hooking guitar to computer

invisibleairwaves

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Mar 20 2005, 06:53 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 20 2005, 06:16 PM)
Are you plugging the guitar straight in, or are you going through any effects first?

I'm doing a bit of both.

I asked because the effects can make the signal even hotter going into the computer. Also, if you were plugging the guitar directly into the Mic In jack on your sound card that might screw things up.

You really should get a small mixing board. It'll convert the signal from your guitar into a more managable signal that your computer's sound card can handle. You would use the Tape Out jacks from the board into the sound card's Line In jack.

I'm not an audio expert, so I could be wrong on some of this. Maybe Cyg can confirm or deny?

I do it all the time. I run it through my guitar preamp/processor first though. I would suggest downloading "cakewalk" program so you can record. It's pretty much like a digital recorder once you get it setup. A home recording studio. You can also plug your guitar through this and it has it's own effects that you can add. I'm pretty sure you can find a copy on the internet for free. If not, I have it on CD but the only thing is, the version I have only works on windows 98. Let me know if you need anymore help....

Also, you say it sounds like shit, this could have a lot to do with the soundcard that you are using. In cakewalk you can adjust the input level so that the signal isn't so hot and it wont sound all distorted like it usualy does. I know theres other recording programs out there but I've been using cakewalk for 5-6 years and I have it pretty much mastered and I love it. I recorded 3 CD's on it so far.

Indica has the right idea. You Must use a preamp to do this properly. And also, if your computers 'system mixer' is not adjusted correctly then whatever your sending through the soundcard won't sound right. The system mixer is what controls the volume, line in, mic, cd volume, ect...on your computer. If your line in level is set too high it will sound terrible.

Archived