Need help with this one.

"it's somehow so badly arranged"

This line amongst many.

Think in terms of the philosophy expressed in "Losing It":

"Some are born to move the world

To live their fantasies

But most of us just dream about

The things we'd like to be..."

And Neil's saying, in "The Larger Bowl", "Well, that's kind of f**ked up. Who f**ked that up? Oh well. Sure is a lot of pain on this Earth, though. That sucks."

QUOTE (hope70 @ May 6 2007, 05:24 PM)
Thanks Kudzu, but how does this relate to the faith theme and religion?

Well, it's addressed to whoever created the universe, I think. It's not explicitly religious, but it's kind of a comment on the way the world is (and the way it's always been, and the way it always will be, in all likelihood).

"Well, it's addressed to whoever created the universe, I think. "

That's exactly what I thought. To me this is another clue that, although Neil doesn't follow a god, he acknowledges that there might be one since we don't truly know how all of this got here. He's looking at the problems in the world and saying that if a higher power did in fact create all of this, they didn't do a very good job.

I'm glad you mentioned it, Hope.

My current confusion is how "some are blessed and some are cursed".

Doesn't that sort of contradict the concepts illustrated in FreeWill? unsure.gif

Maybe it's not a sentiment being expressed itself but a sort of quote being argued against?

....hold on, lemme listen again. Nope, nu uh.

It seems to be a geniune expression. It's backed up by "different fortunes and fates" as blessed and cursed are also different,

as well as "the golden one" versus one "scarred from birth".

Additionally, the argument seems to be pointed against a popular ("like I always hear") idea that "we're so much the same."

Perhaps, y'all can help me understand. smile.gif

What a beautiful song, though! You can just hear that snake's tail a-rattlin'. cool.gif

I think it's just a statement about the way the world is. I suspect it is one of the main reasons why Neil (and many others) don't believe in God -- that is, IF there is a God, then "why such different fortunes and fates"? But I don't think the further question of the existence of God is what this particular song is supposed to be about.

I think this song is just describing one hard truth about life using the structure of a pantoum.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ May 6 2007, 06:21 PM)
It's from a dysentary dream Neil had when he was in Africa. Read the Masked Rider.

The title came from the dream; I don't think the song did.

In the larger bowl, there's not just yummy beans, rice, and cilantro...

QUOTE (Kudzu @ May 6 2007, 06:37 PM)
QUOTE (pedro2112 @ May 6 2007, 06:21 PM)
It's from a dysentary dream Neil had when he was in Africa. Read the Masked Rider.

The title came from the dream; I don't think the song did.

In the larger bowl, there's not just yummy beans, rice, and cilantro...

laugh.gif

maybe we're smoking from a larger bowl unsure.gif

biggrin.gif

cool10.gif

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ May 6 2007, 08:11 PM)
Doesn't that sort of contradict the concepts illustrated in FreeWill?  unsure.gif
QUOTE (trenken @ May 6 2007, 07:47 PM)

That's exactly what I thought. To me this is another clue that, although Neil doesn't follow a god, he acknowledges that there might be one

That's an interesting take on it, however, one could just as easily conclude that "this is another clue that" Neil believes there is no God since if there was a God, things would be "arranged" better. Another possibility is that Neil intended no religious connotation and "badly arranged" just meant that it sucks that so many children are starving. Or maybe he's complaining that humanity doesn't have its priorities straight (remember "we don't feed the people, but we feed the machines"?)

Or maybe it's all of the above.

QUOTE (hope70 @ May 6 2007, 06:29 PM)
Hey Rolinda, I'll be out to see Rush at the Cricket in July. I'm meeting my brother who lives in AZ.
I'll be seeing them first on 7/2 in NY.

cheeze whiz, i hope i figure this song out before then. confused13.gif

i mean, i get confused often, but usually not for that long. unsure.gif

1022.gif << lol I agree with the person who put 1022.gif I like it lol,I believe its about what eva you want to believe its about , me personaly I believe its an extention of some of Neils feelings from the Vapor Trails lyrics, What ever you think I think 1022.gif I like it my favoraTE

QUOTE (deslock @ May 6 2007, 06:52 PM)
QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ May 6 2007, 08:11 PM)
Doesn't that sort of contradict the concepts illustrated in FreeWill?  unsure.gif

That's exactly what I thought. To me this is another clue that, although Neil doesn't follow a god, he acknowledges that there might be one

That's an interesting take on it, however, one could just as easily conclude that "this is another clue that" Neil believes there is no God since if there was a God, things would be "arranged" better. Another possibility is that Neil intended no religious connotation and "badly arranged" just meant that it sucks that so many children are starving. Or maybe he's complaining that humanity doesn't have its priorities straight (remember "we don't feed the people, but we feed the machines"?)

