Internet Browser and Memory Usage

deadwing2112

I used to use Internet Explorer but now I use Firefox and enjoy it a lot more. I removed IE from my computer but it still is around. On Windows Task Manager it uses up tons of my memory and slow's the comp down a lot. Anyone know how I get rid of it for good?

QUOTE (rushringleader @ May 2 2008, 10:12 PM)
Some of the things in Windows can only open in IE so yeah.

How so? You just have to change the default browser to Firefox (or whatever you use), and then IE won't launch unless you speciafically launch it..........

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 2 2008, 10:16 PM)

How so? You just have to change the default browser to Firefox (or whatever you use), and then IE won't launch unless you speciafically launch it..........

I believe it is my default. But I successfully deleted it but it keeps coming back.

QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ May 2 2008, 10:19 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 2 2008, 10:16 PM)

I believe it is my default. But I successfully deleted it but it keeps coming back.

Well, maybe Launch can help out here........not sure...........

Hi,

I feel theres a few warning signs here to be heeded.

There's an iexplore.exe process on your task manager when it's not being used.

Other than the aforementioned reason why it would be used and remain as far as I can recall I don't think there's any reason why it should launch itself other than for web surfing.

To me, the fact that it does this and coupled with the other fact that it's taking up copious amounts of RAM and CPU time would suggest to me that you need to look into anti-virus/spyware/adware solutions just to check it isn't that.

As for removing iexplore.exe itself, I don't think you can as Windows will just replace it as soon as it's gone. It's probably part of the licence agreement and they also can't take away your right to update your software as that'd probably be illegal on their part. Last time I checked Firefox didn't work with Windows Update as it specifically requested the IE browser.

Completely removing IE would be impossible (or along those lines, though i'm not just referring to the exe) anyway, as it would cause stability issues for your PC as I believe some of the functions do use IE libraries, for example, Outlook. You'll never be completely free of IE as long as your on a Windows computer, that's for sure. However, using these programs does not initiate the use of the iexplore.exe file, just libraries associated to it.

It's very possible that your iexplore.exe is unfortunately a virus masquerading as a "friendly file".

Anyway, I'd see what you come up with my suggestion and then if that doesn't work I'll have to go away and search my head a bit more.

You Cannot remove IE from your windows computer...period! It is actually part of the operating system. If you upgraded from IE6 to IE7 then IE7 can be uninstalled but that doesn't fix anything.

Windows uses many parts of IE to run local programs and without it, windows will not run correctly, if at all.

There are a lot of hacks you can attempt that will sort of "free-up" the space, memory and processor power that IE uses but these are mosty registry hacks and I will not post this stuff on this forum. You could end up with a non-bootable computer.

The bottom line is windows uses IE to operate correctly and it cannot be removed. There aren't any user tools to do anything about this. Sorry.

You can always install more RAM, or upgrade your CPU !! cool.gif

You can start up the Internet Explorer browser and under the file menu click on "work offline." That way Internet Explorer hopefully won't start itself up. As has already been suggested, you should run a virus/spyware scan as there is most likely some sort of adware that's launching IE. If you have it set to work offline however, the adware can't launch IE.

There's no reason IE should ever use more system resources than Firefaux.

Are you seeing "explorer.exe" running, or "iexplore.exe"? Because Internet Explorer is "iexplore.exe" and Windows Explorer is just "explorer.exe". Windows explorer being an essential part of the user interface in windows.

QUOTE (KenJennings @ May 5 2008, 12:43 PM)

Are you seeing "explorer.exe" running, or "iexplore.exe"? Because Internet Explorer is "iexplore.exe" and Windows Explorer is just "explorer.exe". Windows explorer being an essential part of the user interface in windows.

Yeah, stopping the process of explorer.exe wouldn't be such a great idea.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ May 3 2008, 01:09 PM)
You Cannot remove IE from your windows computer...period! It is actually part of the operating system. If you upgraded from IE6 to IE7 then IE7 can be uninstalled but that doesn't fix anything.
Windows uses many parts of IE to run local programs and without it, windows will not run correctly, if at all.

The bottom line is windows uses IE to operate correctly and it cannot be removed. There aren't any user tools to do anything about this. Sorry.

Seems like a few of you didn't see launch's explanation about IE.

QUOTE (KenJennings @ May 5 2008, 12:43 PM)

If you have, let's say for instance........10 tabs open in IE, and 1 or 2 in FF..........then IE will be using more resources.........so that's not entirely true........

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 6 2008, 11:28 AM)
QUOTE (launchpad67a @ May 3 2008, 01:09 PM)

Seems like a few of you didn't see launch's explanation about IE.

Or mine tongue.gif

We may be talking about two different things here. "Explorer.exe" and "IExplore.exe" are two entirely different processes on Windows. The former is an integral part of the Operating System that is used as the operating system's main graphical user interface, needed for opening folders and 'exploring' content on your hard drive, the latter is a web brower application that doesn't need to run - and indeed shouldnt run - unless you specifically want it to. If the iexplore.exe process is running and taking up memory when you arent browsing the Internet, then something is running on your computer that launches IE or uses IE (certain Java applets for instance) and this can be remedied by not autostarting that application or removing it from the system startup.

So just to clarify - Internet Browser is not explorer.exe

If, however, the issue is that when you use IE to browse the Internet, it is a total memory hog, then yeah, upgrade RAM or use something else.

PTA

Does the McAfee package cover spyware and adware as well?

Even so I'd definitely be running another package/test on it just as a cross reference.. So using SpyBot S&D or adaware or maybe a free virus killer like Trend Micro House Call (Which you can do online). I tend to do this everytime I have a problem on any of my PCs here.

Yes, even though it's iexplore.exe if it's not in use it shouldn't be affecting you in anyway. I can't think of anything else that would open the process, because quite simply it only uses libraries linked to that. So the fact that the exe is open at all suggests to me that there is some underlying problem somewhere that isn't natural.

The only other thing I can think of that MIGHT be causing it...

If you play something like say.. Second Life .. or LOTRO.. Those types of games have iexplore.exe embedded into it.. So when you play the games and you open up an internet window the process will open, there's no way around that unfortunately. And as discussed previously getting rid of IE once and for all would do your installation of XP a lot of damage smile.gif.

Failing all this I would definitely update my XP.. Could be that you have neglected to do this and there is something nasty out there taking advantage of a security hole in IE sad.gif.

If there isn't a problem after all this, I would suggest that you get a hammer out, hit your PC and then upgrade it.

EDIT: Oh yes. Also since you are using XP... When iexplore.exe is running when you're using firefox or when you think it shouldn't be running, go into your command line (Start->All Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt) when you are there, type netstat -ab .. It should give a list of what programs are connected to what (It might take a little while to finish, so give it some time).. Paste it in here. Then we can then deduce what iexplore.exe is doing when it's open and whether this is some kind of natural thing you have installed or something sinister.

yes.gif No worries. We'll get there.

Archived