The Bell Jar

Mustard Death

Anyone read The Bell Jar, by Sylvia Plath? How about some of her amazing poetry?

If anybody's into her, whether the book made you incredibly depressed, changed you, or just bored the hell out of you.... or if her poetry is eloquent, touching, or just hard as hell to understand... talk about it here.

I thought the book was amazing, tragic, but amazing... one of my favourite reads ever. And her poetry... although difficult to read, is pretty spectacular as well. What do you guys think?

I always intended to get around to reading "The Bell Jar," but I know it'll depress the hell out of me, so I'm reticent.

"Catcher in the Rye" by JD Salinger is one of my favorite books, but I have to be in a great mood before attempting to re-read it. If I'm already a little depressed, reading the book will put me over the edge. I'm guessing "The Bell Jar" would be the same.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 4 2007, 06:20 PM)
I read it many years ago. Depressing as hell, but I guess required reading for many. Yes, she's a great writer and poet, but I'm not about to revisit her work anytime soon either...

You should definitely read the short story Johnny Panic and the Bible of Dreams. Not near as depressing, 80 times as trippy.

Probably my favourite work by her now.

I read it a few months ago. I didn't find it too depressing, more like, relieving that I made it through my teens and twenties. I would reccomend it for sure. Also an interesting glimpse into life in the 60s.

Hey, my thread got revived! Thanks djb.

Well, Johnny Panic and the Bible of Dreams is still the work I would recommend to anyone by her... amazing collection of short stories. And her collected poems is great also.

Guess I'll let this thread die again now laugh.gif

"Sylvia Plath. Interesting poetess whose tragic suicide was seen as 'romantic' by the college girl mentality."

- Woody Allen in Annie Hall

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 9 2007, 02:43 PM)
"Sylvia Plath. Interesting poetess whose tragic suicide was seen as 'romantic' by the college girl mentality."

You know, I can't stand Woody Allen but I have to admit that's a great quote! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Aug 9 2007, 02:30 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 9 2007, 02:43 PM)
"Sylvia Plath.  Interesting poetess whose tragic suicide was seen as 'romantic' by the college girl mentality."

You know, I can't stand Woody Allen but I have to admit that's a great quote! laugh.gif

Woody's great!