Barebone computers

Indica

I need another good computer for my ticket business and have been looking on ebay to check prices and saw some p4 barebones for about $275 + $35 shipping. Memory isn't included so I will have to buy that too. I'm looking at around $350 for a new setup. I have many hard drives, CD players, video cards, monitors etc, etc so I won't need any of that. I'm looking for something fast and reliable.

I seen some Celeron barebones for $100 cheaper but I never messed with Celeron before, Any comments on Celeron? Is it worth it to just stay with the Pentiums? That's what I usually do but I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with Celerons. Are they slower, less reliable? If anyone knows where I can get a better deal from a good seller please let me know. Any help would be appreciated. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

The Celeron is a step down form the "regular" pentium. The difference is the amount of cache built in to the processor. All processors have cache built in. It's kind of like how the pc has RAM (memory) to utilize, the processor has it's own dedicated memory (cache). The Celerons have 256 KB of cache The regular pentiums have either 1MB or 2MB depending on the model. You can see that is quite a big difference. If you play alot of games, do a lot of number crunching, lots of graphics the Celeron will definitely slow you down. If you are just typing Word docs it won't be an issue. The money you save isn't usually significant enough to go with the Celeron, IMO.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Mar 14 2005, 11:52 AM)
I would never buy an Intel Celery chip.  Pay a little extra for the real deal. 

If you want to save a bit, try an AMD Athlon chip.  My PC is a few years old (AthlonXP 1400+).  I've been really happy with it.

My brother always gets computers with AMD Athlons in them, he seems to like them. I always went with the regular pentiums because I never had a problem with them and I like having what I thought was the best out there. I use my computer for recording music and sometimes I have 10-15 wavs playing at one time so that takes a lot of memory, if I don't it will keep "dropping out" in the middle of a mix or recording. I always keep my computer with max memory and never have a problem. It sounds like I should just stay with the pentiums even though I would be using this computer mainly for internet use but you never know when will I use it for my main computer later on. I'm constantly selling my computers after I use them for 1-2 years at the most because I like to stay on top of what's out there. I always figure if my computer is 2 years old then it's outdated lol.

Archived