the Weather Channel

circumstantial tree

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Feb 9 2010, 01:29 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Feb 9 2010, 10:27 AM)
I've been a fan of the Weather Channel since the 1980's. I've been a weather buff since I was little.

I have to say though that in recent years, it has less appeal, even though I still like it albeit not as much. I blame it on the recent merger/buyout (whatever) with NBC and the attempt at trying to make TWC more cool and hip. I hope that it doesn't go the way that many other cable channels go such as MTV, Court TV, and countless others.

What do you like and not like about it? Any meteorologists that you like or dislike?

I like Jim Cantore. He's been with the station for a very long time and I remember when he had hair. I also like Adam Berg, Mike Bettes, and Kelly Cass.

I cannot stand Stephanie Abrams. She is irritating!!!!!

Oh, and I haven't seen Heidi Cullen in a while, so all I can say is good riddance to her.

I think you hit the nail on the head for me. I also find the NBC merger disturbing.

Abrams needs to go away. I flip from the channel when she's on.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/capitalwe...nmental_un.html

Heidi Cullen news....and images

http://away.com/images/outside/200803/heidi-cullen.jpg

aww lost in a corn maze?

and Heather Tesch...always like to see what she's wearing er uh what the weather's gonna be like!

http://image-photo.weather.com/75/A5/full/75A5893C-B82A-4010-8E62-8604A198733A.jpg

The Weather Channel is definitely NOT the resource I look to for local forecasts. They don't have the resources available to give everyone watching a forecast with pinpoint accuracy. They generalize their forecasts, and provide entertainment.

I look at the National Weather Service website - National Weather Service

If you scroll down the local forecast page, there is a link to the "Weather Discussion" that gives you the forecaster's reasoning behind the forecast.

There are also many blogs out there run by weather geeks that have waaaaay too much time on their hands. laugh.gif You can find them if you look.

QUOTE (Natch @ Feb 17 2010, 05:01 PM)
The Weather Channel is definitely NOT the resource I look to for local forecasts. They don't have the resources available to give everyone watching a forecast with pinpoint accuracy. They generalize their forecasts, and provide entertainment.

Yeah, but I just go there for the chicks talk about weather. SEXY! wink.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Feb 17 2010, 06:05 PM)

I am BeOhBe Bob and I approve this post!^^^^^

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Feb 9 2010, 03:03 PM)

It will be a very sad day when the Weather Channel becomes to weather what MTV became to music.  sad.gif

storm stories? weather proof? cantore stories? holy crap I see a trend

when "reality tv" changed the weather channel

QUOTE (BeOhBe Bob @ Feb 17 2010, 08:24 PM)
QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Feb 17 2010, 06:05 PM)

I am BeOhBe Bob and I approve this post!^^^^^

And THIS is why truly GOOD Meteorologists can't get good work these days. But, I hear ya. Whatever toots your horn! wink.gif

Now if you have good looks AND you know what you're talking about and you have the talent to deliver it, you have it made. Of all the women listed I believe only Nicole Mitchell fits that bill. She is a cutie! And unlike many I know, she doesn't seem to be doing it just to be on TV. She actually has some passion for it.

Edited by Weatherman2112

Did anyone mention Jen Carfagno? She's cute!

http://www.cameroncole.com/gallery/News_Babes/Weather_Channel/Jen_Carfagno/200609030047.jpg

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Feb 23 2010, 10:16 AM)
Did anyone mention Jen Carfagno?  She's cute!

http://www.cameroncole.com/gallery/News_Babes/Weather_Channel/Jen_Carfagno/200609030047.jpg

yes for sure, her recent shorter hair style takes a lil away from her looks IMHO tho

Edited by BeOhBe Bob

QUOTE (Weatherman2112 @ Feb 9 2010, 06:34 PM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Feb 9 2010, 02:03 PM)
CT...you took the words right out of my mouth.  I can't stand "Wake Up With Al".  Abrams is cute, but she is obnoxious.  I don't have a problem with Al, but I want to hear about the weather.  If I wanted to be entertained, I'd watch a different program.  How about just telling me what's going on outside and leave it at that.

It will be a very sad day when the Weather Channel becomes to weather what MTV became to music.  sad.gif

I wonder if you can guess what I think of TWC....

Back in the day when they actually concentrated on Meteorology and real forecasting they were ok. What they do know is just plain awful! It's all about entertainment now. The shows...how weather changed history, storm stories, cantori stories, wake up with Al.....just bad tv. Hell, they even play movies on Friday nights now.

But, that's just my opinion. I guess that's what America seems to want now. Entertainment, mindless programming and pretty faces and bodies. It's shallow programming aimed at a shallow audience. I think it's right in there with crap like American Idol, the #1 show in America. I just don't get it. angry.gif They don't even really do their own forecasts anymore. Those "weather on the 8's" for your local area are just ripped from the local national weather service office.

If you want entertainment, watch the weather channel. If you just want a fairly reliable local forecast, go to your local National Weather Service website. They have real scientists doing their best to get the forecast right. And they do it well! And if you're a weather geek like me, you'll find all the toys in there that you'll need. Their websites are really quite good.

Ok, ok rantoff.gif Sorry C.T. but as you can tell, TWC pushes a nerve for me. Plus, I know a few good Meteorologists that used to work there but were fired to make room for prettier people rather than people that might actually know something about what they're talking about. You can have both entertainment and good Meteorology. They used to have a great example of that with Dave Schwartz. He had a very goofy and entertaining presentation but he also knew his stuff.

Ok, ok, ok rantoff.gif for real this time trink39.gif

goodpost.gif