any drum technicians on TRF?

I'm just looking for any words of advice on being a drum tech. I live 3 minutes from a new club that has national acts play a couple times a month and they need a drum tech. All I really have to do is fine tune the drums and play them for a preliminary sound check so they can get a good monitor mix and a good main mix without wasting their drummer's arms. It takes only about an hour. For some bands I might have to do a lot more, but faster pussycat was here wednesday and I did their rented DW kit in about an hour. (those cats got kicked out of their hotel room that day! )

Any suggestions /tips from drummers or technicians?

Well, im halfway through a 2 year Music Sound Engineer (Studio Recording) Qualification, and also Im a live drummer. Take your time, make sure it's good quality, and doesn't sound like crap. Find out what the drummer likes / doesn't like.

Also, when sound checking the kit, don't roll on the drums. Hit the drum, let it ring out, then hit it again. Then when the Tech tells you to change drum, change drum.

Edited by Sir Lerxst

QUOTE (Sir Lerxst @ Jan 3 2009, 01:12 PM)
Well, im halfway through a 2 year Music Sound Engineer (Studio Recording) Qualification, and also Im a live drummer. Take your time, make sure it's good quality, and doesn't sound like crap. Find out what the drummer likes / doesn't like.

Also, when sound checking the kit, don't roll on the drums. Hit the drum, let it ring out, then hit it again. Then when the Tech tells you to change drum, change drum.

Oh, very cool! Yeah, I know the part about hit each drum with one hit after another slowly and stuff. the interesting thing I wanted to point out is when I was sound checking for faster pussycat the engineer told me to play some fast stuff on the toms. Then later on he said "play the neil peart stuff again". lol

Thanks for the advice and good luck with your career!

On the few occasions that I've done drum tech work, I've found that a toolbox of gadgets will be your best friend.

From memory, mine has in it...

• Drum keys (you can never have too many)
  • Gloves (to prevent fingerprints)
  • Gaffa tape
  • Screwdrivers (various sizes)
  • Spare cymbal felts/nylon sleeves/wingnuts
  • Spare tension rods of various lengths
  • Scissors
  • Clean, dry rags
  • Small bottle of vinegar (great for cleaning rims/lugs/hardware)
  • Furniture polish (ideal for polishing drum shells)
  • Spare pair of drumsticks
  • Spare bass drum beater
  • Pen and notepad (always a good idea to take notes)
  • Feather duster (for last minute cleaning)
  • Small container of grease (for lubricating tension rods)
  • Felt strips (for when extreme dampening is needed)

I'm sure I've got more in there, but as long as you've got most of the stuff on this list then you should be fine.

Best thing to do is to take your time - arrive at the venue as early as possible so you don't need to rush. If possible, find out from the drummer if he has any special needs or has a specific setup.

I remember once setting up a large kit, then getting told at the last minute that the drummer was left handed and the whole kit had to be flipped around. Find out all you can so you're sure the performer is at ease and happy with the instrument.

If you want to go to extremes, take your own cymbals and snare drum to the gig and stash them backstage. When dealing with rental kits (which I've done quite often) I've found that cymbals and the snare are the first things artists will want to change around if they're not totally comfortable with them.

Other than all that, have fun and be fun! A good tech will result in a good drummer and a good show.