Rob Tapert on 'Evil Dead' remake

Jack Aubrey

I said it before and I'll say it again: we don't need an 'Evil Dead' remake, we need a sequel to 'Army Of Darkness'! I'm really tempted to boycott this movie when it's released.

Coming soon reports:

Rob Tapert, who runs Ghost House Pictures with "Spider-Man" franchise director Sam Raimi, talked to Sci Fi Wire about producing the upcoming remake of The Evil Dead, which original star Bruce Campbell will also produce.

Tapert said they're going to be careful. "I talk to Bruce Campbell every other day, and he says, 'You should see the message boards and all of the stuff I get saying "Please don't do it!"' So we're certainly going to have to tread carefully."

He added that "as long as we stay true to what was the original model of the first Evil Dead, which was that we want to hurt and punish the audience, then those who love it will be satisfied."

"We mean to bring that out to a whole new generation in something that honors all of the people that loved it and yet gives them a new and thrilling ride that they weren't expecting. That's the challenge, and hopefully if we succeed that's kind of the glory."

Raimi wrote, directed and produced the 1981 film, which tells the tale of a group of friends who go to a cabin in the woods, where they find an unspeakable evil lurking in the forest. One by one, the teens become deadly zombies. With only Ash (Campbell) remaining, it is up to him to survive the night and battle The Evil Dead.

Raimi will not direct the remake, so Ghost House is looking for a helmer to reinvent the franchise before a script is written.

The original film spawned sequels Evil Dead II and Army of Darkness.

Edited by Jack Aubrey