Fav Modern Prog, aside from Big 4 Bands

thelocator

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (thelocator @ Aug 13 2010, 09:28 PM)
What I consider to be the BIG FOUR monsters in the modern Progressive Rock realm are the four groups which seem to have conquered hugescale, worldwide success, artistically and sales-wise...Those four units would be Dream Theater, Spock's Beard, Opeth and Porcupine Tree...They seem to be the biggest bands available when considering the term, 'Prog Rock'.

You are wrong. Only DT has come close to achieving that level of popularity. Particularly here in the states. Those groups may experience more popularity in europe but they are far from "hugescale, worldwide success, artistically and sales-wise.."

In regards to your comment above about Mastodon and BTBAM being total givens, why the f**k did you not list them then? tongue.gif

Edited by tangy

Anathema's Hindsight album is enjoyable.

I have yet to sit down and listen to Transatlantic and Spock's Beard. However, I've listened to "?" by Neil Morse and was impressed. "Solid as the Sun" has some outstanding guitar riffs on it.

Of particular note is Yellow Matter Custard the Beatles Super-Prog-Tribute-Band featuring Morse, Mike Portnoy, Matt Bisonnette and Paul Gilbert.

While My Guitar Gently Weeps smokes!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2...56522504472418#

Edited by Maples Oaks and Porcupine Trees

QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 13 2010, 08:26 PM)
Between The Buried and me.

another favorite of mine who have been around for years but still play is
Ozric Tentacles. try this for starters: pixel dream

A disc that continues to blow me away is Animals As Leaders. If you are into instrumental guitar check them out. Tosin may be the next Steve Vai IMO.

Mastodon.

Tangy,

Thanks for the heads up on Ozric Tentacles! Great stuff!

trink39.gif

(Note: I can't believe how many prog bands there are out there!)

Oz Tents' Tight Spin has a nice flow. It reminds me of of a cross between Tangerine Dream's Risky Business and Liquid Tension Experiment's Osmosis.

(Or at least the first 1/2 does. Then it kicks into a funky electronica groove that is total fun!)

And the flamenco guitar around 7:00 has a nice jazz fusion/Al DiMeola feel. This song has so many layers. Incredible!

Edited by Maples Oaks and Porcupine Trees

QUOTE (Maples Oaks and Porcupine Trees @ Aug 15 2010, 05:55 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 13 2010, 08:26 PM)
Between The Buried and me. 

another favorite of mine who have been around for years but still play is
Ozric Tentacles.  try this for starters: pixel dream

A disc that continues to blow me away is Animals As Leaders. If you are into instrumental guitar check them out. Tosin may be the next Steve Vai IMO.

Mastodon.

Tangy,

Thanks for the heads up on Ozric Tentacles! Great stuff!

trink39.gif

(Note: I can't believe how many prog bands there are out there!)

Glad you like them. One of my all time favorite groups. If you like the earlier PT, check out the earlier ozrics like erpland or pungent effulgent.

There have been 3 major line ups with the ozrics, the older material is not as techno although its still there as well as incorporating reggae and indian music. the second line up was more techno. the latest line-up is still great but the band has become less of a group effort and more of an Ed Wynne Project. Ed is the guitarist/keys leader of the group.

My first Ozric show was one of the most overwhelming musical experiences ever. I knew a few songs but had no idea what I was in for.

i saw them last fall for fourth time. hopefully they do some more US shows soon.

heres the current tour

11/09/10 - Inowroclaw, Poland - Ino-Rock Festival - www.inorock.pl

14/10/10 - Bristol, England - Fleece & Firkin - www.seetickets.com

15/10/10 - Wolverhampton, England - Birmingham Institute - www.seetickets.com

17/10/10 - Dublin, Ireland - Button Factory - www.tickets.ie

18/10/10 - Belfast, Ireland - Spring & Airbrake - www.wegottickets.com & Katy Daly's bar

19/10/10 - Glasgow, Scotland - 02 ABC - www.ticketweb.co.uk

20/10/10 - Leeds, England - Cockpit - www.lunatickets.co.uk

21/10/10 - Manchester, England - Band On The Wall - www.bandonthewall.org

22/10/10 - Kendal, England - Brewery Arts Centre - www.breweryarts.co.uk

24/10/10 - Poole, England - Mr Kyps - www.mrkyps.net

25/10/10 - Liverpool, England - 02 Academy - www.ticketweb.co.uk

27/10/10 - Margate, England - West Coast Live - www.westcoastlive.co.uk

28/10/10 - London, England - 02 Academy Islington - www.ticketweb.co.uk

30/10/10 - Haarlem, Netherlands - Club Patronaat - www.patronaat.nl

31/10/10 - Uden, Netherlands - Club De Pul - www.ticketmaster.nl

Keep Watching For More European Dates . . .

http://www.ozrics.com/

QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 15 2010, 09:53 AM)
Every Spocks Beard disc with Neal is amazing IMO.

