They Came From Ealing

Slaine mac Roth

I was lucky enough to pick up a real bargain the other day - The Best of Ealing Studios Collection which features:

Kind hearts and Coronets 1949

Passport to Pimlico 1949

The Lavender Hill Mob 1951

The Man in the White Suit 1951

The Ladykillers 1955

for any of you who have never heard of it, Ealing Studios is the oldest continuously working film studio in the world. In the 1940s and 50s, it became famous for a series of comedy films, of which the above 5 are among the best.

What may be of interest to some people is the fact 4 of the above films feature a pre-Obi Wan Kenobi alec Guinness who displays a real flair for comedy - especially in Kind Hearts and Coronets where he plays eight different characters.

Although dated and, dare I say, quaint to modern eyes, they're still worth a watch if you've never seen them and will raise more than the odd chuckle

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jul 3 2010, 10:16 AM)
I was lucky enough to pick up a real bargain the other day - The Best of Ealing Studios Collection which features:

Kind hearts and Coronets 1949
Passport to Pimlico 1949
The Lavender Hill Mob 1951
The Man in the White Suit 1951
The Ladykillers 1955

for any of you who have never heard of it, Ealing Studios is the oldest continuously working film studio in the world. In the 1940s and 50s, it became famous for a series of comedy films, of which the above 5 are among the best.

What may be of interest to some people is the fact 4 of the above films feature a pre-Obi Wan Kenobi alec Guinness who displays a real flair for comedy - especially in Kind Hearts and Coronets where he plays eight different characters.

Although dated and, dare I say, quaint to modern eyes, they're still worth a watch if you've never seen them and will raise more than the odd chuckle

I have that boxset myself, they really are classic movies, Alec Guinness was great. I love how in Kind Hearts and Coronets Alec plays 8 different characters! I watched The Ladykillers the other day again too, brilliant!

The 4 Artcards that come with the boxset are a nice touch also.

did ealing also make the st trinians movies?

the ladykillers and the lavender hill mob are brilliant films.not seen the others

No, the original St Trinians films were made by British Lion. There's a chance they were made at Ealing Studios but not by

Ealing Studios (if you see what I mean?)

Another couple of good Ealing Films I've got, not comedies this time, are

Went the Day Well? (1942) - The Eagle Has Landed seems to take many ideas from this film

Dead of Night (1945) - featuring one of the first instances of the murdering ventriloquists dummy.

Both of these are worth checking out.