A bit on the PS3 and HD-DVD

Jack Aubrey

OK, here's an item from The Digital Bits: (Emphasis mine.)

Sony's about to give the PlayStation 3 a new update (due tomorrow - version 1.80) that will reportedly allow the unit to upconvert PS2 and PS3 games, as well as standard definition DVDs, to 1080p video. Other new functionality is being added as well.

So whaddaya know? It's possible to do that. Well, I'm going to have to wait a bit longer to buy my HD-DVD player until they contain that technology.

at this point there are so many issues with the next gen consoles and the HDDVD/Bluray thing that its no wonder the public is waiting and the PS2 is still king.

PS3s software titles are always getting delayed into 2008 and they are also losing formerly exclusive titles like Devil May Cry to Microsoft.

Xbox 360 Elites were supposed to fix the problem of Red-Rings but current 360 users can't transfer their hard drives without losing files. And I stupidly bought the original 360 system one month before the Elite was confirmed as real.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 24 2007, 03:41 PM)
OK, here's an item from The Digital Bits: (Emphasis mine.)

Sony's about to give the PlayStation 3 a new update (due tomorrow - version 1.80) that will reportedly allow the unit to upconvert PS2 and PS3 games, as well as standard definition DVDs, to 1080p video. Other new functionality is being added as well.

So whaddaya know? It's possible to do that. Well, I'm going to have to wait a bit longer to buy my HD-DVD player until they contain that technology.

I've seen some screen shots (unfortunately don't have them handy) and the PS2 and DVD upscaling looks excellent!

I almost bought a PS3 today, that is until I start bidding on the guitar in that other thread we're in Jack - and also a second guitar - used, played and signed by one of my favorite metal bands Fear Factory.

I guess at this point I just really 'need' a guitar more than a PS3.

And by 'need' I mean spoiled. Also my only other electric is hosed at this point and requires the equivalent of heart surgery.

Either way it's just a matter of time til PS3. I think Matrix on BluRay (along with Predator already released) will be the straw-that-broke-the-camels-back so to speak.

Sony ALWAYS kicks ass in the long run - look at games like Guitar Hero or Katamari Damacy for example.

Oh plus I am currently afflicted with 360 'red ring o death' syndrome. Grrrr.

smile.gif