Roman Polansky Arrested

alphseeker

Interesting comments by some of you. It's almost as if your life has been impacted all these years by this issue. So how many of you knew Polanski had done this before this article was published? I sure didn't. And it didn't affect my life in any way because of it.

I wonder how much manpower (read money) was put into a hunt for Polanski I wonder who sat around and came up with the brilliant idea: "You know, we need to do whatever it takes to catch Polanski wherever he has gone to". It sure wasn't the victim (who has moved on.....and I'm very impressed at how she has overcome). Not the family, as far as we know. Finally, I wonder why it took 32 years to get around to this. Was it THAT low on the docket? And besides all that, is it really our job to police the world, given our current problems here at home? Curiouser and curiouser.

Alas, here is an article I just found on this very subject

I like the closing line of said article: "I think Polanski has already paid a horrible, soul-wrenching price for the infamy surrounding his actions. The real tragedy is that he will always, till his death, be snubbed and stalked and confronted by people who think the price he has already paid isn't enough."

I say let the man stay over there, and that way he can do more harm over HERE.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Sep 29 2009, 12:54 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Sep 28 2009, 07:54 PM)
Prosecution does not serve at the whims of the victim but for society.

Then if that's true, why did they go halfway across the globe to get him?

Doesn't seem like he's been a menace to American society for about 30 years.

I'm sure they have a society at the place they nabbed him at.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Sep 30 2009, 12:29 AM)

But I'm sure he hasn't committed a similar crime there.

Besides, even if they did, he'd be judged by their laws.

Keep him there, and put an end to this political stunt.

this piece of scum is going to walk. all the hollyweirdos are with him and it's going to be another pay off. the victim says she wants to let everything go but i think she's only saying that because she doesn't want to relive the whole thing over again by appearing in court. amazing woman who was a victim by a total pedophile and scum of the earth human being. i hope he goes away for a long time but something tells me he's going to get a slap on the wrist and they'll probably give him a star on the walk of lame. Edited by ReflectedLight

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Sep 30 2009, 04:00 PM)
this piece of scum is going to walk. all the hollyweirdos are with him and it's going to be another pay off. the victim says she wants to let everything go but i think she's only saying that because she doesn't want to relive the whole over again by appearing in court. amazing woman who was a victim by a total pedophile and scum of the earth human being. i hope he goes away for a long time but something tells me he's going to get a slap on the wrist and they'll probably give him a star on the walk of lame.

I'm afraid that this may be the case. I heard that Woody Allen signed some kind of "Save Roman" petition. Not surprising considering what went on between him and that young Asian girl.

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Sep 28 2009, 10:16 AM)
The Pianist was one of the most soul touching movies ever made - it's a shame that such a great director ruined his life with this horrible act against a 13 year old -

don't worry all the phonies in hollywood protecting him will reward him with a feel good star on the walk of lame.

Edited by ReflectedLight

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 30 2009, 04:16 PM)
this piece of scum is going to walk.  all the hollyweirdos are with him and it's going to be another pay off.  the victim says she wants to let everything go but i think she's only saying that because she doesn't want to relive the whole over again by appearing in court.  amazing woman who was a victim by a total pedophile and scum of the earth human being.  i hope he goes away for a long time but something tells me he's going to get a slap on the wrist and they'll probably give him a star on the walk of lame.

I'm afraid that this may be the case. I heard that Woody Allen signed some kind of "Save Roman" petition. Not surprising considering what went on between him and that young Asian girl.

i just heard about that. unbelievable! we're living in a f'up society. i actually have a friend that was raped 2 years younger and abused. beautiful person who's married but it's never behind you.

man i hope this guy goes away and rots from the inside out in prison.

o yeh, and woody allen is another scum of the earth piece of sh*t. angry.gif

Edited by ReflectedLight

I've kind of wanted to avoid this thread as it has definitely proven to be a polarizing issue. As many crime and justice stories usually are.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Sep 29 2009, 12:06 PM)
Interesting comments by some of you.  It's almost as if your life has been impacted all these years by this issue.  So how many of you knew Polanski had done this before this article was published?  I sure didn't.  And it didn't affect my life in any way because of it.

Even if people here are not directly impacted by the Polanski case, some here probably have been affected or know someone who was a victim of a sexual crime. It can be one of the most emotionally scarring things to happen to a person, so it's easy to see why the demand to see justice served is so loud here and throughout many circles.

