Computer problem symptoms

Inthend

Gateway laptop - mod# MT3422

Vista

1.5 yrs. old

Screen will go black for about 5-10 min when first turned on.

You can actually see the screen very faintly.

Also won't read disks.

Any thoughts appreciated. yes.gif

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Oct 11 2009, 09:36 AM)
I think your monitor is dying, and a total separate problem, your DVD drive is dead.

Is it still under warranty?

Well of course it's not under warranty, there's something wrong with it! comp26.gif

Sorry, misplaced aggression. tongue.gif

I don't know, it came on fine today.

When it does do it, it's like it's working on someting, and when it finishes working on that, the screen will light up... and after that it's fine.

As to the DVD, it did this before, and i took it in, and I think it was a software problem, they fixed it, it worked for about 3 months, and stopped working again. And I've waited too long on that warranty too. banghead.gif

Is that any more help?

QUOTE (Inthend @ Oct 11 2009, 03:11 PM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Oct 11 2009, 09:36 AM)
I think your monitor is dying, and a total separate problem, your DVD drive is dead.

Is it still under warranty?

Well of course it's not under warranty, there's something wrong with it! comp26.gif

Sorry, misplaced aggression. tongue.gif

I don't know, it came on fine today.

When it does do it, it's like it's working on someting, and when it finishes working on that, the screen will light up... and after that it's fine.

As to the DVD, it did this before, and i took it in, and I think it was a software problem, they fixed it, it worked for about 3 months, and stopped working again. And I've waited too long on that warranty too. banghead.gif

Is that any more help?

Plug in an external monitor and try your laptop. See if that goes dim on you as well. I bet you it won't.

Solve that problem first.

Archived