Lauren Bacall rips today's crop of actors

anagramking

Is Bacall correct?

From BBC News:

Bacall derides today's actresses

Bacall starred in more than 50 films

Veteran actress Lauren Bacall has once again hit out at her fellow stars, this time branding them of "minuscule talent", and for looking too skinny.

She told Radio Times magazine that actresses "only think of stardom" and sacrifice everything for fame.

Bacall said her second marriage to actor Humphrey Bogart effectively stunted her career.

"I put my career in second place throughout both my marriages and it suffered," she said.

She added: "I don't regret it. You make choices. If you want a good marriage, you must pay attention to that.

"If you want to be independent, go ahead. You can't have it all.

"Today, women with minuscule talent are willing to sacrifice everything for their careers."

Actors today go into TV, which I don't consider has a lot to do with acting

Lauren Bacall

Bacall, 80, caused controversy in 2004 when she was quoted as saying her Birth co-star Nicole Kidman was not worthy of the tag "legend".

But she denies it was meant as an insult to her acting abilities.

"I said I didn't understand why she had to be labelled when she has her whole career in front of her," Bacall said.

Bacall said today's crop of stars lacked talent.

"Actors today go into TV, which I don't consider has a lot to do with acting.

Lauren Bacall said Nicole Kidman was a "beginner", not a legend

"They only think of stardom. If you photograph well, that's enough.

"I have a terrible time distinguishing one from another. Girls wear their hair the same, and are much too anorexic-looking."

She added: "We live in an age of mediocrity. Stars today are not the same stature as Bogie (Humphrey Bogart), Jimmy Cagney, Spencer Tracy, Henry Fonda and Jimmy Stewart."

Bacall saved barbed praise for Hugh Grant, calling him "charming, marvellous. Not a great actor but he doesn't have to be."

QUOTE (neilpeart_gal @ Apr 4 2005, 10:19 AM)
I sort of see her point, but at the same time, I can't think of anything I've seen her in where she just blew me away.

I enjoyed How to Marry a Millionaire.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Apr 4 2005, 10:17 AM)
"I have a terrible time distinguishing one from another. Girls wear their hair the same, and are much too anorexic-looking."

I definitely agree with her on this point. I remember several years ago when Kate Winslet was derided as being too fat. That just blew me away as I thought, and still do, that she's got a knockout bod. The same thing has been said of Alicia Silverstone, Sandra Bullock, and if I remember correctly it's why Debra Winger quit the business altogether. Some director gave her diet pills and told her to lose a few. She said, that's it, I'm done.

These girls are not overweight by any stretch. Women look better with curves. Hell, they look great to me. I just saw Sandra Bullock in some magazine spread and she was saying that she's just a big girl. Yowsa, then I like 'em big! She looked awesome!

You know, just to expound on the body image thing, Gillian Anderson was surprised she got the part in the X-Files because she was sure they were looking for someone "leggier and breastier" (her words). Frankly, I'm a much happier man today because she was chosen. I think she's totally hot. I just don't understand what passes for "beautiful" in Hollywood these days. For example, Pam Anderson is supposedly lusted after by many and I just don't get it. She looks so completely like a drag queen. I had a nice non-nude photo of her when she was 19 and before all that nutso body work. She was an exceptionally beautiful young woman; an absolute knockout. Now look at her. Gross!

Audrey Hepburn, Grace Kelly, Greta Garbo - now that's what I'm talkin' about! These women were all great actresses and oh so naturally beautiful. There seem to be a few today carrying that same torch, like Cate Blanchett and Kate Winslet. They're both fine actresses and don't go that artificial route. I suspect they never will and we will all be the happier for it. They will age more gracefully than the put-up jobs.

Another one of my all-time faves is Dawn Wells (Mary Ann on Gilligan's Island). I saw a pic of hers a cople of years back and she was like between 50 or 60 or something. I know she's old enough to be my mother, but she still looked absolutely delicious! Oh, and all natural, too.

OK, I'm off my podium for now.

QUOTE (neilpeart_gal @ Apr 4 2005, 12:11 PM)
I agree that the body image for women in Hollywood is out of control. If Sandra Bullock is a 'big girl', then I am as big as a house. laugh.gif

I've seen your pic NPG and you look mighty fine! I don't think Chas will mind me saying so either. You're a pretty girl and he's a lucky guy. You make a nice couple.

QUOTE (war2112 @ Apr 5 2005, 03:03 AM)
I agree that the body image for women in Hollywood is out of control.  If Sandra Bullock is a 'big girl', then I am as big as a house.  laugh.gif

I've seen your pic NPG and you look mighty fine! I don't think Chas will mind me saying so either. You're a pretty girl and he's a lucky guy. You make a nice couple.

Awww thanks war, how sweet!! blush4.gif

QUOTE (war2112 @ Apr 5 2005, 08:03 AM)
I agree that the body image for women in Hollywood is out of control.  If Sandra Bullock is a 'big girl', then I am as big as a house.  laugh.gif

I don't mind at all biggrin.gif

In fact it's a kind of ego boost.

"She's mine....all mine!!!" laugh.gif

wub.gif