District 9

vital signz

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Jun 20 2011, 09:55 PM)
Impressed with the story.
Impressed with the concept.
Impressed with the uniqueness.
Relatively impressed with most of the characters.
Not so impressed with the script and dialogue, more the latter, overall.
Kind of killed the film for me. Made it feel more like a Michael Bay film in that respect.
So D9 is certainly not the best sci-fi I've ever seen. In the top ten? Maybe.
I wouldn't call it remarkable, maybe "memorable", but it's not something I'd go back and watch over and over because I loved it. But maybe it's just me. Everyone else seemed to have adored it.

I agree completely. I really like Bay's movies, but there's something about his movies and movies like them that make them lack replayability. I have seen it multiple times, but I find it lack a certain value that many good movies have that let you play them over and over again (Star Trek 11, Ocean's 11-13 and back to the future 1-3 I believe are firm examples).

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Jun 23 2011, 09:42 AM)
QUOTE (CMWriter @ Jun 20 2011, 09:55 PM)
Impressed with the story.
Impressed with the concept.
Impressed with the uniqueness.
Relatively impressed with most of the characters.
Not so impressed with the script and dialogue, more the latter, overall.
Kind of killed the film for me. Made it feel more like a Michael Bay film in that respect.
So D9 is certainly not the best sci-fi I've ever seen. In the top ten? Maybe.
I wouldn't call it remarkable, maybe "memorable", but it's not something I'd go back and watch over and over because I loved it. But maybe it's just me. Everyone else seemed to have adored it.

I agree completely. I really like Bay's movies, but there's something about his movies and movies like them that make them lack replayability. I have seen it multiple times, but I find it lack a certain value that many good movies have that let you play them over and over again (Star Trek 11, Ocean's 11-13 and back to the future 1-3 I believe are firm examples).

There's something about Bay's movies that make them lack replayability: Yeah, they suck! tongue.gif

All colorful and sugarful in appearance but no meat or flavor to the work. The guy did Armageddon. That says a lot.

I really loved this movie, in fact, I loved this movie so much I bought the special edition.

I think you should take into account that this film transcends the norms of traditional Sci-Fi into other terrains.

I could go on a nerd/philosophy dialogue, but I will control myself. *blush*

Edited by garbo