Spindrift at 2:38 and 3:30, What is that Tone ?

SeahawkRush

QUOTE (trenken @ May 1 2007, 06:14 PM)
Sounds like a background guitar or keyboard note leading into the next section.

if that's the case, isn't it out of tune???

QUOTE (NISH2112 @ May 1 2007, 08:19 PM)

There are plenty of dissonate sounds in that song. They're meant to be there. They're meant to sound ugly. Adds to the tension.

QUOTE (Chutsk10 @ May 1 2007, 11:36 PM)
Sounds like the little ding you get from pushing the call button on an airplane.

or when an elevator hits the floor it is stopping at (well sorta like that !)

QUOTE (NISH2112 @ May 1 2007, 07:19 PM)

in prog, its good to be out of tune once in a while. just to keep things interesting. and to break the rules

QUOTE (geoffreaux @ May 1 2007, 11:39 PM)
i rather like them.

they add a bit of tension

I don't mind them.......I guess.

I just wondered what the Hell they were!

QUOTE (Kudzu @ May 1 2007, 11:47 PM)
I'm too busy loving "Spindrift" to be arsed about a few noises you guys think you hear in the background. What a f**king hardcore song.

I DON'T THINK I HEARD THEM, I KNOW I DID. DOESN'T MAKE IT A BAD SONG. I AM JUST WONDERING WHAT THE HELL THOSE UGLY TONES ARE! 2:38 AND 3:30 MARKS

SO, BITE ME!

I really don't think that's a keyboard. There are plenty of ambient sounds in this album that might sound like keyboards at first but if you listen really closely, they're guitar.

Geddy's only credited with playing bass, bass pedals, and mellotron on this album. There are no spacey bleepy-bloopy synths on this album, and the mellotron is only used sparingly.

I've listened closely to these bits in "Spindrift" after the talk about the editing error in "We Hold On," and in this case I'm sure they're intentional, or at least they're an actual part of the track, not an editing error.

I don't think they're actually played notes -- I think they're just some stray fret noise or feedback on one of the guitar tracks. One thing I've noticed with recent recordings is that modern digital technology captures a lot of bass frequencies that used to get lost.

In particular this happens in the bass frequencies of the drums and guitar, where in the past those frequencies were either EQ'd out or just not really captured to begin with, now they're still there, and if you listen on a system with enough bass response, they'll often cause dissonant interference waves against the bass guitar track (which, aside from the bass drum, is the only instrument that really SHOULD be pumping out those frequencies on a recording, at least in my opinion).

One of the biggest problems with the MIX on Vapor Trails (as opposed to the oversaturated master, which has been discussed to death) was that the guitar lines didn't have those low frequencies EQ'd out, and they often clashed with each other or with the bass guitar. This is also a problem on R30. On S&A I don't notice it so much with the guitar parts, but rather with the floor toms.

But I digress. The point is, live instruments always produce "unintentional" tones along with the actual "notes" the musician is playing. For the most part, it's good in that it's what makes things sound REAL instead of like a cheesy '80s Casio keyboard. But a clean-sounding recording requires equalization so that different instrumental tracks don't clash in some of those frequencies.

Wait, I'm still digressing! My point in relation to this thread is that I think the tones we're hearing in "Spindrift" are from the guitar, but I don't think they're "notes" that Alex intentionally played. That said, I actually kind of like them. There's a tremendous amount of musical tension at those points in the song, and a little cacophonous addition to the sound by stray fret noise is a good thing!

QUOTE (Room 34 @ May 3 2007, 10:46 AM)
I really don't think that's a keyboard. There are plenty of ambient sounds in this album that might sound like keyboards at first but if you listen really closely, they're guitar.

Geddy's only credited with playing bass, bass pedals, and mellotron on this album. There are no spacey bleepy-bloopy synths on this album, and the mellotron is only used sparingly.

I've listened closely to these bits in "Spindrift" after the talk about the editing error in "We Hold On," and in this case I'm sure they're intentional, or at least they're an actual part of the track, not an editing error.

I don't think they're actually played notes -- I think they're just some stray fret noise or feedback on one of the guitar tracks. One thing I've noticed with recent recordings is that modern digital technology captures a lot of bass frequencies that used to get lost.

In particular this happens in the bass frequencies of the drums and guitar, where in the past those frequencies were either EQ'd out or just not really captured to begin with, now they're still there, and if you listen on a system with enough bass response, they'll often cause dissonant interference waves against the bass guitar track (which, aside from the bass drum, is the only instrument that really SHOULD be pumping out those frequencies on a recording, at least in my opinion).

One of the biggest problems with the MIX on Vapor Trails (as opposed to the oversaturated master, which has been discussed to death) was that the guitar lines didn't have those low frequencies EQ'd out, and they often clashed with each other or with the bass guitar. This is also a problem on R30. On S&A I don't notice it so much with the guitar parts, but rather with the floor toms.

But I digress. The point is, live instruments always produce "unintentional" tones along with the actual "notes" the musician is playing. For the most part, it's good in that it's what makes things sound REAL instead of like a cheesy '80s Casio keyboard. But a clean-sounding recording requires equalization so that different instrumental tracks don't clash in some of those frequencies.

Wait, I'm still digressing! My point in relation to this thread is that I think the tones we're hearing in "Spindrift" are from the guitar, but I don't think they're "notes" that Alex intentionally played. That said, I actually kind of like them. There's a tremendous amount of musical tension at those points in the song, and a little cacophonous addition to the sound by stray fret noise is a good thing!

goodpost.gif

nice post, I agree. like I said before I don't mind them I just wondered what they were, and what others thought. the other thing i noticed is that they are right in time with the song (beginning of a measure). that made me wonder if it was supposed to be there.

thanks for your input!

QUOTE (NISH2112 @ May 1 2007, 06:52 PM)
Has anybody else heard those awful tones at the 2:38 and 3:30 marks of Spindrift. Can't figure out what they are.

Sounds to me like an early guitar lead in to the following section of the song....sounds alright to me.

It's definitely intentional and musical to my ears. I hear two notes actually being played during each of those parts one after another. I like it! 'teeeeeng-tooooong'

There's a lot of long, ambient/keyboardy single note guitar bits like this throughout the album. Very cool stuff.

Archived