'Dreams With Sharp Teeth'

Jack Aubrey

This is interesting, because just last week I was talking to my brother-in-law, Chris, about writers, and how there are no Sci Fi writers who have ever achieved the status of standard fiction writers. You know, where are Sci Fi's Hemingways, Steinbecks, or Bucks, or even Wouks? Chris fixed me with his bespectacled gaze and said: "Two words: Harlan Ellison". I winced and said: "yeah, I've heard of him, he wrote a script for 'Star Trek', but actually detests the show, right?" "No," Chris replied "he loved the show, but he hated what they did to his script. You should read the revised version and then read Ellison's original. Then you'd understand. But besides 'Star Trek', the guy has written much better stuff. I mean, really, really great transcendent stuff!" This was the first time I had ever heard Chris use the term 'transcendent' to refer to an author. I was intrigued. Damned if Chris doesn't know exactly how to hook me! Furthermore, Chris told me that even though his stuff is mostly categorized as Sci Fi, Ellison doesn't consider himself a Sci Fi writer, but a man who writes about the human condition in a Sci Fi setting. I can live with that, I decided.

So on the way home, I went to Barnes & Noble and picked up a copy of a huge tome called 'The Essential Ellison'. I've got three books to read before I get to it but after all that Chris said and all that I've read on the web, I just might read it next.

And now today I was over on Ain't It Cool News and found out that someone has made a documentary about the guy. So go to the official website and click to watch the trailer for 'Dreams With Sharp Teeth'. Cool title, huh?

First off, I think there ARE highly acclaimed sci-fi authors. Robert Heinlein, Isaac Asmiov, Arthur C. Clarke, Ray Bradbury anyone? confused13.gif

Harlan Ellison is one seriously disturbed individual (but in a good way) - beware his short stories, they bite. wink.gif

He was responsible for two amazing landmark sci-fi short story collections in the late 60's and early 70's called Dangerous Visions and Dangerous Visions II - very influential.

I love reading sci-fi. yes.gif

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 19 2007, 05:02 PM)
beware his short stories, they bite. wink.gif

Yeah, uhh, hence the title of the doco, right?