And yes, I did know about the rape case before the current news stories started getting published. Just like I knew about his first wife being killed by the Manson family.

I wonder how much manpower (read money) was put into a hunt for Polanski  I wonder who sat around and came up with the brilliant idea: "You know, we need to do whatever it takes to catch Polanski wherever he has gone to".  It sure wasn't the victim (who has moved on.....and I'm very impressed at how she has overcome).  Not the family, as far as we know.  Finally, I wonder why it took 32 years to get around to this.  Was it THAT low on the docket? 

Several here state that justice would not be served by imprisoning Polanski, or that the circumstances of the case were not justice but political-motivated. Be that as it may, Polanski should never have fled. If there was worry that the judge was going to rescind the plea bargain, his lawyers should have been proactive with the California Bar Association, or should have immediately began preparing for appeal. If there was even a hint of misconduct, the higher courts most likely would have thrown out the sentence. It's not like he was relying on an incompentent pro bono public defender. Even then, he was a multi-millionaire film director with access to the best defense attorneys in the country.

This was never an issue of using manpower (or money) to hunt for Polanksi. Everyone knew where he was. Because of treaty rules between the U.S. and France, Polanski could not be extradited from France. In a way, it was like he was standing behind a fence, teasing the pit bull. So the reason there was so much intent on getting him is not because of his crime, but because of his act of fleeing justice. The Justice Department has sent a message that one can not flee punishment as issued by the rule of law and expect to get away with it. They HAD to try to extradite him the first chance they had, if for any reason to follow their own rules. You can't just turn a blind eye because the man is famous or because there may have been misconduct behind his sentencing.

I have a feeling that, if he is extradited, the original rape case will probably be ruled as 'time served.' Unfortunately, he may be facing some prison time for being a fugitive from justice for 32 years.

Alas, here is an article I just found on this very subject

I like the closing line of said article: "I think Polanski has already paid a horrible, soul-wrenching price for the infamy surrounding his actions. The real tragedy is that he will always, till his death, be snubbed and stalked and confronted by people who think the price he has already paid isn't enough."

I say let the man stay over there, and that way he can do more harm over HERE.

Apparently that has not necessarily been the case. People obviously still look up to him as a film-maker as evidenced by public interest in some of his movies since he fled. For some reason, people think of HIM as the victim. Your last line doesn't make sense.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 30 2009, 02:16 PM)
this piece of scum is going to walk.  all the hollyweirdos are with him and it's going to be another pay off.  the victim says she wants to let everything go but i think she's only saying that because she doesn't want to relive the whole over again by appearing in court.  amazing woman who was a victim by a total pedophile and scum of the earth human being.  i hope he goes away for a long time but something tells me he's going to get a slap on the wrist and they'll probably give him a star on the walk of lame.

Did anyone else spot the unusual connection between Woody Allen and Polanski? Polanski directed Mia Farrow, Allen's ex-wife, in Rosemary's Baby. Curious how Farrow felt about this whole thing or Allen petitioning for Polanski to not be extradited.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Sep 30 2009, 04:04 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Sep 30 2009, 12:29 AM)

But I'm sure he hasn't committed a similar crime there.

Besides, even if they did, he'd be judged by their laws.

Keep him there, and put an end to this political stunt.

reward a fugitive with forgiveness?

sorry.

how do you know he has not committed a crime there?

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Oct 1 2009, 02:55 PM)
Forgiveness is basically closure for the victim. It doesn't absolve the criminal of his crime.

Hear hear!

she doesn't want to go through everything all over again and i can't blame her. i think when they let this piece of scum off the hook again, he'll be back in europe in the blink of an eye.

Swartzenegger commented that Polanski should be treated like everyone else. touche arnold! no free passes and throw him in the slammer.

Interesting addendum.

Polanski's victim filed a civil suit in '88, a settlement for half a million was reached in '93, but apparently the victim has not received all the money. Whether she has received any is not divulged.

I suppose the question is, how much has Polanski been receiving for his films since he fled and why has he not paid what he agreed to pay? He can't use the 'protesting injustice and extortion' argument as he pled guilty in '78. I'm sure The Pianist alone probably made several million and he probably pocketed a quarter of the earnings. This just makes him look more and more like a slimebag.