Anyone Watch Hliia?

afansince74

HS007's avatar has inspired me to start a "Who's Line Is It Anyway" thread! Anybody watch it? Either the original British version with Clive Anderson, or the newer American version with Drew Carey? Which do you like better? Who are your favorites, and why?

Personally, I miss Tony Slattery(spelling?) from the US shows.

the US version sucks compared to the BBC version. There's a wit in the britsh version that doesn't translate into the US version (even though the best actors on it were americans).

Drew carey's humor feels too forced.

ah! i'm good for something wink.gif

i don't remember any of their names..but i don't miss RYAN!! why? because he's been there through thick n thin!! but i really did enjoy watching the oldies..they've got a risque (did i spell that right?) sense of humor that the others just don't get. the newer ones seemed more scripted, too!! true true, drew carrey is pretty funny, but he seems like he comes right off the paper that's sittin in front of him. sigh. but i still love em!! biggrin.gif

btw..GREAT posting!! tongue.gif

I try not to miss any of these! I saw broadcasts of the British versions on Comedy Central back around '96... maybe?... anyway, I recorded a bunch of seasons worth. I've watched most all of the US shows, and hey, where's Green Screen? Is it coming back? confused13.gif

Anyway, I think I like the British better, but I like the US almost as much! Agreed about the british humor, no doubts about my affection for the brits when it comes to comedy! But Colin and Ryan are crossovers, as are several others, at least in a guest capacity on both. I do miss alot of the 'players' from the Brit version, like Josie Lawrance(sp?), Mike McShane, and the aformentioned Tony Slattery. I also miss some of the games, which are raely played on the US shows, like "helping hand" and "the world's worst" step.

I think I like Chip Eston(sp?) and Brad Sherwood best as the "fourth chair" in the US show, but I wouldn't mind seeing a 6 person version either. smile.gif

omg i haven't gotten to see ANY of the Green Screen shows!! were they good? i haven't heard anything about them since they said they'd have it.

the british version isn't on much anymore..i haven't seen many of those episodes, but i've seen enough to know who all but Tony Slattery is..would you mind filling me in? tongue.gif i agree, i love Josie & Mike made me laugh soooo hard!! i miss Karen..the little asian girl? she was hilarious!! there's supposed to be never-before-seen episodes on every monday night at 8 on abc family..so hopefully i'll be tuning in to that next monday wink.gif

i think Brad's prob my fave 'extra'. he cracks me up!! tongue.gif

Loved the UK version, particularly the early stuff with John Sessions. And once in a while Stephen Fry and Jonathan Pryce would put in an appearance. And I loved Josie.

I'd have to say I preferred the UK version. Clive was a better host, he had a droll, subtle sense of humor and a line for just about everything. Drew is funny, but when he would become part of the improv it didn't seem to work. Also, the US version tended to be a boy's club. In the UK you saw Josie and other women on all the time. It wasn't always like that in the US - because you had three mainstays (Wayne, Ryan, and Colin) whereas the UK version rotated the players more often.

QUOTE (happysmiles007 @ Feb 2 2005, 12:36 PM)
omg i haven't gotten to see ANY of the Green Screen shows!!  were they good?  i haven't heard anything about them since they said they'd have it.

the british version isn't on much anymore..i haven't seen many of those episodes, but i've seen enough to know who all but Tony Slattery is..would you mind filling me in?  tongue.gif  i agree, i love Josie & Mike made me laugh soooo hard!!  i miss Karen..the little asian girl?  she was hilarious!!  there's supposed to be never-before-seen episodes on every monday night at 8 on abc family..so hopefully i'll be tuning in to that next monday  wink.gif

i think Brad's prob my fave 'extra'.  he cracks me up!!  tongue.gif

Oh yea... love the Green Screen... it's all the improv, but with post-show animation added in, based on the improv... I love it! If it's back on this season you have to check it out! yes.gif

I don't ever see the British version anymore. Too bad too! sad.gif Tony was kind of the "Benny Hill" of the British version. Some thought his improv style was too risque for US audiences though, so I doubt we'll see him, but he's one of the best ever. Oh yea, and Karen! She is hilarious!

On ABC Family it's Tues-Sun at 10pm, but Monday's it's 8-10pm (4 back-to-back episodes). The 3rd one is the "new" episode we've never seen, from previous years. Great, as always!

And I kind of lean towards Brad as my favorite "extra" too, and although he's good too, when Chip is paired with Wayne doing anything musical, he gets my vote, hands down!

QUOTE (Sodoff Baldrick @ Feb 2 2005, 12:39 PM)
Loved the UK version, particularly the early stuff with John Sessions. And once in a while Stephen Fry and Jonathan Pryce would put in an appearance. And I loved Josie.

I'd have to say I preferred the UK version. Clive was a better host, he had a droll, subtle sense of humor and a line for just about everything. Drew is funny, but when he would become part of the improv it didn't seem to work. Also, the US version tended to be a boy's club. In the UK you saw Josie and other women on all the time. It wasn't always like that in the US - because you had three mainstays (Wayne, Ryan, and Colin) whereas the UK version rotated the players more often.

