Chuck Palahniuk

Cacophony

I vaguely searched this forum, and didn't see a thread devoted to him, so I thought that I'd start one.

Anyone read him? I think the man's a genius. I've read nearly everything he's written, except for "Fugitives and Refugees" which is annoyingly out of print.

I think it's sometime in August.

Choke used to be my least favorite novel by him, but it gets better each time I reread it. Survivor's my favorite, followed by Lullaby and Invisible Monsters.

Are you from the States? Rant = The Oral Biography of Buster Casey here. It's good, but it took me a bit to get used to the style of writing. I need to reread it, that actually might be the next book I read.

EDIT: Lol, I see you're from Canada. Funny, I spend a lot of time in Canada (I'm from NY) and I just realized that I've never set foot inside a bookstore there.

Edited by Cacophony

QUOTE (Cacophony @ Mar 18 2008, 07:24 PM)
I think it's sometime in August.

Choke used to be my least favorite novel by him, but it gets better each time I reread it. Survivor's my favorite, followed by Lullaby and Invisible Monsters.

Are you from the States? Rant = The Oral Biography of Buster Casey here. It's good, but it took me a bit to get used to the style of writing. I need to reread it, that actually might be the next book I read.

EDIT: Lol, I see you're from Canada. Funny, I spend a lot of time in Canada (I'm from NY) and I just realized that I've never set foot inside a bookstore there.

Yep Canadian here biggrin.gif

We have tons of bookstores here with Chapters being the major nation-wide chain (Much like Barnes and Noble down there)

I've just barely started Rant...a few pages in actually. I'm trying to finish this other HUGE monstrous book before I totally devour this one (Reclaiming History by Vince Bugiosi..1600 pages!)

That's probably quite a task.

I read non-stop, so I often run out of books.

Any suggestions as to an author similar to Palahniuk? I like Selby, Welsh, Keesey, and many others. I end up reading many of my books over and over just because I love them so much laugh.gif

QUOTE (Cacophony @ Mar 18 2008, 07:38 PM)
That's probably quite a task.

I read non-stop, so I often run out of books.

Any suggestions as to an author similar to Palahniuk? I like Selby, Welsh, Keesey, and many others. I end up reading many of my books over and over just because I love them so much laugh.gif

Well I just got about 600 pages to go laugh.gif wink.gif

to be honest I haven't been reading a whole lot of fiction lately so I can't really recommend any similiar authors right now...in the same boat as you are really smile.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Mar 18 2008, 11:03 PM)
QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Mar 18 2008, 09:54 PM)
Fight Club is the shit, haven't read anything else by him yet.

They're just as f*cked up and entertaining as Fight Club dude yes.gif

I just put Rant and Haunted on hold at the library smile.gif

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Mar 19 2008, 06:23 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Mar 18 2008, 11:03 PM)
QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Mar 18 2008, 09:54 PM)
Fight Club is the shit, haven't read anything else by him yet.

They're just as f*cked up and entertaining as Fight Club dude yes.gif

I just put Rant and Haunted on hold at the library smile.gif

Nice!

Haunted is very f*cked up laugh.gif FYI there is a major plot or story but it is told through a collection of short stories that are related to the main plot...or something like that laugh.gif

edited to say make sure you check out Choke if you get the chance yes.gif

Edited by Test4VitalSigns

I wish I could see Mustard's face when he reads the first story in Haunted. laugh.gif

Snuff's coming out in a few months, then his next book after that sounds even more amazing:

I've just finished the first draft of a novel called "Pygmy," a dark comedy about terrorism and racism. The lead character is a 13-year-old foreign exchange student sent to live with a suburban, white, middle-class family. Oh, and they're Christians. The visit is for six months, and he's one of a dozen similar kids, all shipped to America to live with typical families.

The secret truth is that Pygmy is a terrorist, trained since infancy in martial arts, chemistry and radical hatred of the United States. He has six months to build a prize-winning project for the National Science Fair. If he succeeds, he and his project will go to Washington, D.C. for the finals competition -- where the project will explode, killing millions.

So far, Gerry Howard says it's the best book I've done. Fingers crossed for luck.

Can't wait!

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Mar 21 2008, 07:19 PM)
I wish I could see Mustard's face when he reads the first story in Haunted. laugh.gif

Snuff's coming out in a few months, then his next book after that sounds even more amazing:

I've just finished the first draft of a novel called "Pygmy," a dark comedy about terrorism and racism. The lead character is a 13-year-old foreign exchange student sent to live with a suburban, white, middle-class family. Oh, and they're Christians. The visit is for six months, and he's one of a dozen similar kids, all shipped to America to live with typical families.

The secret truth is that Pygmy is a terrorist, trained since infancy in martial arts, chemistry and radical hatred of the United States. He has six months to build a prize-winning project for the National Science Fair. If he succeeds, he and his project will go to Washington, D.C. for the finals competition -- where the project will explode, killing millions.

So far, Gerry Howard says it's the best book I've done. Fingers crossed for luck.

Can't wait!

Wow that sounds like a pretty wild story! ohmy.gif

I borrowed Invisible Monsters from someone and am reading that now... I also have copies of Haunted and Rant from the library, will start on those next.

And SS... does the story you mentioned involve... carrots? laugh.gif I've read it. I was in a group of people though, and I'm pretty sure my face didn't quite compare with some of the others haha.

HOLY F*CKING SHIT!

Okay, so I had only read about half of "Guts" (the first story in "Haunted) back in the day. I had only reached the wax part.

I just read it all the way through.

That was f***ing unholy. I was shuddering all night. And yeah, you wish you could've seen my face.