Metal Gods, CYNIC...So far, the've gone through two studio permutations.

Their first effort came out in 2000 and featured the original female vocalist, Danishta Rivero, and incredibly talented bass player, Sean Malone...

The music this unit generates is undescribable...can only be experienced, not explained...And, the vocals that the chick lays on top of this wholly original, behemoth mess is like all Middle-Eastern derived...Super Original in the presentation...You never heard anything like this.

Then, they went and tried to start it up again in 2006, but this time with a NEW female vocalist and another bassist...The second release is definitely something worth exploring, but the original 'magic' is not as evident as with the first recording...

Anyway, this is a band that you wouldn't want to let slip by without hearing at least a few times...Nothing about them reminds me of ANY OTHER band out there. They are true originals...And, the music is complex beyond measure...

QUOTE (thelocator @ Aug 19 2010, 02:06 PM)
SullySue, Time o' Day is definitely a satisfying late-night sorta CHILL recording.

If you want to check on more of the 'EXTREME' music category, I have a female-led unit that should spin yer head with uncanny uniquenes and unrestrained creativity. They nice like dat.

The band's name is AGHORA...And, you're gonna soon say, 'hit me up with some more-a'...No diggity. They nice...

Their a small-time Floridian unit that evolved out of the ashes of the Death Metal Gods, CYNIC...So far, the've gone through two studio permutations.

Their first effort came out in 2000 and featured the original female vocalist, Danishta Rivero, and incredibly talented bass player, Sean Malone...

The music this unit generates is undescribable...can only be experienced, not explained...And, the vocals that the chick lays on top of this wholly original, behemoth mess is like all Middle-Eastern derived...Super Original in the presentation...You never heard anything like this.

Then, they went and tried to start it up again in 2006, but this time with a NEW female vocalist and another bassist...The second release is definitely something worth exploring, but the original 'magic' is not as evident as with the first recording...

Anyway, this is a band that you wouldn't want to let slip by without hearing at least a few times...Nothing about them reminds me of ANY OTHER band out there. They are true originals...And, the music is complex beyond measure...

Okie dokie! smile.gif

I'll check 'em out. Thanks, man. trink39.gif

QUOTE (thelocator @ Aug 19 2010, 03:06 PM)

Reminds me quite a bit of Lacuna Coil. yes.gif

QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Aug 20 2010, 11:51 AM)
Did anyone say The Flower Kings yet!?

Roine Stolt is amazing yes.gif

Yes indeed!

If you like Jonas Reingold for TFK, you may want to check out Karmakanic. These guys are great.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Aug 20 2010, 10:57 AM)

Yes indeed!

If you like Jonas Reingold for TFK, you may want to check out Karmakanic. These guys are great.

Karmakanic is a really clever name.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 20 2010, 11:56 AM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Aug 20 2010, 10:57 AM)

Yes indeed!

Karmakanic is a really clever name.

I fell asleep the other night with the Karmakanic disc feeding through a pair of headphones....But, since I noded off, obviously no opinion to share on the contents...My subconscious mind could probably tell ya all about it though...might even share with you about the homicidal tendencies its been repressing for the last dozen or so years...I kid.