I saw Dave Matthew's Band last night

mfratt

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dude Carter Buford is an awesome drummer. Dave Matthews is a great lyricist and guitar player and the band is solid top to bottom. Seen them 10 times since like 1995,havent seen them since 2003. Buford is a totally different drum style than Peart but he is an amazing player none the less.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 3 2009, 02:49 AM)
QUOTE (apetersvt @ Jun 2 2009, 11:07 PM)
I find DMB very talented and enjoyable but I can only take a little bit. 
Dave's whiney voice annoys me.  Their extended jams are definately their strong point to me.

I've only seen them once.  It was around '93 or '94 when they used to have a regular gig in Richmond.  I'm pretty sure it was a $5 cover.  At the time, I'm sure I was upset at the cover charge where, in my mind, there were a lot better 'local' bands much better with no cover.

On a side note, I was always amazed with Tim Reynolds.  I don't know if he still plays with DMB or not.  His band, TR3 kicked ass and I saw them frequently (back in the early 90s)

I agree. Lose the voice and just let DMB be a jam band like Little Feat.

Isn't it ironic that we get shit for loving Geddy's voice?

Most people don't get it.

We do.

That's because everyone who craps on Rush fans for liking Geddy's voice is under the impression that Ged still sings in the higher registers of the 1970's albums. eh.gif

QUOTE (FOH Lights @ Jun 2 2009, 11:33 PM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jun 2 2009, 03:53 PM)
QUOTE (FOH Lights @ Jun 1 2009, 03:09 PM)
A really nice group of guys. Well... other than dumping their bus waste tank on a bunch of tourists in Chicago 5 years ago!  doh.gif

mhm. of course a poor choice on the part of the band's BUS DRIVER is all their fault and truly speaks to their character. yep. without that blemish they would all be nice guys. too bad someone else who is related to the band made a bad decision that doesn't relate to the band at all, because that blemishes their whole moral being.

don't worry, there's plenty wrong with ALL your posts, i just chose to pick on this one first at random.

How was their "moral being" blemished? Anyone with half a brain would understand that it was a nothing more than an unfortunate mistake/accident. In addition, they handled the fallout (no pun intended) in a very respectable manner and accepted full responsibility. That's what a class act does.

you do realize that YOU'RE the one who said that the incident was the only reason why they're not a "nice bunch of guys" right? I was merely restating what you said in an elaborate, sarcastic manner. before you go digging into someone else's post why don't you figure out what the source of their information, or lack thereof, is.

I was actually getting excited to see this DMB Tour. Too bad they aren't playing at an Arena in the Bay Area, they are playing at some Festival in the middle of Golden Gate Park. It's during a three day affair in August.

Pass. sad.gif

I can tolerate Dave's voice because the music is damn good.

"Alligator Pie" is yummy for my tummy.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 4 2009, 05:50 AM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 3 2009, 02:49 AM)
QUOTE (apetersvt @ Jun 2 2009, 11:07 PM)
I find DMB very talented and enjoyable but I can only take a little bit. 
Dave's whiney voice annoys me.  Their extended jams are definately their strong point to me.

I've only seen them once.  It was around '93 or '94 when they used to have a regular gig in Richmond.  I'm pretty sure it was a $5 cover.  At the time, I'm sure I was upset at the cover charge where, in my mind, there were a lot better 'local' bands much better with no cover.

On a side note, I was always amazed with Tim Reynolds.  I don't know if he still plays with DMB or not.  His band, TR3 kicked ass and I saw them frequently (back in the early 90s)

I agree. Lose the voice and just let DMB be a jam band like Little Feat.

Isn't it ironic that we get shit for loving Geddy's voice?

Most people don't get it.

We do.

That's because everyone who craps on Rush fans for liking Geddy's voice is under the impression that Ged still sings in the higher registers of the 1970's albums. eh.gif

Excellent point Mara.

We Rush fans need to stick together.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jun 4 2009, 03:48 PM)
QUOTE (FOH Lights @ Jun 2 2009, 11:33 PM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jun 2 2009, 03:53 PM)
QUOTE (FOH Lights @ Jun 1 2009, 03:09 PM)
A really nice group of guys. Well... other than dumping their bus waste tank on a bunch of tourists in Chicago 5 years ago!  doh.gif

mhm. of course a poor choice on the part of the band's BUS DRIVER is all their fault and truly speaks to their character. yep. without that blemish they would all be nice guys. too bad someone else who is related to the band made a bad decision that doesn't relate to the band at all, because that blemishes their whole moral being.

don't worry, there's plenty wrong with ALL your posts, i just chose to pick on this one first at random.

How was their "moral being" blemished? Anyone with half a brain would understand that it was a nothing more than an unfortunate mistake/accident. In addition, they handled the fallout (no pun intended) in a very respectable manner and accepted full responsibility. That's what a class act does.

you do realize that YOU'RE the one who said that the incident was the only reason why they're not a "nice bunch of guys" right? I was merely restating what you said in an elaborate, sarcastic manner. before you go digging into someone else's post why don't you figure out what the source of their information, or lack thereof, is.

Wow, it's obvious that you completely missed the humor intended in my comment about the incident. Hence the doh.gif emoticon.

My friend, I've known DMB & crew for a number of years and was being sincere in my comment/s about them being a great group guys. You have to admit that at this point, the "dumping" incident is rather humorous - no long term adverse affects on anyone in the organization.

I don't know you and you don't know me, but I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt and say it was just a misunderstanding on your part. No real harm done, as far as I'm concerned. You? trink39.gif

That being said, I don't understand this comment... at all.

"don't worry, there's plenty wrong with ALL your posts, i just chose to pick on this one first at random. "

Please explain.

QUOTE (FOH Lights @ Jun 4 2009, 06:15 PM)

"don't worry, there's plenty wrong with ALL your posts, i just chose to pick on this one first at random. "

Please explain.

you really dont see a problem with ANY of the other posts in this thread?

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jun 4 2009, 05:44 PM)
QUOTE (FOH Lights @ Jun 4 2009, 06:15 PM)

Please explain.

you really dont see a problem with ANY of the other posts in this thread?

Ahhhh, now I'm getting it. Your 1st post was to say that you thought this thread was pathetic. Yet, even after you were considerate enough to announce that ever-so-important and on-topic information to the rest of the forum, you went on to make 2 or 3 additional posts in this "pathetic" thread. In the process, dissing EVERYONE who posted here.

Generally, if I don't care for a thread, I just move on to another one. I certainly don't feel an obligation to inform everyone else of my disdain for it. I mean, that's what normal, well adjusted people do, right? You, on the other hand, seem to have this need to make your dissatisfaction well known... again... and again... and again. You see, that's not exactly normal. Here's the thing: while we appreciate you taking the time to briefly come out of the Music of Spheres thread, it wasn't exactly necessary and contributed nothing to this thread.

BTW, according to your last.fm profile, you've listened to 41 DMB tracks, in the last 3 months and they're in your top 52 of 490 bands! Which makes your reaction to this thread, all the more bizarre... confused13.gif

OT:

For the first time ever, on Friday DMB will wake up early and perform on the Today show. While that's a little surprising to me, it does fit in with their schedule.

Archived