The Police World Tour

Maestro

So, I was listening to the radio in the car on my way home yesterday when the local DJ at our classic rock station, starts begins babbling about The Police at MSG...

Says the show was a 'Solid, jammed-packed two hours of Rock & Roll guaranteed to please all fans, young and old alike...'

and so on and so forth.

I mean, he really does them up righteously, ya know ? (I understand... ...he's just doing his job, right?)

Then he goes on to play a couple of interview clips of Sting and Andy Sommers -like something you'd hear from a couple of Quarterbacks after a football game:

Sting: "When we do a show, we want it to be comfortable for our fans... ...like putting on an old pair of shoes."

Sommers: "I'm open to the idea of a new album, so long as it isn't about the business aspect of the business..."

Nothing against The Police, you understand... ...I listened to them a lot in the '80s -especially GITM & SYNC. It's just all of these accolades for a band that I heard not long ago was engaged in something of a 'Troubled Tour.'

By the same token, I was talking on the telephone to a friend of mine on the other side of the country about Rush closing The Snakes & Arrows tour in Indianapolis -his neck of the woods and formerly my own. He said he was going to the show and all of that; but the point is, he went out of his way to tell me what his local DJ had to say about The Boyz on the air:

"Rush is just a drum-based band."

And this from someone who's been in the business for years and years...

Sheeeesh!

(Apparently he's had his brain retro-fitted or something, as he's stuck on bands like The Grateful Dead and Deep Purple -you know... ...The ones which no longer tour (?))

DJs just doing their jobs? Just because they're on the air doesn't mean they're an authority on anything.

III.

QUOTE (Maestro @ Aug 9 2008, 10:48 AM)
So, I was listening to the radio in the car on my way home yesterday when the local DJ at our classic rock station, starts begins babbling about The Police at MSG...

Says the show was a 'Solid, jammed-packed two hours of Rock & roll guaranteed to please all fans, young and old alike...'

and so on and so forth.

I mean, he really does them up righteously, ya know ? (I understand... ...he's just doing his job, right?)

Then he goes on to play a couple of interview clips of Sting and Andy Sommers -like something you'd hear from a couple of Quarterbacks after a football game:

Sting: "When we do a show, we want it to be comfortable for our fans... ...like putting on an old pair of shoes."

Sommers: "I'm open to the idea of a new album, so long as it isn't about the business aspect of the business..."

Nothing against The Police, you understand... ...I listened to them a lot in the '80s -especially GITM & SYNC. It's just all of these accolades for a band that I heard not long ago was engaged in something of a 'Troubled Tour.'

By the same token, I was talking on the telephone to a friend of mine on the other side of the country about Rush closing The Snakes & Arrows tour in Indianapolis -his neck of the woods and formerly my own. He said he was going to the show and all of that; but the point is, he went out of his way to tell me what his local DJ had to say about The Boyz on the air:

"Rush is just a drum-based band."

And this from someone who's been in the business for years and years...
Sheeeesh!

(Apparently he's had his brain retro-fitted or something, as he's stuck on bands like The Grateful Dead and Deep Purple -you know... ...The ones which no longer tour (?))

DJs just doing their jobs? Just because they're on the air doesn't mean they're an authority on anything.

III.

They have to follow a lot and not know a lot about everything I guess.

I heard a VERY well known DJ in Philly talking about "big Canadian rock groups" and he failed to mention Rush. He knows about them, of course, it just slipped his mind during the usual idiotic morning "witty banter".

Let's face it, Rush is a cult band, even at their peak in the early eighties. The Police are considered an all-time great band, at their peak there was no bigger band in the world. Even now, The Police's music covers a much larger demographic.

Archived