help deciding

JoenataArctica

QUOTE (JoenataArctica @ Aug 17 2007, 07:55 PM)
QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Aug 16 2007, 06:45 PM)
QUOTE (hunter @ Aug 16 2007, 02:17 PM)
$780.00 Base price.  Just take a look.  Check out the guitar gallery for all the different options.  Les Pauls and PRSs are great  but for the money you can't go wrong.

http://www.carvin.com/products/guitar.php?ItemNumber=DC127http://www.carvinmuseum.com/isa/images/full/dc127m-tobaccoburst-100153.jpg

Carvin's are good guitars too....My ex-guitarist has one. Good tone. About as expensive as the cheaper Gibsons & PRS's

are they carvin models with a tremolo system. im probably heading to the guitar center next thursday and trying out the PRS and Les Paul to see which one has a better feel with what i like to play. i know PRS has a tremolo system, but i dont think LP's have one. we'll find out next thursday smile.gif

Yeah you can get a tremolo, Floyd Rose or Wilkenson. I had one with the Wilkenson, and in combination with the Schaller locking tuners it never went out of tune. I currently have the Floyd with no locking nut and the same holds true. They can cost as much as low end Gibsons or Fenders but IMHO play like or better than the high end ones. You can buy a used one ebay for about 5- 6 hundred but don't take my word for it. Check out the

http://www.carvinmuseum.com

and ask all the questions you want. I'm playing A DC 200 right now. You can here it here:

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=28716

Sorry for the shameless plug tongue.gif but just so you can hear it. The song was recorded with two different Carvin Electrics. Oh and you won't have to pay for a set-up because they come from factory ready to go. This is one like I plan to order when I save enough.

http://www.carvin.com/guitars-in-stock/big/86789b.jpg

Edited by hunter

QUOTE (JoenataArctica @ Aug 17 2007, 08:55 PM)
i know PRS has a tremolo system, but i dont think LP's have one. we'll find out next thursday smile.gif

No, Les Paul's don't come standard with a tremolo. You can get an aftermarket Bigsby or Khaler (sp?) bridge tremolo - my dad got a Bigsby style trem for his Les Paul - looks great, and sounds great biggrin.gif

QUOTE (hunter @ Aug 17 2007, 10:30 PM)
QUOTE (JoenataArctica @ Aug 17 2007, 07:55 PM)
QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Aug 16 2007, 06:45 PM)
QUOTE (hunter @ Aug 16 2007, 02:17 PM)
$780.00 Base price.  Just take a look.  Check out the guitar gallery for all the different options.  Les Pauls and PRSs are great  but for the money you can't go wrong.

http://www.carvin.com/products/guitar.php?ItemNumber=DC127http://www.carvinmuseum.com/isa/images/full/dc127m-tobaccoburst-100153.jpg

Carvin's are good guitars too....My ex-guitarist has one. Good tone. About as expensive as the cheaper Gibsons & PRS's

are they carvin models with a tremolo system. im probably heading to the guitar center next thursday and trying out the PRS and Les Paul to see which one has a better feel with what i like to play. i know PRS has a tremolo system, but i dont think LP's have one. we'll find out next thursday smile.gif

Yeah you can get a tremolo, Floyd Rose or Wilkenson. I had one with the Wilkenson, and in combination with the Schaller locking tuners it never went out of tune. I currently have the Floyd with no locking nut and the same holds true. They can cost as much as low end Gibsons or Fenders but IMHO play like or better than the high end ones. You can buy a used one ebay for about 5- 6 hundred but don't take my word for it. Check out the

http://www.carvinmuseum.com

and ask all the questions you want. I'm playing A DC 200 right now. You can here it here:

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=28716

Sorry for the shameless plug tongue.gif but just so you can hear it. The song was recorded with two different Carvin Electrics. Oh and you won't have to pay for a set-up because they come from factory ready to go. This is one like I plan to order when I save enough.

http://www.carvin.com/guitars-in-stock/big/86789b.jpg

Aren't Carvin's mostly made in neck-through style? My ex-guitarists was one with a trem system....

That wangcaster's hilarious. rofl3.gif

Yeah most of their flagship models are neck through although they have a few that are bolt on and the CT line is set in like a Paul or PRS. The neck through offers such nice sustain though.

QUOTE (hunter @ Aug 18 2007, 12:10 PM)
That wangcaster's hilarious. rofl3.gif

Yeah most of their flagship models are neck through although they have a few that are bolt on and the CT line is set in like a Paul or PRS. The neck through offers such nice sustain though.

Yeah, when it came for soloing, the neck through changes the guitarists thoughts...He was hanging on notes a little bit more. I thought it was cool because there was less shredding & more feeling in what he was playing. I liked the sound...I forget which model he got (of course, this was 15 years ago...)

The wangcaster gives new meaning to playing with yourself ohmy.gif

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Aug 17 2007, 06:01 PM)
First, I worked at two music retailers for 5 of the last 7 years. I'm quite well aware of price markets regarding music equipment.
Second, unless you live near to the person, this becomes a very moot point. Also, you support taking advantage of someone who is desperate for money?
The point of major music retailers is that you are covered for 30 days (return policy) on used gear as well as new. Furthering that point, the two places I worked for actually took care of the person if there was a defect in it. We thrived on it.
Taking this a little bit further, you can buy a warranty for a little bit of cash & you were covered for usually better than the warranty. Covered for what you paid for the gear & not the pro-rated. Almost every piece of gear drops in value. Those that are deemed worthy, don't. Gibson & Fender are two names that hold market value for most guitars. Ibanez? Nope, never will (that I know of). Most PRS guitar won't hold market value (except private stock). As for your guitar, sounds like someone was desperate for money & took what they could rather than getting market value. So you made out on a deal. That's good for you. But I still stand by my suggestions of steering clear of private sales. Because, you still don't know what's wrong with it & once the sale is done, it's done.