I agree... Drew should just stay behind the desk!

The whole women/men and rotating players thing got me thinking, and I did a little research and here's what I came up with (not including hosts and musicians):

Total Number of Men ever on the UK version, from '88-'98:

Total Number of Women ever on the UK version, from '88-'98:

11 (88 total apearances by women)

Total Number of Men ever on the US version, from '98-'04:

Total Number of Women ever on the US version, from '98-'04:

6 (46 total apearances by women)

FYI wacko.gif laugh.gif

Wliia is one of the few shows I watch (or have time to watch...) wink.gif

Recently I saw Brad and Colin at an auditorium in Springfield, Ohio. I nearly cried with laughter Anyone who can play a game involving wearing pink bunny slippers, a see-through speedo, and Janet Jackson's tear-away bustier while stealing the olives out of a pimento, tipping a cow and satisfying a buffalo in Chillicothe (Ohio) at Roger's tar pits and penguin warehouse is okay with me....

Brad went to college about half an hour from here, so he kept slipping in local mentions, like being drunk at Young's Dairy and attending the Fall-o-rama at Fairborn...

At the end, the guys played the Alphabet game while being blindfolded and wandering among 100 mouse traps.... they kept trying to throw them on each other....painfully funny....

ah, i'd love to see them live. i hope they continue Green Screen..i'd love to go!! do they allow signs? i don't think they do, but i could fold it up.. wink.gif

true, Chip's absolutely hilarious when he's with Wayne, but when he does his own work, it's not as funny. i love Wayne's voice..i can't believe he never tried to make a career in music! with his personality, he prob could've swung it.

i'd have to say, Colin is probably the funniest on there though, of the regulars. he's always perfectly timed & just has that face..!! but Ryan makes me laugh so hard!! biggrin.gif i love him to death & there could never be another!! tongue.gif

I'd have to say that Colin is my fav too! But it's like trying to pick my favorite Rush song! wacko.gif They're all so good. But Colin is sooo consistantly funny, and good at the games. When he and Ryan do "helping hands"... OMG, he's so talented... what a team they make, Colin and Ryan, and when they are 'pitch men' selling the "latest compilation album"... it doesn't get much better than that! "That's right folks, 50 songs on 50 cds..." rofl3.gif

whoa now! i didn't say he was my favorite!! tongue.gif of course, RYAN LEE STILES is the absolute most gorgeous man EVER.. biggrin.gif

but yes, ohhhh yes!! i love it when they're paired together..ESP on the compilation cd game..ahh!! 'SLEEP!!' i could die laughing!! esp since Wayne sings the songs they promote!! soooo funny!! laugh.gif

FYI, got a sample DVD with my Night Court first season set, of two shows - Perfect Strangers (which is good; if hubby ticks me off I can tie him to a chair and force him to watch it over and over) and Whose Line Is It Anyway! So I guess it will be out on DVD eventually.

Anyone know if the UK Whose Line will be on DVD?

QUOTE (happysmiles007 @ Feb 19 2005, 08:40 PM)
Colin's getting his own show..

Getting Along Famously

it looks pretty good..& if i know Colin..  wink.gif  biggrin.gif  laugh.gif

SM, the site won't load but..idk if it was that one, but i took a quiz one time that told me i was Colin!!

Wow... I had no idea... thanks HS007! applaudit.gif

Unfortunately, it's in Canada only! sad.gif I found this on it too:

CBC has ordered 6 episodes to start. The show will not be shooting just yet - they'll only be making plans to shoot once they have everything officially in place, and that will not be til Mid-May.

Now my only hope is green screen, and here's the latest on that...

...from executive producer Ron Diamond (just quoting the relevant parts):

The WB is waiting to see how their season shapes up. If you follow the

ratings, you'll see that things are tough over at the WB. Unfortunately,

Drew Carey's Green Screen Show is not a big priority there right now. There

is no word if or when they'll bring back the show. I may be in denial, but

no one at the network had used the "C" word to me. So I remain optimistic

that something could still happen.

There's interest at Comedy Central in the show but I don't know the status

of a deal and due to limited programming time slots, we're waiting to see if

anything could come about for the springtime.

QUOTE (afansince74 @ Feb 20 2005, 06:05 PM)
Wow... I had no idea... thanks HS007! applaudit.gif
Unfortunately, it's in Canada only! sad.gif I found this on it too:
CBC has ordered 6 episodes to start. The show will not be shooting just yet - they'll only be making plans to shoot once they have everything officially in place, and that will not be til Mid-May.

MAN!! sucks it's only in canada.. mad.gif

who knows, comedy central's prob not on a tight budget, since they've been carrying all the blue collar material. maybe they could afford to have one show that's not a big moneymaker..i would die if i don't ever see green screen!! ohmy.gif