Mini-DVD coming soon

Jack Aubrey

Got this from The Digital Bits

Also today, The New York Times has published a short story on Hollywood's latest version of DVD... the mini-DVD. These are 3-inch versions of the regular DVD format, designed for greater portability. The idea is that kids can tote these things around as hand-held devices - like iPods or Gameboys - and watch their movies on the go. A number of studios are going to be releasing titles on mini-DVD, including Warner. Given that the display screens on these devices are much smaller, the digital video files will presumably be much more highly compressed - image quality will not be as good as regular DVDs. Recordable mini-DVD-Rs can also hold pictures and music files that these portable players will also be able to make use of. It's certainly an interesting idea, but I doubt it will make much of an impact ultimately. Gotta give the kids what they want, I guess. We'll see if they do, in fact, want it.

I wonder if Hollywood is perhaps partnering with Nintendo on this concept? If they are, it just may work. After all, the latest generation Nintendo gaming platform uses 3" proprietary discs. I would not be surprised if that was the case. The Nintendo console is also aimed more squarely at the pre-teen market. They could have a huge hit on their hands. Nintendo continues to innovate in unique ways that, at first, seem doomed to fail but they remain a major player. This is an interesting development, Jack, perhaps you could keep us posted.

That's very interesting, I don't know though. Personally, I have a problem when a manufacturer releases something that is "sub-standard" as compared to the current technology. A more compressed version of a movie? Why would I want that??!! I know, I know, it's the kids with the iPods that will, I know, but for me, it's like all you traders out there and your boots in lossless format, and now they want to sell you mp3s! Just my feeble attempt at an analogy! ohmy.gif But you get the idea. I felt the same way with the new "no return" rental discs, the ones that self-destruct in 48 hours after exposed to air. You're making something that destroys itself... something there that I don't like. But that's just me!

Anyway, keep us updated on that Jack, I'm always interested in stuff like this!