The Body Electric

Alsgalpal

I liked the song upon first listen. I got Grace Under Pressure before any of the videos were played on MTV. I was never really happy with Grace Under Pressure, but Body Electric was and still is one of my fave tunes from the album. I believe the video premiered in July 1984. That was when I first saw it.

QUOTE (Alsgalpal @ Jan 13 2005, 01:01 AM)
Ok, new song for the day, even tho its not a new day here yet, it is for you easterners. tongue.gif

I love the bow bow on the bass, so sharp and crisp, and the chang on Alex's guitar, so airy anc clean. and the drums, well, they just rock. I love the whole song. biggrin.gif I think I May just rock out to it now, always a 2.gif time! laugh.gif

Could not agree more. Great song and cd. 2.gif

OUCH! is my first impression of comments read here in regards to TBE. However, I must mostly agree. I have always found the song somewhat simple and uninspiring - like it was a filler track! Anyway, I had to laugh at the comment that TBE and that CD signalled a return to progressive sound. HA! Not to be rude, but GUP and PW neither one inspired me in the least ( contain some individual good tunes, yes)

Maybe it's my age, I dunno.......

653.gif 653.gif 653.gif 653.gif 653.gif 653.gif 653.gif 653.gif 653.gif 653.gif 653.gif 653.gif

QUOTE (bytorcygnus @ Jan 18 2005, 08:07 PM)
OUCH! is my first impression of comments read here in regards to TBE. However, I must mostly agree. I have always found the song somewhat simple and uninspiring - like it was a filler track! Anyway, I had to laugh at the comment that TBE and that CD signalled a return to progressive sound. HA! Not to be rude, but GUP and PW neither one inspired me in the least ( contain some individual good tunes, yes)

Maybe it's my age, I dunno.......

653.gif 653.gif 653.gif 653.gif 653.gif 653.gif 653.gif 653.gif 653.gif 653.gif 653.gif 653.gif

I think maybe they mean return to progressive because the lyrics were about androids confused13.gif Anyway, most of P/G I am a big fan of, this era in thier songwriting, including the addition of the synth in the forefront really peak my interest. I always loved the bass part during the verses too, definatly a lot of fun to play and listen to. While I dont think TBE is necisserily filler, I dont think it was meant to be a great hit either. I still like it though.

Guest NoDeity

QUOTE (Batman @ Jan 14 2005, 07:15 PM)
Seems to be inspired by Isacic Asimov

I assumed that the title was probably taken from the Ray Bradbury short story, "I Sing the Body Electric". I looked it up in the "Words & Music" section of Robert Telleria's Rush Tribute: Merely Players and found this:

"The Body Electric"  [Walt] Whitman wrote the original poem "I Sing The Body Electric."  In binary digits 1001001 is equivalent to the 73 decimal and that is the ASCII equal to the letter "I"

In the Ayn Rand novel Anthem, the word "I" was banned. So, it's apparently got something to do with a runaway android struggling for individual identity.

It's been too long since I read the Bradbury story so I can't say whether the song and the story have much in common besides the title.

According to the book, Peart's comment on the song was this: "The Body Electric is a little piece of science fiction frippery..."

Archived