Kentucky Derby ends sadly

Arndrake

Big Brown, the favorite, even though he had to start from the 20th post, was able to win the Derby. He ran great and accelerated out of the final turn. He could be the next Triple Crown winner, but we'll have to see how he handles the Preakness. I have a feeling he may have no trouble in the Belmont.

Sadly, the #2 finisher, Eight Belles, had an accident after the finish and broke both her front legs. She had to be euthanized on the track. She had such a great chance of winning and obviously ran a great race herself to finish 2nd.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ May 3 2008, 11:39 PM)
Imagine if they did that to Joe Theisman.. smile.gif

Joe WAS put down...by Lawrence Taylor! You think he and Leonard Marshall had this convo after that tackle?

LT: I think I broke his f**kin' leg!

Marshall: I think he broke his f**kin' leg!

Team doctor: Get the ambulance! I think he broke his f**kin' leg.

LT: See! I told you I broke his f**kin' leg!

Anyway, sad that they had to put the horse down, and right there on the track. What is the preferred method of euthanizing a horse nowadays? Injection?

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 3 2008, 09:34 PM)
What is the preferred method of euthanizing a horse nowadays? Injection?

I think so. I think it is a similar formula used for most animals.

My ex wife had to have her dog put down last month. She said the injection consisted of the same chemical used for general anesthesia, but in a stronger dose, which suggests it is a really strong sedative. That way the animal goes to sleep, feels no pain, and their heart and brain shut down.

I'm sure for a horse, it would be a very strong dose.

btw, regarding the Theisman injury, the scene I will always remember after LT made the tackle was that he was immediately up and signalling for the medics to get in there. He knew he had hurt Joe horribly.

QUOTE (Arndrake @ May 4 2008, 02:21 AM)
btw, regarding the Theisman injury, the scene I will always remember after LT made the tackle was that he was immediately up and signalling for the medics to get in there. He knew he had hurt Joe horribly.

yes.gif same here.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 3 2008, 11:34 PM)

Joe WAS put down...by Lawrence Taylor! You think he and Leonard Marshall had this convo after that tackle?

Anyway, sad that they had to put the horse down, and right there on the track. What is the preferred method of euthanizing a horse nowadays? Injection?

trink39.gif The Longest Yard laugh.gif

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ May 4 2008, 02:34 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 3 2008, 11:34 PM)

trink39.gif The Longest Yard laugh.gif

yes.gif laugh.gif trink39.gif

Archived