Seemingly Strange question...

GeminiRising79

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Apr 4 2008, 12:39 PM)
QUOTE (MacBob @ Apr 3 2008, 10:22 PM)
QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Apr 2 2008, 06:28 PM)
Since bisexuality was in vogue back when Rush was popular in the 70's, does anyone think that there were/was a sexual relationship between any of the boys? Alex sure looked like a fairy princess at some points along the way, as well as Geddy.  For the record, I am not gay nor do I have any homoerotic fantasies.  Please don't flame for this is a legitimate question. Thanks.

Ehh, what 70s was this? The 1870s? Outside of Bowie and the androgyny scene surrounding early glam bands I would hardly call it a trend. It doesn't really matter one way or the other, but having been there I would hardly call it some kind of fad that people jumped on. Sadly in most of North America any hint of being anything but straight would buy you a free ass kicking (at the minimum).

I'm going to have to agree, this might be the worst thread ever, but I'll still contribute because I am part of the problem on occasion.

Without even thinking about it I can name two artists who had their careers ended because the sexuality was questioned, Peter Frampton (for appearing with the BeeGees in the Sgt. Pepper movie) and Billy Squire (for frolicking in pink silk sheets in his Rock Me Tonight video). Rod Stewart's career took a nose dive after the legendary "stomach pumping" rumor and only made a come back as a crooner appealing to soccer moms and grandparents. Sadly I know a couple people who sold all their Queen and Judas Priest stuff when their respective front men came out as gay. There wasn't anywhere near the public tolerance for gay or bi-sexual behavior in the 70s that there is now. It is far from a perfect world, but there is a lot more tolerance, or at least a lot less overt hatred, than there was back in the 70s. This doesn't make it right, but it is the way it was.

Come to think of it, this question would stand up far better if we were talking about 80s pop with Boy George, that dude from Dead or Alive, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, the now out Michael Stipe, etc... There still wasn't a ton of tolerance, but androgyny and 80s pop go together like Bowie and Jagger...

The greater point to focus on, as a couple others in this thread have mentioned, is that it is an irrelevant question. I'm a fan of the music and don't much care what artist do in their personal lives. Deliver me good albums and solid live performances and I will pay you, contract fulfilled.

Interesting stuff. Elton was pretty flamboyant back in the 70's and destroyed everyone in terms of sales and popularity. There was no doubt he was a flamer.

Whether my question is relevant or not in the vast scheme of things, I couldn't care less. This thread reflects my personal question of interest. There are some people who will want to know which fingers/which hand/at what angle does geddy scratch his nutsack with, but that is their personal interest and I think its perfectly fine if someone wants to know. Screw what the consensus thinks.

Screw what the consensus thinks?

Other than the fact that repeated comments such as you are describing can be offensive and deemed as sexual harassment. It's very difficult to offend me, but others might be.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly in most of North America any hint of being anything but straight would buy you a free ass kicking (at the minimum).

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

I guess I grew up in much different world than many of you when you mention how Rush was for geeks, nerds or whatever else you could mention.

Where I went to school growing up in the early 80's, the guy doling out the free ass kicking would more likely than not have been wearing a black 2112 t-shirt!

Most Rush fans in my high school were definitely the black T-shirt, burnout brigade. I wasn't, and they were always shocked when they found out I liked Rush.

Then they'd ask me "What's this 'Caress of Steel' album you're talking about?"

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Apr 4 2008, 02:02 PM)
Since bisexuality was in vogue back when Rush was popular in the 70's, does anyone think that there were/was a sexual relationship between any of the boys? Alex sure looked like a fairy princess at some points along the way, as well as Geddy.  For the record, I am not gay nor do I have any homoerotic fantasies.  Please don't flame for this is a legitimate question. Thanks.

Ehh, what 70s was this? The 1870s? Outside of Bowie and the androgyny scene surrounding early glam bands I would hardly call it a trend. It doesn't really matter one way or the other, but having been there I would hardly call it some kind of fad that people jumped on. Sadly in most of North America any hint of being anything but straight would buy you a free ass kicking (at the minimum).

I'm going to have to agree, this might be the worst thread ever, but I'll still contribute because I am part of the problem on occasion.

Without even thinking about it I can name two artists who had their careers ended because the sexuality was questioned, Peter Frampton (for appearing with the BeeGees in the Sgt. Pepper movie) and Billy Squire (for frolicking in pink silk sheets in his Rock Me Tonight video). Rod Stewart's career took a nose dive after the legendary "stomach pumping" rumor and only made a come back as a crooner appealing to soccer moms and grandparents. Sadly I know a couple people who sold all their Queen and Judas Priest stuff when their respective front men came out as gay. There wasn't anywhere near the public tolerance for gay or bi-sexual behavior in the 70s that there is now. It is far from a perfect world, but there is a lot more tolerance, or at least a lot less overt hatred, than there was back in the 70s. This doesn't make it right, but it is the way it was.

Come to think of it, this question would stand up far better if we were talking about 80s pop with Boy George, that dude from Dead or Alive, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, the now out Michael Stipe, etc... There still wasn't a ton of tolerance, but androgyny and 80s pop go together like Bowie and Jagger...

The greater point to focus on, as a couple others in this thread have mentioned, is that it is an irrelevant question. I'm a fan of the music and don't much care what artist do in their personal lives. Deliver me good albums and solid live performances and I will pay you, contract fulfilled.

Interesting stuff. Elton was pretty flamboyant back in the 70's and destroyed everyone in terms of sales and popularity. There was no doubt he was a flamer.

