Stockholm reviews?

Xanadu2112

Been listening to Rush since about 1980 but this was my first live performance. Spent many hours listening to Exit - Stage Left when I studied abroad in 83-84 as well as during the weeks leading up to last night's concert in Stockholm, and as a former drummer and guitar player I know just about every beat and lick from that album. In Stockholm the guys were amazingly, astoundingly true to their sound from decades past. The mirror tells us that we have all aged since then, but the ears betray nothing when it comes to these three.

Geddy's vocals were a tad warbly (even for him) during the first song or two, but stabilized nicely once he got warmed up. I expected trouble with some of the high waily stuff this late in the tour, but he delivered nicely all the way to the end, with nothing more than the minor differences that one expects from live v. studio work.

Musically the trio's virtuosity is just breathtaking in person. How three people can do everything necessary (even with sampling and such) to bring all of those different instruments and sounds to bear in a live environment is beyond me. Such a refreshing change from the commercially successful pretty boys and girls who can't even deliver vocals live, let alone play a single instrument.

Sound-wise the Globe arena is notoriously challenging. Our seats were about 10 rows up, center ice, right side. I didn't wander during the concert so I don't know if we were in some acoustic bad spot, but I thought that the bass pedals and keyboards completely overpowered the bass guitar, and that the bass drum was also dialed high enough to detract from Geddy's fretwork.

The light show was very nice, and the pyrotechnics seemed to go off as planned, with the fire-breathing dragon at the end being a particularly well-done and humorous touch. Nice to see performers comfortable enough with themselves to employ a bit of humor. Bob and Doug and the South Park gang were fun little tidbits. I've figured out the chickens, but what is the story behind the dinos behind Alex and the Barbies up front? I think he had more dolls in his front row than there were females in the entire arena!

Very pleased with their choice and performance of the older material, and I found their new material to be fresh and interesting as well. If only all of us could age this gracefully...

wink.gif

Well I was at the Stockholm gig and I must say that it was so awesome! I saw them on the R30 and this time it was just as good if not better.

The thing that surprised me in a good way was that Geddy could hit all the high notes on the older songs! And he looked so happy and jumped a couple of times and had large smiles on his face. Alex playing was flawless and he looked like to be in good spirits. Neil was.. well Neil is Neil smile.gif Not a man of many faces but he made no mistake in the songs and the drum solo was excellent as usual.

There were maybe 10.000 people attending the concert and the crowd was really into it. It was a good spread of young, and old people, women and men. The lady beside me was in her 50's and had been a fan for 30 years!

The video montages were hilarious and who can not love the scene before Tom Sawyer wink.gif?

The song that got the best reception from the crowd was surprisingly Subdivisions! I never knew that the Swedish crowd loved it that much!

The newspapers praised the concert and everyone I went with were all happy and satisfied. The concert was a bit short though wink.gif

All in all I had a wonderful time and I hope that I will be able to seem them one more time before they decide to not tour anymore!

Long live the mighty Rush!

It was the second show I been to, and it was amazing, all the new songs went on really well but the great roar came with subdivisions and distant early warning, the light and laser was like something from starwars , also fun to see that Alex now has got back the play only Gibson, no PRS in sight. Did anyone notice the small stonhenge beside the keyboards? (spinal tap?) Natural Science was truly fantastic to hear,and it was really a surprise to see them perform Entre Nous.

Yes it was a great show and can maybe be the last time they play here

in Sweden sad.gif

I saw the R30 show in Stockholm, and that was by far the best concert I had ever been to, prior to Saturday night. Needless to say, my expectations were quite high, but as soon as the lights went down and the intro video started, I knew we were in for a good time.

When they kicked it off with Limelight, I felt it as if they were playing the song really slow compared to all the other releases I've heard. It wasn't necessarily a bad thing, just a little bit different. The light show was really cool. I especially liked the big lights that they lowered and raised during songs. They looked like big UFO:s coming down to earth smile.gif

Geddy's voice was really good I thought. In that really high part after the solo on Frewill, he nailed every note and got big cheers from the crowd. Another thing that I thought of was that the Swedish crowd seem to know the earliest stuff the best. When Geddy announced that they were going to play something from Hemispheres (Circumstances), the crowd responded with a big roar, but some of the later stuff (pretty much everything after MP) wasn't as well known, judging from the crowd's response.

