Xannydew's bass dilemma

Xanadu93

I don't really post in this forum that often, but something happened to my bass today, so I figured I should come here to ask for some opinions.

Earlier today, I was playing my bass (Squier Precision), and I was going a little crazy, and quickly took it off and set it against my bed, with the strings facing the bed. Instead of having it sit up the way I wanted, it slipped in my hand, and the cable hit the ground instead of the bottom of the bass. I tried to play something (tried switching the ends of the cables, tried a different cable) and nothing happened. So I tried looking at the electronics, and got enough screws off of the pickguard to look inside, and sure enough, the cable jack had a wire that had been severed.

This is my first (and only) bass guitar, and I never really cared about it until about three years ago. It was already old when I got it, and I've had it stolen from me. The pickups are rusted (still work, but not great), the E-tuning head is a little loose, and it needs a new bridge. So basically - it's totally messed up. laugh.gif

My parents aren't necessarily rich (we definitely don't have the money to pay for a new bass right now, or to fix this one), and while I have enough to buy a new bass, I'd be broke, which I'd rather avoid. I have a few ideas on what to do:

1) I want to buy a new bass (I've been looking at two on Musicians' Friend: a Squier Classic '60s Vibe Jazz Bass and a Squier Precision Special) so I'll be able to play plugged-in, then save to fix my old Squier.

2) I want to get my bass fixed now, and then save for one of those basses.

There are pros and cons for each. I'm not as experienced as y'all are, but I guessed that it would be cheaper for me to get a new bass than to fix the one I have. Plus, with a new bass, I could take my old one to the shop and get it fixed, and if it ended up taking a long time, I would still have a bass to play.

Which option do you think I should go with?

Thanks in advance,

Xannydew

Get it fixed. It won't run that much money unless the shop you take it to is totally unscrupulous.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Apr 6 2010, 01:41 PM)
I don't really post in this forum that often, but something happened to my bass today, so I figured I should come here to ask for some opinions.

Earlier today, I was playing my bass (Squier Precision), and I was going a little crazy, and quickly took it off and set it against my bed, with the strings facing the bed. Instead of having it sit up the way I wanted, it slipped in my hand, and the cable hit the ground instead of the bottom of the bass. I tried to play something (tried switching the ends of the cables, tried a different cable) and nothing happened. So I tried looking at the electronics, and got enough screws off of the pickguard to look inside, and sure enough, the cable jack had a wire that had been severed.

This is my first (and only) bass guitar, and I never really cared about it until about three years ago. It was already old when I got it, and I've had it stolen from me. The pickups are rusted (still work, but not great), the E-tuning head is a little loose, and it needs a new bridge. So basically - it's totally messed up. laugh.gif

My parents aren't necessarily rich (we definitely don't have the money to pay for a new bass right now, or to fix this one), and while I have enough to buy a new bass, I'd be broke, which I'd rather avoid. I have a few ideas on what to do:

1) I want to buy a new bass (I've been looking at two on Musicians' Friend: a Squier Classic '60s Vibe Jazz Bass and a Squier Precision Special) so I'll be able to play plugged-in, then save to fix my old Squier.

2) I want to get my bass fixed now, and then save for one of those basses.

There are pros and cons for each. I'm not as experienced as y'all are, but I guessed that it would be cheaper for me to get a new bass than to fix the one I have. Plus, with a new bass, I could take my old one to the shop and get it fixed, and if it ended up taking a long time, I would still have a bass to play.

Which option do you think I should go with?

Thanks in advance,
Xannydew

Why not try setting up a paypal thingie and ask people to contribute toward either the cost of a new bass or getting this one repaired? You can put me down for $20.

Edit: I'm serious, btw.

Edited by JARG

I know Ive done quite a few things that ruined my reputation on here. But I do support newbies to stringed instruments, especially bass (cause thats pretty much all Ive played for the past 7 years). But Im with ^him^ and Ill put down $20 as well just so you can find a new bass. If I could reacquire my precision bass from my friend I would send it to you free of charge. Good Luck!

Thanks for the input, guys. I've never used PayPal so I'd have to research that some more. Even if you two are the only two to send money, $40 would probably at least cover the warranty - it would definitely help out, that's for sure.

Crockett, are you for real about if you got your P-bass back, you'd send it for free? Not saying I don't believe you, or that I don't want it, because I'd love to get a free bass (that's actually how much my current bass cost me!)... I dunno, maybe it's just because I've only owned one bass my entire life, and I know they aren't cheap. laugh.gif

Even if the wire is easy to fix (there's also a broken wire on my tone knob, now that I remember), I need new pickups, new tuning keys, and a new bridge. I may go ahead and spring for all-new electronics too, because they're probably somewhat messed up too. Compared to the two basses I'm interested in (one is about $280, the other about $350), would getting my bass completely redone cost more or less than getting one of these basses (labor included)?

I'm out of town, so if there are any questions about something on the bass, I'll have to wait until late Saturday night/Sunday to give updates on it.

Thanks again, everyone.

QUOTE (_pete_ @ Apr 7 2010, 11:39 PM)
If you lived near me I'd fix it for nothing.
Soldering a couple wires is a 5 minute job.

Totally. You would be surprised on how a little effort would make that old beast stand tall. I go though that with my 1978 Ric 4001 I've had almost since birth....

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Apr 7 2010, 08:06 PM)
Thanks for the input, guys. I've never used PayPal so I'd have to research that some more. Even if you two are the only two to send money, $40 would probably at least cover the warranty - it would definitely help out, that's for sure.

If you decide to go the PayPal route, run the idea by your folks first. Sometimes parents have opinions about stuff like that. wink.gif