How to get Alex's sound

giantsv

First let me say I listened to Cyg's renditions of Jacob's Ladder and it was great trink39.gif

Here is what i have and it is all cheap stuff,

Tone Works AX 100G signal Proccesor

Ibanez distortion

Ibanez chourus/ flange

Ibanez tube screamer

Marshall MG 15amp

Ibanez GAX 50

Squier Strat

Peavey acoustic

Fender Acoustic/Electric ( not cheap)

How do i get the sound of Alex, I'm really just a beginner and it is easier for me to play when i sound close to what I'm playing..

Thanks,

giantsv

Checking out the AX 100G site it seems like it has a lot of tone capabilities.

Disclaimer: I don't know how close you can get because a multi effects unit, while semi powerful, cannot really reproduce the sound of a chain of several high end effect units and multiple amplifiers.

That said, try the "Brit Stack" amp model (assuming this is based on a Marshall, for the more "classic" tone from the late 70's - early 80's), with a chorus, set the pedal to Wah or Volume (depending), with a delay (double tap or more if possible, according to song and tempo), and a 2x12 or 4x12 cabinet model. This is awfully generic and all effects will need to be adjusted to taste. But not having heard the unit I am judging from the specs available from Korg. Listen to the song you are trying to emulate and play with the settings for each effect.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

I know from some of his equipment listings in the tourbooks that he uses an MXR distortion + pedal. I actually bought one and was able to get some of his tones by messing with my amp's tone controls for bass, mids, and treble. If you don't have or don't want to invest in an MXR dist. + pedal, try using some heavy gain and distortion and boost the mids on your amps equalizer knobs. This seems to work satisfactorily too.

I have my 2 Gibson SG's that I play through a Marshall MG15. When I have the chourus effect on, I can get kind of close to his sound, in comparison to Xanadu from Exit.... Stage Left. I never realized that Alex played his SG doubleneck on that song, until I saw a version of the Stage Left video, which sadly remains unreleased(I'm fortunate to actually have that entire performance). So I guess that works out good for me to capture that particular Alex sound.

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Jan 24 2005, 08:58 PM)
Easy way to get Al's sound

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v428/snowdog2004/Alex-Lifesone-TriAmp-lg.jpg

alex has a signature amp? why didnt i know about this? tongue.gif

how much do you think one of those would cost? laugh.gif

i get pretty close to his sound, mainly from power windows and up.

i use the pick up switch one level up from the furthest down, and i use a jazz amp model with tube screamer and some chorus and delay. its all in the line 6 podxt live. smile.gif i can play a mean manhattan project and mystic rhythms with that set up as well as the beginning parts of Far Cry

QUOTE (between sun and moon @ Jan 25 2005, 02:58 PM)
QUOTE (Snowdog @ Jan 24 2005, 08:58 PM)
Easy way to get Al's sound

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v428/snowdog2004/Alex-Lifesone-TriAmp-lg.jpg

alex has a signature amp? why didnt i know about this? tongue.gif

how much do you think one of those would cost? laugh.gif

$3500.00

The Alex sound is all about tubes (or a good simulator) IMO. I prefer tubes but just listen to the guys that are in the tribute bands who get that sound without tubes. These guys sound awesome.

Use more power amp gain then pre amp gain, chorus and your guitars volume knob. Also, a good delay.

Edited by rushfanNlv

QUOTE (redstar86 @ Jan 11 2005, 04:20 PM)
try using some heavy gain and distortion and boost the mids on your amps equalizer knobs. This seems to work satisfactorily too.

Alex never uses a lot of heavy gain. Listen closely to the rhythm guitars in say, Freewill or The Spirit of Radio and you'll see.

He used more gain on the first album than anything else until they recorded Counterparts.

Most of early Rush was done with a 100W Marshall Plexi. If you have a modeler that can get close it's a good starting point. Try to keep the gain around 3 or 4. For rhythm parts. roll the guitars volume knob down a bit. Alex uses the guitar controls quite a bit.

Keep the mids up, the bass around 7 or 8, the treble about the same, and the presence around halfway.

This is going to vary depending on gear but it's a good starting point.

For effects, a good chorus is a must. It's the main ingredient to his tone from AFTK and on. Try to use a low output PAF style humbucker in your guitar also.

One note, if you nail his tone it may not sound right to you when playing alone. It's kind of nasally actually but when playing with bass & drums it fits perfectly in the mix.

Here's a recording of The Spirit of Radio that I'm working on. I still think I have too much gain but the tone is close. It still needs a high mid eq tweak but it's getting there.

The guitar is an Epiphone Sheraton II (335 style) with Seymour Duncan Seth Lover (very low output) pickups on everything except the solo. The solo was done with a Fender Strat with a Floyd and a Dimarzio Breed humbucker.

http://www.rogepost.com/n/5013681836

QUOTE (_pete_ @ Mar 23 2007, 10:46 AM)
One note, if you nail his tone it may not sound right to you when playing alone. It's kind of nasally actually but when playing with bass & drums it fits perfectly in the mix.

This is so true. I always loved the live GUP tone so that is what I work at getting. I get very, very close in my opinion and it sounds twangy as hell when played alone.

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Mar 23 2007, 12:42 PM)
QUOTE (_pete_ @ Mar 23 2007, 10:46 AM)

This is so true. I always loved the live GUP tone so that is what I work at getting. I get very, very close in my opinion and it sounds twangy as hell when played alone.

I like that tone too. Kinda "spongy" sounding. His tone on the Power Windows tour was very similar. "Witch Hunt" on ASOH was recorded during that tour, and I love his tone on that.

Wow I forgot all about this thread...lol Well since then I got rid of the little Marshall and replaced it with a Line 6 spider II, Got rid of the Toneworks also. I added a Dunlop Crybaby Wah. I can get close enough using the distortion on the amp with the Chorus and wah pedal.

I still need lots and lots of practice though...lol 1022.gif