Bands That Do Not Do Cover Songs

tangy

I guess this is inspired by the recent the camera eye discussion about cover songs.

I am interested in this from trivia/curiosity perspective and need help from hardcore fans.

Can anyone name any groups that have never done a cover song? either recorded live or recorded in the studio?

lets assume that all groups do a cover or two live when they first start off and focus on when they had achieved some amount of fame/sucess?

Going through my favorites, i find most of them have done a cover song at least once if not more.

rush, hendrix, grateful dead, RHCP, lynryd skynyrd, steely dan, the waterboys, DT, spocks beard, yes, megadeth etc. etc

I am unsure about Genesis. I can't recall? help? what about porcupine tree? has janes addiction ever done a cover? what about tool?

can you name any groups and if possible add any insight into why you think they never did a cover song?

You can be rest assured that every band you can think of has done a cover song at one point in their careers, especially before they got their record deal and notoriety.

If not early in their careers, then as b-sides to singles. It was a well-established practice at least in the 80s, if not way before then.

QUOTE (Rendclaw @ Aug 16 2009, 12:15 PM)
You can be rest assured that every band you can think of has done a cover song at one point in their careers, especially before they got their record deal and notoriety.

If not early in their careers, then as b-sides to singles. It was a well-established practice at least in the 80s, if not way before then.

I agree but am wondering if there are exceptions?

Surely there must be at least one?

Yeah, I was about to say, Yes have never really been a cover band but they covered "Jailhouse Rock" at a show in Texas back in like 2001. They also performed "Gimme Some Lovin'" several times on the 9012Live tour. Green Day cover "Shout" at many of their concerts (they also did "We Are The Champions" at some of the America Idiot shows, and also covered "My Generation" back in the early '90s). My Chemical Romance did the cover of "Desolation Row" for Watchmen, but other than that most of their setlists have been clear of covers. Skynyrd did "Crossroads" as well as "T For Texas" in concert. Rush did Feedback and then half the album on tour. I can't really think of any that didn't do covers; then again, I don't know everything about all the bands in my collection.

Have Radiohead done any covers live/studio?

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Aug 16 2009, 01:15 PM)
Yeah, I was about to say, Yes have never really been a cover band but they covered "Jailhouse Rock" at a show in Texas back in like 2001. They also performed "Gimme Some Lovin'" several times on the 9012Live tour.

good knowledge! i bet those were awesome. I did see the 90125 tour though wonder if i saw that. that concert was a bit of a blur and somehow i ended up buying a pink sleeveless glow in the dark shirt. yikes. never wore but still have it.

the yes cover i was thinking about is America by simon and garfunkel.

what about pink floyd?

QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 16 2009, 01:59 PM)
http://www.secondhandsongs.com/

this site allows you to search by artist if anyone gives a rats ass.

i was going through the pink floyd page and could not find they covered anyone??

i think its gonna take a weird arsty kinda band to not have done any covers and was thinking about the mars volta. turns out they covered floyd.

Wow Tool Covered two songs. No Quarter and You Lied.

QUOTE (Victoria's Ladder @ Aug 16 2009, 02:08 PM)

i was going through the pink floyd page and could not find they covered anyone??

i think its gonna take a weird arsty kinda band to not have  done any covers and was thinking about the mars volta. turns out they covered floyd.

yeah, the site is pretty cool.

i did listen to the no quarter link you provided. that was quite good.

QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 16 2009, 02:17 PM)
QUOTE (Victoria's Ladder @ Aug 16 2009, 02:08 PM)

i think its gonna take a weird arsty kinda band to not have  done any covers and was thinking about the mars volta. turns out they covered floyd.

yeah, the site is pretty cool.

i did listen to the no quarter link you provided. that was quite good.

Yeah I love it wub.gif

QUOTE (Victoria's Ladder @ Aug 16 2009, 06:22 PM)
Tool Has done a cover. Led Zeppelin- No quarter,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdQGSykj6vo
I actually Like Tool Version Better.

Wow, that's a kick-ass cover! 1022.gif I've never heard that before, thanks for posting, I really enjoyed that! trink39.gif

I can think of very FEW bands that do as many covers as DT does.........a bit overkill........especially SELLING full album covers like Puppets, Dark Side, The Number of the Beast, and god knows how many others they've done......

QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ Aug 16 2009, 02:33 PM)
QUOTE (Victoria's Ladder @ Aug 16 2009, 06:22 PM)
Tool Has done a cover. Led Zeppelin- No quarter,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdQGSykj6vo
I actually Like Tool Version Better.

Wow, that's a kick-ass cover! 1022.gif I've never heard that before, thanks for posting, I really enjoyed that! trink39.gif

You are welcome! Glad You enjoyed tongue.gif

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Aug 16 2009, 02:43 PM)
I can think of very FEW bands that do as many covers as DT does.........a bit overkill........especially SELLING full album covers like Puppets, Dark Side, The Number of the Beast, and god knows how many others they've done......

ok. we get it. really we do.

however you are a Kings X expert here on the forum. are they cover free and if not what do they cover?

QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 16 2009, 02:46 PM)
I think i have found one and it was there under my nose the whole time. Granted they are pretty obscure/unheard of but one of my all time favorite groups.

Ozric Tentacles 1022.gif 1022.gif

The Beatles has Never Covered songs. and Pink Floyd

QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 16 2009, 01:48 PM)

however you are a Kings X expert here on the forum. are they cover free and if not what do they cover?

no, they've done a few covers here and there (rarely any live), .......a good one of Manic Depression.....

QUOTE (Victoria's Ladder @ Aug 16 2009, 08:48 PM)
I think i have found one and it was there under my nose the whole time. Granted they are pretty obscure/unheard of but one of my all time favorite groups.

Ozric Tentacles  1022.gif  1022.gif

The Beatles covered many songs by artists such as Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Buddy Holly and Carl Perkins.

QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ Aug 16 2009, 02:57 PM)

The Beatles covered many songs by artists such as Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Buddy Holly and Carl Perkins.

Then that website is wrong.

Ah No it isn't it just has too much stuff on it. laugh.gif

QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ Aug 16 2009, 02:57 PM)

I thought so.

What about Pink Floyd? where Rushgoober when we need him!

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Aug 16 2009, 02:50 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 16 2009, 01:48 PM)

no, they've done a few covers here and there (rarely any live), .......a good one of Manic Depression.....

trink39.gif

I bet they do a great job of it too!

QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 16 2009, 02:27 PM)
the yes cover i was thinking about is America by simon and garfunkel.

doh.gif

I completely forgot about that one. Probably one of my favorite covers.

Archived