StarCraft II

Sussossus

I'm actually surprised I haven't seen a thread about this one.

So I'm considering getting it...the custom maps should make it worth it. I'm sure I'll suck at multiplayer, but the game just looks so great! If anyone plays, post about it, help me make up my mind.

Discuss!

So I decided to get it. It's really good, I played a little bit of the campaign, and while I'm sure it gets better, it's kind of boring in the beginning. Just like any RTS I suppose. I wanted to do it to learn the basics since it's been so long since I played WarCraft III. I think going straight into multiplayer is better though, lol. I played a match today, and it was pretty cool. Very enjoyable.

Its been 6 or 7 years since I played WC3 and even longer since I last play SC. I love Blizzard for their outstanding RTS's but since they decided to make us pay three times for SC2 and also eliminated LAN support I think I am going to pass. Most of my friends aren't buying it for these reasons as well so I would have no allies to play with. Multiplayer sucks if you don't have friends playing.

i was OBSESSED with the original SC. I really really would love to try out the second one but i just dont think it would be worth to spend money to upgrade my comp for it. maybe in a few years? -_-

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Jul 28 2010, 03:35 PM)
Its been 6 or 7 years since I played WC3 and even longer since I last play SC. I love Blizzard for their outstanding RTS's but since they decided to make us pay three times for SC2 and also eliminated LAN support I think I am going to pass. Most of my friends aren't buying it for these reasons as well so I would have no allies to play with. Multiplayer sucks if you don't have friends playing.

I still play WarCraft III, original Diablo and StarCraft. I boycotted Diablo2 because of how they kept pushing it back and changing things.

What are you referring to by "paying three times" for SC2? Also, they don't allow local LAN play? WTF?

QUOTE (ForceTen @ Jul 29 2010, 11:26 AM)
Its been 6 or 7 years since I played WC3 and even longer since I last play SC.  I love Blizzard for their outstanding RTS's but since they decided to make us pay three times for SC2 and also eliminated LAN support I think I am going to pass.  Most of my friends aren't buying it for these reasons as well so I would have no allies to play with.  Multiplayer sucks if you don't have friends playing.

I still play WarCraft III, original Diablo and StarCraft. I boycotted Diablo2 because of how they kept pushing it back and changing things.

What are you referring to by "paying three times" for SC2? Also, they don't allow local LAN play? WTF?

This release only has the Terran campaign. They are releasing the Zerg campaign next and the Protoss one last. So you get to pay 60 dollars three times to get all three campaigns unlike the original which had all three campaigns in one release.

And there is no LAN support. Battlenet only.

QUOTE (ForceTen @ Jul 29 2010, 11:26 AM)
Its been 6 or 7 years since I played WC3 and even longer since I last play SC.  I love Blizzard for their outstanding RTS's but since they decided to make us pay three times for SC2 and also eliminated LAN support I think I am going to pass.  Most of my friends aren't buying it for these reasons as well so I would have no allies to play with.  Multiplayer sucks if you don't have friends playing.

I still play D2. Its still a great game and I am looking forward to D3. I hope they don't f*ck it up between now and release.

I love RTS games but my skills have degraded in my old age. Unless I am playing with friends I get my ass kicked to bad to enjoy them.

What a crock... $60 for all three campaigns? Screw that. i'll stick with the original just like I did with diablo. Also, WTF is it with no LAN play? What a crock of chit... I've lost all respect for Blizzard now.

I hear ya with RTS games though. I'm "okay" but not great against others.

Currently, I'm attemtping to work my way through Total War: Medieval II and it's not pretty against the computer for me. :\

I should fire up C&C: the first ten years, WC3 or SC and enjoy.

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jul 29 2010, 03:19 PM)
While I really liked SC I think Im gonna pass on SC 2 just because I don't wanna get hooked on it like WOW... that was an expensive habit.

facepalm.gif

I had my primary EQ account for over 8 years and had all expansions up until I quit playing. Add to it, accounts for the wife and kid... Now, that's expensive. wink.gif

After reading about things such as no LAN play, $20 campaign releases, etc., I think I'm going to boycott SC2 just like I did Diablo2.

QUOTE (ForceTen @ Jul 29 2010, 02:46 PM)
What a crock... $60 for all three campaigns? Screw that. i'll stick with the original just like I did with diablo. Also, WTF is it with no LAN play? What a crock of chit... I've lost all respect for Blizzard now.

I hear ya with RTS games though. I'm "okay" but not great against others.

Currently, I'm attemtping to work my way through Total War: Medieval II and it's not pretty against the computer for me. :\

I should fire up C&C: the first ten years, WC3 or SC and enjoy.

Actually the releases are $60 a piece so the total cost to own the whole game is $180.

Don't be so down on Diablo 2. Its a great game and is still a lot of fun.

One thing I never have held against Blizzard is their screwy release schedule. I never believe what they say until I see the boxes in the store but the games always deliver so I always let that shit slide. The price gouging on SC2 is what really has me steering clear. That's not a normal tactic for Blizzard and is one I hope they don't adopt across the board because they really are some of the best game developers around.

maybe after they are all released the price will come down an bit and I will get it then.

I've watched my son and nephew play Diablo 2 and I wasn't impressed. Was D1 with just a little more characters and actions from what I could tell.

$180 for all three? Eff that! Time to write a letter of protest to Blizzard.

Who said the expansions were going to be $60 each? They're still calling them expansions, right? They should be $30-40, not 60. And seriously, there's no subscription fee, so it could easily be worse.

QUOTE (Sussossus @ Jul 29 2010, 10:34 PM)
Who said the expansions were going to be $60 each? They're still calling them expansions, right? They should be $30-40, not 60. And seriously, there's no subscription fee, so it could easily be worse.

Then buy it.

I know past expansions for other blizzard games cost the same as the game did on release. Even at $40 that's $140 for one game. If you are cool with that more power to you. Its a price gouge and I won't pay on pure principal.

Edited by thesweetscience

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Jul 29 2010, 08:51 PM)
QUOTE (Sussossus @ Jul 29 2010, 10:34 PM)

Then buy it.

I know past expansions for other blizzard games cost the same as the game did on release. Even at $40 that's $140 for one game. If you are cool with that more power to you. Its a price gouge and I won't pay on pure principal.

Well I already did buy it. tongue.gif

Anyway, I guess I just don't see it as being any different than buying one game for $60, then buying its sequels for $60, even when you know from the beginning it will be a trilogy.

I suppose if the SC2 Terran campaign was only 8 or 10 episodes, like the original, that could be considered a rip-off.

But it is 24 campaigns total, which makes it a full game in itself. So it is like you are purchasing three whole games.

So far, so good. A co-worker gave me one of the trial cards and, after a failed attempt to download the game (7GB big takes about 3 days with a value cable internet connection), loaned the game disk. I played through the Mar Sara campaigns, which are ok. The concepts of bonus objectives and the bonuses provided are cool. Not sure if there is any use for the achievements yet. So I decided to pick up my own copy last night.

QUOTE (Brizel @ Jul 28 2010, 09:16 PM)
i was OBSESSED with the original SC. I really really would love to try out the second one but i just dont think it would be worth to spend money to upgrade my comp for it. maybe in a few years? -_-

Yeah, I was a SC junkie. The new one is great. As far as upgrading your comp, my 8 year old Dell runs it on medium settings just great. My son gets that one, I play it on my benchmark crusher. biggrin.gif

Unlike most pc game designers, Blizzard seemed to go out of their way to make this game accessible to the average computer owner. Very smart. They will have a million people playing it 24 hours a day for the next 10 years.