Microsoft Word freezing!

circumstantial tree

I don't know why, but I can't seem to open my Microsoft Word program. Other programs run fine, but once I try opening Word, it freezes on me. I sometimes get a response saying "Not Responding".

What gives? confused13.gif

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jan 11 2010, 05:04 PM)
Try old faithful which is shutting down your PC, cut the power for a minute and then reboot.

Other than that what changes did you make to the PC since this started happening, install any new programs mebbe?

I've rebooted already, and on occasion it will open, but mostly won't. I haven't added any new programs.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jan 11 2010, 06:16 PM)
Try old faithful which is shutting down your PC, cut the power for a minute and then reboot.

Other than that what changes did you make to the PC since this started happening, install any new programs mebbe?

I've rebooted already, and on occasion it will open, but mostly won't. I haven't added any new programs.

Have you updated your av software recently?

Also you might consider running a repair.

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Jan 12 2010, 10:27 AM)

What's "av" software?

How do you do the repair?

Sometimes the normal.dot file becomes corrupted. This is the file that tells Word how to open a new blank document. If you have not done customizing to your new blank document (created macros etc) then you can delete the file and Word will create a new one the next time you open Word. You can find it here:

C:\Documents and Settings\your username\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates

Just delete the normal.dot file there and start Word to see if it fixes the problem.

It's a very quick and easy fix/test.

AV software your Anti-Virus software.

To do a repair:

Insert your Office cd. Start the installation process. It will see that Office is already installed and one of the options will be Reinstall (Modify)/Repair

Choose this option, don't change any of the install options

This will reinstall Office as it was the first time it was installed.

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Jan 12 2010, 09:19 AM)
Sometimes the normal.dot file becomes corrupted. This is the file that tells Word how to open a new blank document.  If you have not done customizing to your new blank document (created macros etc) then you can delete the file and Word will create a new one the next time you open Word.  You can find it here:

Just delete the normal.dot file there and start Word to see if it fixes the problem.

It's a very quick and easy fix/test.

AV software your Anti-Virus software.

To do a repair:

Insert your Office cd.  Start the installation process.  It will see that Office is already installed and one of the options will be Reinstall (Modify)/Repair

Choose this option, don't change any of the install options

This will reinstall Office as it was the first time it was installed.

This is the Exact fix you need (Fix #1). Happened to me a while back and this fixed it perfectly.

Edited by launchpad67a

I don't have a file called "Application Data". confused13.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jan 12 2010, 12:33 PM)

I don't have a file called "Application Data". confused13.gif

On the menu at the top of the window:

Click "Tools"

Click "Folder Options"

Click the "View" tab

Click "Show Hidden files and folders" (when you first click the view tab this option will be almost at the bottom)

Click "Apply"

Click the "Apply to all folders" button at the top

Click "Ok"

Now you should see your application folder.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jan 12 2010, 11:50 AM)
QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Jan 12 2010, 10:27 AM)

What's "av" software?

How do you do the repair?

Sorry I should have been more detailed. Thanks Digi and Launch for cleaning up after me.

well, I've never been "tech savvy". When it comes to the computer itself, I don't know much at all. I just know the software.

I found the file and deleted it. I haven't tried opening yet only because I'm busy doing something else.

I'll let you know how it turns out later....

Thanks guys for the help. smile.gif

Still doesn't work. Oh, and I can't find my Microsoft Word CD to reinstall. I'm not sure I even have one. When I bought my computer back in 2002, Word was already installed on the computer.

It will open, but only after I close it a few times and then keep trying. Ridiculous!