Across the universe

Tick

Yesterday, i saw went to the movies to see a very interesting movie. The movie is called, Across the universe and its about a group of young adults in the 60's during the Vietnam war. Most of the chacacters are naned from characters in Beatles songs. Its a two plus hour musical featuring the music of the Beatles in which the actors perform throughout the movie. There were a couple of suprises in the movie such as Bono and Joe Cocker who preform a couple of beatles classics. I would recomend this movie, it was very unique and original, also very powerfull at times.

more info

Edited by tick

hey tick!!

BEAT YA!!!!!!!!!

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=30916

nasty.gif

kishug.gif

i haven't seen it yet, but when i saw something about it on the Tv, it gave me goosebumps...

that is a good indicator to me that it's pretty good...

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Sep 27 2007, 05:13 PM)
hey tick!!
BEAT YA!!!!!!!!!

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=30916

nasty.gif

kishug.gif

i haven't seen it yet, but when i saw something about it on the Tv, it gave me goosebumps...
that is a good indicator to me that it's pretty good...

Well, i saw it first ! so nasty.gif

just kidding biggrin.gif hug2.gif You will like this movie, very cool. cool.gif

i haven't been out to the movies in quite some time, but this one i really do want to see on the big screen...

I went to see this the other night and I absolutely loved it. Best movie I've seen in awhile. It was even better than Transformers! biggrin.gif

But seriously, anyone one else gone out and caught this flick lately?

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 16 2007, 03:48 PM)
I absolutely cannot wait to see this movie, but it STILL hasn't come to my area yet. angry.gif

i haven't had the opportunity to see it yet goob... sad.gif

This movie is now available on dvd. I just watched it for the second time. I really love this movie.

Watched it yesterday.

Pretty cool movie. A little bit on the cheesy side but Beatley-cheesy if you know what I mean tongue.gif . At least not BAD cheesy like that Bee Gees Sgt. Pepper's mess. laugh.gif

spoilers....

Wow Evan Rachel Wood impressed me when she sang "If I Fell". Interesting rendition of "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" also by Prudence (the Asian girl).

The actors did a decent job of singing all around.

Lots of cool Beatles references through out the movie. (too many to list)

Loved that crazy dude running thru the street during Come Together sequence laugh.gif

What the hell were those blue things during the Benefit of Mr. Kite sequence???? unsure.gif laugh.gif wacko.gif

Mustard is right...without the songs the story would be pretty flat and nothing we haven't seen before. It's a musical more than a true movie anyways.

Edited by Test4VitalSigns

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Feb 11 2008, 09:41 AM)
Watched it yesterday.

Pretty cool movie.  A little bit on the cheesy side but Beatley-cheesy if you know what I mean tongue.gif .  At least not BAD cheesy like that Bee Gees Sgt. Pepper's mess.  laugh.gif

spoilers....

Mustard is right...without the songs the story would be pretty flat and nothing we haven't seen before.  It's a musical more than a true movie anyways.

I really thought the storyline was very cool, by including many of the relevant issues of the 60's such as specific events, riots, death of Martin Luthor King, the impact of the war, the draft etc. If the movie didn't focus on the reality of the times, and was solely based on working the Beatles music into a musical i would agree, but just the way the movie showed the depth of just how meaningfull the Beatles songs were, really made me look at there music as greater then i already thought it was. No movie is perfect, this one accomplished its goal very well.

Edited by tick

Across the Universe's snippets are so stupid that it made 1978's Sgt Pepper look like a masterpiece. The saving graces from Sgt Pepper were Alice Cooper's version of because, Earth Wind and Fire's funked up Got to Get You Into My Life and Aerosmith's Come Together. Peter Frampton did the movie due to insistence from manager Dee Anthony. He said the script was like a Monkees episode. Across the Universe is just pathetic and uninspired.

Then again, Tommy trumped either of those. Keith Moon as Uncle Ernie, priceless and Eric Clapton as The Preacher was superb.

I just saw Quadrophenia, great movie.

QUOTE (tick @ Feb 11 2008, 12:48 PM)
Watched it yesterday.

Pretty cool movie.  A little bit on the cheesy side but Beatley-cheesy if you know what I mean tongue.gif .  At least not BAD cheesy like that Bee Gees Sgt. Pepper's mess.  laugh.gif

spoilers....

Mustard is right...without the songs the story would be pretty flat and nothing we haven't seen before.  It's a musical more than a true movie anyways.

I really thought the storyline was very cool, by including many of the relevant issues of the 60's such as specific events, riots, death of Martin Luthor King, the impact of the war, the draft etc. If the movie didn't focus on the reality of the times, and was solely based on working the Beatles music into a musical i would agree, but just the way the movie showed the depth of just how meaningfull the Beatles songs were, really made me look at there music as greater then i already thought it was. No movie is perfect, this one accomplished its goal very well.

I totally agree it's a cool storyline. What I am saying is with the Beatles songs incorporated into the story it makes it fresher and, as you said, shows how the music really reflects the times. Without the songs it's just a movie that I've seen before. Remember that miniseries a few years back called "The 60's"? Without the music it kind of reminds me of that.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Feb 11 2008, 02:17 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Feb 11 2008, 12:48 PM)
Watched it yesterday.

spoilers....

I totally agree it's a cool storyline. What I am saying is with the Beatles songs incorporated into the story it makes it fresher and, as you said, shows how the music really reflects the times. Without the songs it's just a movie that I've seen before. Remember that miniseries a few years back called "The 60's"? Without the music it kind of reminds me of that.

Agreed, as i said, the movie really made me understand things lyrically about the Beatles songs i hadn't seen in the light they were presented. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Feb 10 2008, 01:00 PM)
It was a pretty cool movie, but I thought without the injection of Beatles tunes (i.e., just the storyline, characters, etc.), it would've been pretty run of the mill.

Umm, duh, its a musical featuring Beatles music, that was the premise. If you take out the Beatles music Mustard, it wouldn't be a movie musical based on the music of the Beatles. wacko.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Feb 12 2008, 01:27 PM)
Watched it a 2nd time and have to say I like it even more. Found more Beatles references this time around as well as even more interesting stuff in the story.

I've also just watched it for the second time, and I picked up a lot more of thr subtle references. This movie is brilliant.

QUOTE (tick @ Feb 11 2008, 07:45 PM)
QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Feb 10 2008, 01:00 PM)
It was a pretty cool movie, but I thought without the injection of Beatles tunes (i.e., just the storyline, characters, etc.), it would've been pretty run of the mill.

Umm, duh, its a musical featuring Beatles music, that was the premise. If you take out the Beatles music Mustard, it wouldn't be a movie musical based on the music of the Beatles. wacko.gif

Exactly, Tickster. Basically it's an empty, dry shell riding someone elses effort all the way to successville smile.gif

The only thing brilliant about it was the decision to use Beatles music.