Whether my question is relevant or not in the vast scheme of things, I couldn't care less. This thread reflects my personal question of interest. There are some people who will want to know which fingers/which hand/at what angle does geddy scratch his nutsack with, but that is their personal interest and I think its perfectly fine if someone wants to know. Screw what the consensus thinks.

Other than the fact that repeated comments such as you are describing can be offensive and deemed as sexual harassment. It's very difficult to offend me, but others might be.

Sexual harrassment? Where did you extract that figment?

Alex, Geddy and Neil as poo pirates?

Get the f*k outa here......

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Apr 4 2008, 04:57 PM)
Alex, Geddy and Neil as poo pirates?

Get the f*k outa here......

poo pirates rofl3.gif

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Apr 4 2008, 02:54 PM)
QUOTE (apetersvt @ Apr 4 2008, 02:02 PM)

I think he might be referring to what is quickly becoming your all too apparent homophobia.

This is the most irrelevant question every asked! angry.gif

To loosely quote Geddy Lee from an interview in the early 1980's (this one has always stuck with me):

"The whole point of this has always been the music, so let's put the emphasis on that. Who we hang out with, what we do after the show, what kind of hairstyles we have... it's just not important."

QUOTE (rushbass @ Apr 6 2008, 12:17 AM)

To loosely quote Geddy Lee from an interview in the early 1980's (this one has always stuck with me):

"The whole point of this has always been the music, so let's put the emphasis on that. Who we hang out with, what we do after the show, what kind of hairstyles we have... it's just not important."

Maybe to Geddy, Alex and Neil but yeah the fans do get curious especially when the band are so selective about what they let us know...

QUOTE (rushbass @ Apr 5 2008, 04:17 PM)

True but what Geddy fails to understand is that girls like to talk about hair. Even man hair. tongue.gif

You can talk about the music only for so long. Curiosity gets the better of a lot of us and with the advent of the computer and being online and having access to message boards and other fans... people start bringing things up about, well, everything.

Besides, I wonder if Geddy would feel different knowing that he has the Geddy Girls over there in the NWW forum saying the things they say. Would he be flattered? Offended? Would he not want girls gushing over him and instead talking about the music only?

QUOTE (Janie @ Apr 6 2008, 08:26 AM)
This is the most irrelevant question every asked!  angry.gif

"The whole point of this has always been the music, so let's put the emphasis on that.  Who we hang out with, what we do after the show, what kind of hairstyles we have... it's just not important."

True but what Geddy fails to understand is that girls like to talk about hair. Even man hair. tongue.gif

You can talk about the music only for so long. Curiosity gets the better of a lot of us and with the advent of the computer and being online and having access to message boards and other fans... people start bringing things up about, well, everything.

Besides, I wonder if Geddy would feel different knowing that he has the Geddy Girls over there in the NWW forum saying the things they say. Would he be flattered? Offended? Would he not want girls gushing over him and instead talking about the music only?

I dun think it would bother him. Everyone likes feeling that they are attractive and as you get older you start to wonder I guess. Those girls surely know how to stroke a guys ego.

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Apr 6 2008, 08:07 AM)

"The whole point of this has always been the music, so let's put the emphasis on that.  Who we hang out with, what we do after the show, what kind of hairstyles we have... it's just not important."

I dun think it would bother him. Everyone likes feeling that they are attractive and as you get older you start to wonder I guess. Those girls surely know how to stroke a guys ego.

I'd like to think it wouldn't bother him either (same goes for Neil and Alex). They play great music, loves me some Rush songs but come on, the guys are hot! Especially Alex. Am I right on this one YBT? wink.gif

QUOTE (Janie @ Apr 6 2008, 10:22 AM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Apr 6 2008, 08:07 AM)

I'd like to think it wouldn't bother him either (same goes for Neil and Alex). They play great music, loves me some Rush songs but come on, the guys are hot! Especially Alex. Am I right on this one YBT? wink.gif

Alex! drool1.gif drool1.gif wub.gif

tongue.gif wink.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (MacBob @ Apr 5 2008, 12:14 AM)
QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Apr 4 2008, 02:54 PM)

I think he might be referring to what is quickly becoming your all too apparent homophobia.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...&VideoID=309511

QUOTE (syrinxpriest 2112 @ Apr 6 2008, 11:01 AM)
http://www.udh-clan.de/downloads/Bilder/no%20dude,%20you%20are%20the%20homo.JPG

http://www.play4me.com.au/coverscan/765000/763392.jpg

tongue.gif

QUOTE (gleamingalloyaircar81 @ Apr 2 2008, 09:09 PM)
QUOTE (CarlosPerez @ Apr 2 2008, 07:39 PM)
Alex looks fairy sometimes, so I think yes it happen with him and different man.

Oh god, youre still here.

At least his English is better. http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u195/Number-4/Emoticons/HF%20Boards/shakeshead.gif

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Apr 7 2008, 05:03 PM)
QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Apr 7 2008, 04:22 PM)
BTW - Worst. Thread. Ever.

http://www.squishedfrog.com/images/comicbookguy.gif

How so? Because it doesn't fall within the norm of what the average Rush fan asks?

exactly. it shouldn't be something anyone asks. no.gif

We know which way Neils fence swings...He says so in Nobody's Hero.

"I went to his party as a straight minority". wink.gif

So, there you have it.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Apr 8 2008, 12:23 PM)
We know which way Neils fence swings...He says so in Nobody's Hero.

"I went to his party as a straight minority". wink.gif

So, there you have it.

Maybe he is reformed. A lot of people who did the bisexual thing in the drug-infested disco/glam age have reverted back to being straight. I know of many people who did this (and would NEVER admit to it). I am not speaking for myself since I was a kid during those times trink36.gif