Hail to the King! 'Bubba Ho Tep' special edition

Jack Aubrey

My wife is gonna kill me. As a movie nut, I'm usually buying DVDs on the day of their release. After a few months a special edition of these DVDs are usually released and as an obsessive-compulsive collector I usually buy them, too.

The place: a local retail store. The time: the very near future.

Me: "Ooh, the special edition 'Bubba Ho Tep'! Must have, got to have."

She: "But you already have it, don't you?"

Me: "Well, yes, but I don't have the Special Edition."

She: "What's the difference?"

Me: "Well, this ones got deleted scenes, commentaries, stuff like that."

She: "And this is necessary because?"

Me: "For all the great behind-the-scenes stories! Duh!"

She: "All right, but you sooo owe me one."

Me: "Whaddaya mean? You're more than welcome to watch this with me!" (Grin.)

She: (Gives "the look".)

Me: (Oblivious.) "Yeah, commentaries are really very cool, you don't know what you're missing!"

She: "Yes I do. I'm missing a boring-ass director explain why he used a blue filter instead of a violet filter for the lighting in scene five."

Me: (Brightening.) "Exactly! Oh man, I've been hoping for so long that you'd eventually break down and....wait a minute. You're being sarcastic, aren't you?"

She: "Oh no, honey. Never. Not in a million years. Nuh-uh."

Me: "Cool, because the special edition of 'Troy' is due out in a few months!"

She: (Imitating a newscaster.) "A local man was found dead today in the parking lot of a local retail store with a DVD jammed down his throat. Film at eleven."

Here's what to look for on August 8th:

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/51SVsjmFppL._SS500_.jpg

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Aug 4 2007, 01:04 AM)
I've never seen the movie... looks interesting, to say the least. Although I'm not sure if it's a good or bad interesting.

Is it worth being rented? I'll trust you.

Oh, yeah. I guarantee it's one of the most unique horror movies you'll ever see. Sure it's cheesy with a capital 'C', and there's a lot of "oh, come on!" moments, but this movie's got a great story and a lot of heart. Also, it was Ossie Davis' last movie.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Aug 4 2007, 05:12 AM)
I've never seen the movie... looks interesting, to say the least. Although I'm not sure if it's a good or bad interesting.

Oh, yeah. I guarantee it's one of the most unique horror movies you'll ever see. Sure it's cheesy with a capital 'C', and there's a lot of "oh, come on!" moments, but this movie's got a great story and a lot of heart. Also, it was Ossie Davis' last movie.

Is it better than the Evil Dead series, including Army of Darkness? Similar?

I can't wait. I loved the reg. edition. Something about Bruce Campbell that makes this all so worth it. And JFK? heh I miss the Evil Dead series as well. I wouls hope that Sam Raimi would put a new one together.

DEAD BY DAWN

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Aug 4 2007, 10:50 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Aug 4 2007, 05:12 AM)

Is it better than the Evil Dead series, including Army of Darkness? Similar?

Comparing it to the ED series would be unfair. It's like comparing strawberries and blueberries. I love both, but they definitely don't taste at all alike.

Put it this way: take early seventies horror, mix in a little 'Blue Hawaii' and 'JFK', a touch of dark humor, give it a heart, and you've pretty much got 'Bubba'.

If nothing else, watch it for Campbell's performance as Elvis. He is truly great in that role.

Here's the link to watch the trailer.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Aug 4 2007, 02:33 PM)
laugh.gif

Funny commentary Jack. I loved it. I might even rent the movie now. laugh.gif

Thanks, man! biggrin.gif