I actually think that they've greatly improved since his departure...Just as I believe that NEAL himself has greatly improved as an artist since making his break with the band...'Everybody wins' is my opinion on the break-up...I think that SB's 'SNOW' was one of the worst Prog-Rock titles in history, and that was the last effort while he was still a part of SB.

As for the matter of bigtime success, I'm probably talking about 'outside the U.S'...We all have to accept that the majority of Americans are very small-minded when it comes to the idea of 'music as art'....Americans have been so dumbied-down by reality television and small-talk at the local watering holes, that they actually prefer garbage over substance.

After all the success of Prog Rock on the worldwide scale during the last decade, I've only recently began to see the last couple of PT and Opeth releases offered in my local CD stores and libraries...when they shoulda been popular here for much longer...But all these groups are much, much BIGGER in Europe, South America and the Far East than they are here....Dream Theater and SB are huge in these other regions as well.

It's only the U.S....and maybe Africa that is retarded when it comes to embracing musical complexity...

QUOTE (Maples Oaks and Porcupine Trees @ Aug 15 2010, 07:08 PM)
Tangy,

Has Oz Tents released any live DVDs?

Yeah, the one i have is called the pongmasters ball. they also released one last summer from Sommerset??? and old one at the fridge?? the ozrics.com link above has a discography section to check out.

the pixel dream video was from the pongmasters ball.

QUOTE (thelocator @ Aug 15 2010, 06:51 PM)

I actually think that they've greatly improved since his departure...Just as I believe that NEAL himself has greatly improved as an artist since making his break with the band...'Everybody wins' is my opinion on the break-up...I think that SB's 'SNOW' was one of the worst Prog-Rock titles in history, and that was the last effort while he was still a part of SB.

As for the matter of bigtime success, I'm probably talking about 'outside the U.S'...We all have to accept that the majority of Americans are very small-minded when it comes to the idea of 'music as art'....Americans have been so dumbied-down by reality television and small-talk at the local watering holes, that they actually prefer garbage over substance.

After all the success of Prog Rock on the worldwide scale during the last decade, I've only recently began to see the last couple of PT and Opeth releases offered in my local CD stores and libraries...when they shoulda been popular here for much longer...But all these groups are much, much BIGGER in Europe, South America and the Far East than they are here....Dream Theater and SB are huge in these other regions as well.

It's only the U.S....and maybe Africa that is retarded when it comes to embracing musical complexity...

Wow! I though I was the only one who felt that way about Morse's departure from the Beard. I agree totally with that, but disagree wholeheartedly about Snow. Just my opinoin, but I think it's great, and the only SB I enjoy with Morse on vocals.

Give Riverside a listen. They're a Polish band that have taken the prog metal vibe and run with it. Excellent stuff.

And, I'll second Tangy's suggestion of Ozric Tentacles. The Tangster turned me on to them, and The Hidden Step is in my regular music rotation now. I like that they're all instrumental. Unless you include the sheep. laugh.gif

Snow should of been a single disc. Parts are brilliant other parts lame. all the others from the neal era are amazing. neal may be my favorite vocalist.

I hear the new SB is the best post-neal but i have yet to buy it. I have a few neal discs but don't like neal of SB as much as I used too. I think they would of been well served ditching the name spocks beard after Neal left as its a clumsy/nerdy name that turns people off before they hear the music.

From what I have seen they are less popular after neal left, so much so that tours do not seem to be financially feasible for them here in the states. the last tour had very sparse attendance from i have read and its shame as they are all amazing players. i think they have a tour lined up for europe in the near future.

Neal left shortly after I was getting into them. I saw them once on the V opening for DT. Portnoy came out in kiss mask ( think is was gene simmons) and played June with the beard. It was killer.

Here in the states ( outside of a few cities like NYC and san fran ) PT, opeth, btbam and mastodon all typically play in around 1,000 person venues from what i can see.

I an seeing pt next week in a 2400 person venue as a co-headliner but last time they rolled through town is was a 1000 person venue they played at.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 15 2010, 07:31 PM)

Wow! I though I was the only one who felt that way about Morse's departure from the Beard. I agree totally with that, but disagree wholeheartedly about Snow. Just my opinoin, but I think it's great, and the only SB I enjoy with Morse on vocals.