You tend to read alot into my posts. I don't think people should take advantage of other people's misfortunes. However, if the guy I got my PRS from could have got a better deal from the music store where he bought it don't you think he would have? I know he shopped it around because I first saw the guitar hanging in a consignment shop with a 1400 price tag on it. (This was a looooooong time ago 87 or 88)

I had 1100 bucks in my checking account and no job. I bought the guitar anyway. It was possible that I would need to turn around and sell it for rent money. I doubt I would have profited.

The main objective of any business is to make money. They only offer a 30 day return policy because that makes people fell better about parting with their cash. It works on me.

However, if you can't tell the condition of a guitar from a careful check of the neck, frets, intonation and whether the electronics work then chances are you could buy a defective guitar with a factory warranty and never even know there was something wrong.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you worked in musical instrument sales right?

QUOTE (Rand @ Aug 23 2007, 03:37 PM)
QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Aug 17 2007, 06:01 PM)
First, I worked at two music retailers for 5 of the last 7 years. I'm quite well aware of price markets regarding music equipment.
Second, unless you live near to the person, this becomes a very moot point. Also, you support taking advantage of someone who is desperate for money?
The point of major music retailers is that you are covered for 30 days (return policy) on used gear as well as new. Furthering that point, the two places I worked for actually took care of the person if there was a defect in it. We thrived on it.
Taking this a little bit further, you can buy a warranty for a little bit of cash & you were covered for usually better than the warranty. Covered for what you paid for the gear & not the pro-rated. Almost every piece of gear drops in value. Those that are deemed worthy, don't. Gibson & Fender are two names that hold market value for most guitars. Ibanez? Nope, never will (that I know of). Most PRS guitar won't hold market value (except private stock). As for your guitar, sounds like someone was desperate for money & took what they could rather than getting market value. So you made out on a deal. That's good for you. But I still stand by my suggestions of steering clear of private sales. Because, you still don't know what's wrong with it & once the sale is done, it's done.

You tend to read alot into my posts. I don't think people should take advantage of other people's misfortunes. However, if the guy I got my PRS from could have got a better deal from the music store where he bought it don't you think he would have? I know he shopped it around because I first saw the guitar hanging in a consignment shop with a 1400 price tag on it. (This was a looooooong time ago 87 or 88)

I had 1100 bucks in my checking account and no job. I bought the guitar anyway. It was possible that I would need to turn around and sell it for rent money. I doubt I would have profited.

The main objective of any business is to make money. They only offer a 30 day return policy because that makes people fell better about parting with their cash. It works on me.

However, if you can't tell the condition of a guitar from a careful check of the neck, frets, intonation and whether the electronics work then chances are you could buy a defective guitar with a factory warranty and never even know there was something wrong.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you worked in musical instrument sales right?

I did work in instrumental sales. We took the 30 day policy beyond stipulations & such. Honestly, we took a piece back after 4 months just because the customer was truly unhappy. We worked as best we could with the return. 30 day return policies are in place not to get you to buy the piece but buy the right piece. Let's suppose you purchase that PRS used from GC. It feels great, you play it for 8 hours before you buy it. You take it home. You play everyday for 30 days but everyday, you're not satisfied with the way it feels or sounds....You know what? You return it & you can get your money back or buy another one that you may like.

I've worked for quite a few years. I've return quite a few items. Some of the people made a rash decision (which was not provoked by me) & realized later that they didn't like what they bought. Some just get their money back. Others, went with something else. It's not just a teaser to get someone to buy. Most retailers will take almost anything back if pressed. Reason? Not one General manager wants corporate to get a bad letter. There was a time when GC was offering $500 to a person who sent a bad letter about their experience with one of their stores!

So, ok, I may have looked too far into what you were saying however, it doesn't take away from the fact that retailers are not that bad. As far as GC is concerned, they screwed me & LSM over but I will still go back & buy from them. Why? Because they are the largest & the best at what they do. You can always find a few diamond salesperson that truly will take care of you & they have the 30/30 guarantee. Check up on that sometime, you may find it interesting......

As for warranties, you may not need to get that warranty taken care of. If you have 30 days (or 60 days) to find out if it defective (which should be plenty of time for anyone to find this out). You can exchange it (even sometimes when the return policy is over!) if you need rather than getting it fixed. I've changed guys strings (I'm a drummer BTW), truss rod adjustments, gotten frets filed (if needed), even gave away free Gibson tuning pegs because the kid dropped his guitar & broke it (his parents were telling me it was defective when the kid told me he dropped it). No problem, I took care of it. That's what we did. I have about thousands stories of something I or one of my co-workers did that was supported by corporate. Again, I'm telling people that private sales aren't all they are cracked up to be. I found a lot of slimes trying to take advantage of me either buying or selling. I'd rather the real deal & know that I am going to be taken care of.

That's my rant for now.