My final thoughts is that the show itself was amazing, and the crowd was really into it. I only wish that there would have been more people there, the arena was far from sold out. The seats are also red so you can clearly make out the large empty areas of seats. I think they could have covered the empty spots with black sheets or somehing to make it look more like the same color as the rest of the arena. I hope the band wasn't too disappointed though and I really hope that they choose to come back to Sweden some day!

Well , probably the best concert I've ever been to!

Geddy looked really happy jumping around alot more than on the R30 gig here in Stockholm.He jumped away so far from the microphone on Tom Sawyer that he did'nt get back in time for the next song-part smile.gif one time. He did not seem to mind as there were no recording for dvd or anything this night (I think?). Alex was a bit concentrated or relaxed or something in the first set , but started to do his funny moves in the second set! Neil always sworn to the task with few or none expessions on his face , but with a number of moments when he looked angry ( in a positive way ) nailing every thing as a true master!! It was a powerful sound this night , even the Mission sounde like a hard rock tune! When they played the fast stuff i YYZ and others , poor old Globe Arena couldnt really give the boys the acoustic feedback fast enough so it got a little blury , but hell , most of the crowd know the songs so it did'nt matter!

A concert to remeber for a loooooong time!! 1022.gif

QUOTE (Luigi @ Oct 28 2007, 09:58 PM)
The song that got the best reception from the crowd was surprisingly Subdivisions!

Subdivisions has got a HUGE reaction every time I've seen them this tour. I like to think it's because Signals is finally getting the appreciation it so richly deserves, but part of me can't help thinking that some in the audience are just showing their relief after 5 S&A songs in a row eh.gif

QUOTE (willowroolz @ Oct 30 2007, 12:59 PM)
The song that got the best reception from the crowd was surprisingly Subdivisions!

Subdivisions has got a HUGE reaction every time I've seen them this tour. I like to think it's because Signals is finally getting the appreciation it so richly deserves, but part of me can't help thinking that some in the audience are just showing their relief after 5 S&A songs in a row eh.gif

I also noticed the huge reaction of the crowd during Subdivisions at the shows I've been to . Subdivisions definitely is my favorite Rush song. I grew up in something very similar to the suburbs, only not so big as in the US (Belgium is not that big), so the lyrics are very touching for me. I think a lot of fans can relate to the lyrics and thats why it gets such a huge reaction live. There's just something very special about that song... it's not just a song, it's an anthem!

I forgot to tell you how much I liked the new songs live , I think it became evident that they are really strong. Workin' them angels and the way the wind blows especially! I also liked the way they shut down the video screens from time to time so it was just the band and the crowd at moments. Less is more sometimes. And what else....yeah I really liked to feel the heat from the pyro flames! I sat 25 meters away perhaps....I wonder how hot it is for the band only 3-4 meters away from the fire!!

/ Snake

Rush rocked the deathstar!

cheer.gif 4th row tickets, 2nd Rush concert I have seen there with my daughter, could not have imagine it better than their last show - Pure joy driving home to Dalarna. Incredible YES YES YES

QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ Oct 30 2007, 12:44 PM)
QUOTE (willowroolz @ Oct 30 2007, 12:59 PM)

I also noticed the huge reaction of the crowd during Subdivisions at the shows I've been to . Subdivisions definitely is my favorite Rush song. I grew up in something very similar to the suburbs, only not so big as in the US (Belgium is not that big), so the lyrics are very touching for me. I think a lot of fans can relate to the lyrics and thats why it gets such a huge reaction live. There's just something very special about that song... it's not just a song, it's an anthem!

See my previous thread:

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=31756

Best sound of the Scandinavian gigs Lerxst's guitar was great, attendance was a disappointment, maybe 75% sold, what a lame-ass audience, I've never seen so many people sitting down in floor seast before, at least not until Helsinki. When Lerxst played Hope,just about everybody sat down, what gives people, it's not a classical recital.

Well I went nuts applaudit.gif

The "lady" next to me sat through the whole gig, she looked like she was in meditation, I guess she enjoyed it her way, she seemed very moved by the drum-solo.

My daughter is twenty-two and has grown up with RUSH but has discovered her own thrill, she was by far one of the youngest in our area, we had 4th row tickets and were surrounded by guys 40+ not exactly the sporting type ... people were great though and gave me more space to dance.

Archived