Give Riverside a listen. They're a Polish band that have taken the prog metal vibe and run with it. Excellent stuff.

And, I'll second Tangy's suggestion of Ozric Tentacles. The Tangster turned me on to them, and The Hidden Step is in my regular music rotation now. I like that they're all instrumental. Unless you include the sheep. laugh.gif

tongue.gif Glad you are liking it !

there is one or two old songs with a few vocals. more sheep and birds than humans.

from waterfall cities- Coily

from become the other- Neurochasm

if you only listen to one make it neurochasm.

or maybe it should be...

title track-

QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 15 2010, 08:31 PM)

Riverside has potential to become huge. I really dig these guys.

I think that the Pineapple Thief might be theiving directly from the Porcupine Tree...From what I heard so far, it sounded like a rip-off on several different levels...Riverside kinda gave me that same general vibe too...Shows how far-reaching Porc Tree's influence is now in the Prog World. Other bands can't help but to pick up a thing or three from the masters.

QUOTE (Deathbass89 @ Aug 17 2010, 10:58 AM)
Tetrafusion. Instrumental prog metal.

With your nametag here, I'm wondering if you already know about the following recent titles:

Collapsar - Integers

Obscura - Cosmogenesis

Blotted Science - The Machinations of Dementia

If you don't already know about these, then I just did you a HUGE favor, friend...If even one of these collections has flown under your own personal radar, then you'll still owe me a thanks...These are THE most complex, death-leaning Prog-Metal works since 2000 and the release of:

Spiral Architect - A Sceptic's Universe

The bass playing on all these titles, especially this last one here, is on the highest conceivable level...These are the kinda albums that would make Steve DiGiorgio wanna go back to class for a refresher.

Holy Crap! Can not believe how many awesome, modern Prog bands come out of Sweden...Many, many...Each time that I hear of some new outfit, I now just expect to be told that they too hail from that region...Checking out one right now...And, have you seen the chicks from up there, man? Holy smokes!

I saw somewhere Deathbass mention In Flames, which is from Sweden. Not prog, but melodic death metal. But, my 13-year-old, guitar-playin' son LOVES them.

At any rate, it does seem that the Swedes are putting out some great music right now.

I've heard of Tetrafusion, but I've never investigated. How heavy is their stuff?

QUOTE (thelocator @ Aug 17 2010, 11:54 AM)
I think that the Pineapple Thief might be theiving directly from the Porcupine Tree...From what I heard so far, it sounded like a rip-off on several different levels...Riverside kinda gave me that same general vibe too...Shows how far-reaching Porc Tree's influence is now in the Prog World. Other bands can't help but to pick up a thing or three from the masters.

I don't hear PorcTree in Riverside. confused13.gif

thelocator :

The only band I haven't heard from your list is Collapsar. I'll definitely check them out. Especially when you say the bassist gives Steve DiGiorgio a run for his money. I also haven't heard any music from Blotted Science but I know Ron Jarzombek's other work with Watch Tower and Spastic Ink.

sullysue:

It's great that your son loves In Flames at that young of an age. The lead guitar work in that band is genius. There is something about Sweden that produces so many great metal bands. Other great Swedish metal bands (not particularly prog though but some dip into that pool) are Arch Enemy, Soilwork, Scar Symmetry, Solution .45, Edge of Sanity, Meshuggah, and Dark Tranquility.

Tetrafusion can get pretty heavy but not to the point where a person who is not into metal couldn't tolerate it I believe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiuOzK4wJ28&feature=related

That's a song called The Beginning from them.

Two of my favouite bands are from Sweden...Opeth and Candlemass...

Sweden has the market cornered on a few different types of music.

You can find very melodic, straight up Prog Rock....which is no heavier than some regular, yet very aggressive old-school Rock music, but with a modern edge.

Plenty of Power Metal, bands like Hammerfall

Then, there's the Death Metal scene, like with In Flames....Even though Opeth has Death Metal as a part of what they are, I can not classify them as a Death band since their musical reach is so darn diverse and progressive.

But, what I'm really digging at the moment, is all Doom Metal stuff out of Sweden...I forget most of the names...Obviously, Candlemass is the biggest name worldwide in this genre...

Ok, these guys are also all Swedish: Grand Magus, Count Raven, Witchcraft, Memory Garden, etc....With Witchcraft being the closest thing to a 'mass-appeal' band as something like Wolfmother...WC should have been much BIGGER in the states.

AND, if you're looking for Black Metal, you just go right next door to Sweden...Norway is known for that whole scene...Although, their Prog Rock scene is also hot.