Problems

pixey

QUOTE (Rivendell @ Dec 2 2004, 09:53 PM)
QUOTE (pixey @ Dec 2 2004, 09:50 PM)
Ya lost me there Riv.

I went into the device manager and uninstalled the cd/dvd, wiindows redetected upon restart. That didnt work.
Everything was already on the computer when I bought it. Most of the time I use Musicmatch to burn.

OK. I may know what it is. Who makes the DVD burner? Is there a brand name? I bet when windows detected it it did not install proper drivers for it. I don't think it has generic DVD burner drivers. Or, what is the model Gateway you have?

Hmmm they should still have been loaded. Tis a pickle.

Ok in Drive D it says it is working fine and the drive in enabled. The manufacturer is Standard. When I go into driver details it says that it is not digitally signed and there are a ton of files there but only 4 have a green checkmarked icon next to the files.

I just downloaded that last week and wasnt sure if I should do it or not! lol. I will do it now.

Ok new problems.

I downloaded Gateway updates and I downloaded from Lime Wire a dvd decoder. Now when I put in the dvd it doesnt do anything but every few times I put one in I still dont get a prompt to choose which program I would like to use but the dvd I put in shows up in My Computer in the dvd folder. Thats when trouble starts, If I try to open the folder or use Windows Media Player to open it it stops responding and I have to take the dvd out before my computer gets to respond again. I did a restart too.

QUOTE (pixey @ Dec 3 2004, 04:00 PM)
Ok new problems.

I downloaded Gateway updates and I downloaded from Lime Wire a dvd decoder. Now when I put in the dvd it doesnt do anything but every few times I put one in I still dont get a prompt to choose which program I would like to use but the dvd I put in shows up in My Computer in the dvd folder. Thats when trouble starts, If I try to open the folder or use Windows Media Player to open it it stops responding and I have to take the dvd out before my computer gets to respond again. I did a restart too.

That is an easy fix:

Go to my computer and RIGHT click the drive letter for this dvd player drive.

Choose properties from the popup menu

Choose the "Autoplay" Tab.

Select from the dropdown box which media type we are talking about, then click the radio button to Select an action, then choose which action (Which program you want it to open with when you pop that kind of media in that drive)

Hit OK, and now try.

Above is answer to what seems to be an autoplay problem, but dude, I think your drive is just messed up. Microcenter here has DVD RW's that actually even do DUAL layer now (very cool!) for $79.99 after an instant $20 rebate. I would just replace the thing, let XP reinstall the new one and you are set.

I already have autoplay checked. I saw on my help center that the decoder is supposed to have a drive with it so I am downloading a differant one. If that doesnt work then Farg it! Ill just have to get a new one! BTW Thanks to Barney and Riv who have tried to help me alot!

QUOTE (pixey @ Dec 3 2004, 02:16 PM)
I already have autoplay checked. I saw on my help center that the decoder is supposed to have a drive with it so I am downloading a differant one. If that doesnt work then Farg it! Ill just have to get a new one! BTW Thanks to Barney and Riv who have tried to help me alot!

No problem, Pixey. I really was hoping we could get it to work, but I do agree that it sounds like your hardware is trashed. Companies set it to explode a couple days after the warranty expires.

Archived