Or maybe it's all of the above.

hey thanks for the link, deslock trink39.gif

i have the exact same question...redlenses just articulated it better.

and while i find some of those responses helpful, i'm not quite there yet.

more please! smile.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ May 6 2007, 06:47 PM)

That's exactly what I thought. To me this is another clue that, although Neil doesn't follow a god, he acknowledges that there might be one since we don't truly know how all of this got here. He's looking at the problems in the world and saying that if a higher power did in fact create all of this, they didn't do a very good job.

The creation part was fine, until Mankind F**ked it up!

Well...this is currently my favourite track on S&A.

Judging strictly from what I read in Neil's lyrics, he is basically looking at the world the way it is today. He is comparing all humans on this earth, based on their luck and/or misfortunes.

You have people in this world who wake up, can go take a shower, make a cup of coffee and head to work. You have other people who wake up to gunfire and wars.

You have those who are extremely wealthy, and then you have those who have no money. Those who have an abundance of water, and those who are forced to drink dirty water; those who throw leftover food in the garbage, and those who are hungry everyday.

Bottom line: I take this song as a simple comparison about how so many humans on this earth have such different types of lives. Neil is questioning why if there should be equality between people, then 'why such different fortunes and fates'.

That's just my understanding... bolt.gif

"The oakes are just to lofty, They grab up all the light"

"They can't help the way their made"

The world is the way it is and it is that way because it is. There is no "design" for some of the things that occur in this world. Neil is just saying, some folks got it, and some folks don't. But there is hope!!

common001.gif applaudit.gif cheer.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 7 2007, 12:31 PM)

Judging strictly from what I read in Neil's lyrics, he is basically looking at the world the way it is today. He is comparing all humans on this earth, based on their luck and/or misfortunes.

You have people in this world who wake up, can go take a shower, make a cup of coffee and head to work. You have other people who wake up to gunfire and wars.

You have those who are extremely wealthy, and then you have those who have no money. Those who have an abundance of water, and those who are forced to drink dirty water; those who throw leftover food in the garbage, and those who are hungry everyday.

Bottom line: I take this song as a simple comparison about how so many humans on this earth have such different types of lives. Neil is questioning why if there should be equality between people, then 'why such different fortunes and fates'.

yeh i agree completely yes.gif

When I eat cereal, I often choose the larger bowl of the two bowls I use most. For soup, I use the smaller bowl.

Neil was thinking of me when he chose that title. I just know he was! ohmy.gif

It can also be interpreted to as both the golden one and the scarred from birth suffer... "such a lot of pain."

I mean Neil has pretty much had a "golden one's" life and yet I bet he'd give it all up to have his family back. ...Such a lot of pain...

I just look at it as Neil touching upon some of the same themes and questions he has written about previously...circumstances, chances, "Why are we here? because we're here. Why does it happen..."

Sometimes these chances, these mystic rhythms, these ebbs and flows, these motions that swing the sky are viewed in a more positive light...In S&A they are viewed from the dark side of our mind

IMHO

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 7 2007, 12:31 PM)

From about 15 to about 40 years of age I thought RUSH could do no wrong. The music was awesome and lyrics were enlightening.

But now at 46, I believe all three of them are justed as screwed up as the rest of us. While I feel for Neil Peart's tragedies, I have had a few of my own and his recent lyrics are down right sad and depressing. I really miss the old energetic RUSH back in the good old days of the 70's and early 80's. I keep hoping the next album will be back on track...

They just continue to drift further and further from the band I once enjoyed. I often cringe when I listen to some of this new material, sad just plain sad I tell you.

As for Emotion Detectors comments...

I agree, there are many people that exist at both ends of the "blessing/curse" spectrum, the have's and have not's as it were.

But I don't agree with Neil Peart that God (if there is one, is all screwed up).

I believe it is more plausible to believe that God does exists, and he allows things to be as they are and will in the end make things right.

Perhaps the differences we sometimes fear to show are here to test our character.

If the "theory" that Christ's blood can wash away our sins is true, then everyone regards of how screwed there life was/is can live in paradise for all eternity.

note: I don't mean to push my faith on anyone, it's my 2cents.

Think it thru and choose your own belief system.

But for me and my family, I'll choose Jesus Christ.

Archived