Mike Oldfield

QUOTE (edgyspice @ Jun 16 2008, 04:20 PM)
Why is everyone hating on that video? I think it's charming. And try to tell me that doesn't look like one of the most awesome ways to spend a day ever.

You didn't have to put up with that TV show for a decade or two that's why it's charming to you...

laugh.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 14 2008, 10:38 PM)
The trouble with Mike Oldfield for me is that once you've seen him do Blue Peter, including redoing their theme tune, complete with a totally gay WWI-style video, he does sort of diminish quite a bit in a way that's hard to quell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doap3hodYKo

laugh.gif

That's insane! I was watching the William Tell video recently, 8 Mikes playing all sorts of instruments, including the bodhran(Irish handdrum made of goatskin)!

These tunes, Portsmouth, In Dulce Jubilo, Cuckoo Song and Don Alfonso what were his reasons for releasing them?

They're catchy, but rather irritating. (Mind you, as a kid I thought they're were the mutts nuts!)

Still a legend though.

QUOTE (nic2112nic @ Jun 17 2008, 11:45 PM)
QUOTE (Jaye @ Jun 17 2008, 08:42 PM)
^ I absolutely love In Dulci Jubilo! biggrin.gif I played it at work today tongue.gif

Hehe me too, I like playing it on my classical guitar tongue.gif

Awesome trink39.gif I like playing it too biggrin.gif

Listened to TB III a lot yesterday, I was surpised how good it sounded.

However, Earth Moving is trying my patience. It's a bit wet. Holy with Lord Belew is good, but then it seems to go downhill rapidly.

Any Earth Moving defenders out there?

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jun 26 2008, 10:10 AM)
However, Earth Moving is trying my patience. It's a bit wet. Holy with Lord Belew is good, but then it seems to go downhill rapidly.

scared.gif

Yes! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/Jett_Moonwing/Emotes/shakefist.gif

tongue.gif

I do actually love most of it biggrin.gif

Whereas, I only really like 4 songs on TB3

Edited by Jaye

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jun 26 2008, 09:10 AM)

Yay, some love for TBIII!!!

Was watching the Exposed DVD this morning, funny how punk audiences spat at the band they were watching/listening, but Mike Oldfield audiences went one better, they threw paper planes at the group!! Crazy, in a pipe and slippers kind of way. Great DVD though.

So tonight I went through the entire TB saga (TB 1973, II, III, Millenium, 2003) and I have to admit, it's all brillant! Each album is flawlessly recorded and played. If you ask me in 100 years people will remember Mike for this collection of albums.

The only "bad" thing I'd say it that The Millenium Bell is a great concept although it could have been better.

QUOTE (Soni @ Jul 21 2008, 12:33 AM)
So tonight I went through the entire TB saga (TB 1973, II, III, Millenium, 2003) and I have to admit, it's all brillant! Each album is flawlessly recorded and played. If you ask me in 100 years people will remember Mike for this collection of albums.
The only "bad" thing I'd say it that The Millenium Bell is a great concept although it could have been better.

I may have to do that sometime, I'm quite in the mood for some MO listening smile.gif

Yes I have listened to Earth moving a lot and It's a great album the only one I'm having a little trouble with is "Blue Night".. But the songs like "See the Light" and Earth moving is awesome.. You maybe need to give it some more time.. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Earth Moving is rather dated in its sound, but I like it more than I would have expected. However, I heard TB II again for the first time in years and it just reminded me of how much I hate new age music (love the original TB, though).

I've been listening to a lot of Oldfield lately and Platinum is emerging as a favorite. I also like QE2 and Islands.

Edited by edgyspice

QUOTE (edgyspice @ Jul 23 2008, 09:31 PM)
Earth Moving is rather dated in its sound, but I like it more than I would have expected. However, I heard TB II again for the first time in years and it just reminded me of how much I hate new age music (love the original TB, though).

I've been listening to a lot of Oldfield lately and Platinum is emerging as a favorite. I also like QE2 and Islands.

Platinum may also be my favorite, if you like it try to find Airborn it's the same (with woodhenge remplaced by Guilty) and a kick-ass live version of Tubular Bells and Incantations.

you can find it on emule trink39.gif

QUOTE (HisCounterpart @ Mar 30 2009, 08:27 PM)
TBIII is by far my fav Oldfield effort. Far Above the Clouds.... ethereal!

Outcast! 1022.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Mar 30 2009, 08:38 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Mar 30 2009, 03:33 PM)
Last night I watched this video I found of live performance of TB from 1974...on BBC 4.

It was pretty awesome!

Question.....Is this on the Elements DVD?

The one from '2nd House' at the BBC?

This one?:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/Jett_Moonwing/Tubular1b.jpg

That is on Elements. yes.gif

QUOTE (Jaye @ Mar 30 2009, 05:11 PM)

The one from '2nd House' at the BBC?
This one?:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/Jett_Moonwing/Tubular1b.jpg

That is on Elements. yes.gif

Yes that is the one. Thanks!

Unfortunately I cannot find it anywhere on-line for sale sad.gif