National Suicide prevention hotline

nettiesaur

In honor of Taylor...and anyone else who feels like him

United States:

The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is a 24-hour, toll-free suicide prevention service available to anyone in suicidal crisis. If you need help, please dial 1-800-273-TALK (8255). You will be routed to the closest possible crisis center in your area. With more than 130 crisis centers across the country, our mission is to provide immediate assistance to anyone seeking mental health services. Call for yourself, or someone you care about. Your call is free and confidential.

If anyone has the numbers for Canada or the U.K. please post them. I could not find them online.

I found these for the U.K.

United Kingdom

08457 90 90 90

Ireland

1850 60 90 90

Its important that anyone of any age having any kind of problem talk to family, friends, coworkers, and/or professionals if they even have the slightest hint of harming themselves.

To often (especially men) the stigma that may come along with treatment for clinical depression or any other of emotional or mental issue prevents people from seeking help.

This goes not only for the people in trouble, but those that detect trouble in someone they know...if you thin theres an issue, bring it up, try to help, dont stay silent wondering.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Sep 23 2008, 07:39 AM)
Its important that anyone of any age having any kind of problem talk to family, friends, coworkers, and/or professionals if they even have the slightest hint of harming themselves.

To often (especially men) the stigma that may come along with treatment for clinical depression or any other of emotional or mental issue prevents people from seeking help.

This goes not only for the people in trouble, but those that detect trouble in someone they know...if you thin theres an issue, bring it up, try to help, dont stay silent wondering.

True, but sometimes your loved one doesn't want your help or doesn't want to admit it, or the person is estranged from family and friends, or the family and friends need a little help finding some help... they can call the hotlines too.

It can be very tough to see the signs. We knew my sister was depressed (I mean, what 38-year old facing a possible lifetime of dialysis wouldn't be?), and she'd had a previous attempt. But she was seeing her psychiatrist and therapist and taking her meds.

But she was smart enough to know how to hide the signs. We worried that she might become suicidal again, constantly, but she wasn't displaying any of the classic behavior (giving stuff away, tying up loose ends, etc.) that would indicate she might have a plan. Even her therapist and doctors were taken aback.

She did call the hotline once, before her first attempt. She didn't think much of it, but that was her experience. It's definitely a needed resource.

QUOTE (Marathonist @ Sep 23 2008, 09:40 PM)
It can be very tough to see the signs. We knew my sister was depressed (I mean, what 38-year old facing a possible lifetime of dialysis wouldn't be?), and she'd had a previous attempt. But she was seeing her psychiatrist and therapist and taking her meds.

But she was smart enough to know how to hide the signs. We worried that she might become suicidal again, constantly, but she wasn't displaying any of the classic behavior (giving stuff away, tying up loose ends, etc.) that would indicate she might have a plan. Even her therapist and doctors were taken aback.

She did call the hotline once, before her first attempt. She didn't think much of it, but that was her experience. It's definitely a needed resource.

Yeah I hid everything very well. I think the hotlines are a great idea.

Archived