The Case for MP3 format

barney_rebel

QUOTE (Indica @ Dec 8 2004, 03:01 AM)
I have some sweet computer speakers and that helps a lot. When I rip mp3 from CD's I always rip them to 320 (I think) instead of 128 because I'm not worried about the space on my huge hard drive (that sounded funny for some reason). I like to use winamp and have a few thousand mp3's on my playlist and just hit random. I never mess with putting Cd's in and out and scratching them up all the time.

I have a decent ear and although I know it doesn't sound as good as CD on my stereo, I think it's worth the difference because it's so convienent. It's fine for sitting around messing around on the computer and I hardly hear the same song twice in one week when I have it set on random because I have so many mp3.

The cymbals does sound tinny, I EQ everything pretty well but it's hard to fix the sound of the cymbals on a mp3.

Hey Indy, that's what I do here too! When I got a new head unit for the car that has WMA capabilities, I did a batch conversion of ALL my audio files so I now have TWO SETS of everything on my PC! One in mp3 and now one in WMA. Nuts wacko.gif I know! But I find I pull up the WMA files for listening. I think it does sound beter and the cymbals don't sound so tinny. Since you got the hard drive space, try converting a couple songs and compare. Since you listen the same way I do, I'd be interested to hear what you think of MP3 compared to WMA. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Dec 8 2004, 09:00 AM)
QUOTE (Indica @ Dec 8 2004, 03:01 AM)
I have some sweet computer speakers and that helps a lot. When I rip mp3 from CD's I always rip them to 320 (I think) instead of 128 because I'm not worried about the space on my huge hard drive (that sounded funny for some reason). I like to use winamp and have a few thousand mp3's on my playlist and just hit random. I never mess with putting Cd's in and out and scratching them up all the time.

I have a decent ear and although I know it doesn't sound as good as CD on my stereo, I think it's worth the difference because it's so convienent. It's fine for sitting around messing around on the computer and I hardly hear the same song twice in one week when I have it set on random because I have so many mp3.

The cymbals does sound tinny, I EQ everything pretty well but it's hard to fix the sound of the cymbals on a mp3.

What computer speakers do you hvae? I need some decent ones!

I have some Boston Acoustic reference speakers with a seperate amp and EQ. I mix music on my computer through cakewalk so I need a good speaker system so I can hear everything. A good soundcard is essential too. My computer is a little recording studio.

As far as comparing a mp3 to wma, I think wma sounds better. I have a few wma files myself. I admit that I steal music from winmx in mp3 format too (I know I'm bad). I send the songs I record through emails quite a bit too so mp3 is better for that since it's a smaller file and some files are too big to send through email unless you compress them and if you do that then you might as well convert the files, unless someone knows a better way that I need to know about. smile.gif

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Dec 8 2004, 12:31 PM)
I think it depends on which mp3 format we are talking here, there is everything from 16 kb/s to 1440 kb/s, 1440 I believe is equivalent to wav, right?

That's what I thought, but isn't almost as big too, at that bit rate? I thought I heard that. confused13.gif

QUOTE (afansince74 @ Dec 8 2004, 06:56 PM)
QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Dec 8 2004, 12:31 PM)
I think it depends on which mp3 format we are talking here, there is everything from 16 kb/s to 1440 kb/s, 1440 I believe is equivalent to wav, right?

That's what I thought, but isn't almost as big too, at that bit rate? I thought I heard that. confused13.gif

I think it's still only 1/5 of the size. I will find out for sure when I get back to NY and get on my computer with all my proggies.

** .WAV files are 1141kbps for the record.

**NEW**

Ok, here is a comparison I made for everyone to listen to. There are 7- 21 second clips all at different bit rates. Judge for yourselves.

MP3 Comparisons

Archived